Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

shananigan
01.12.2012 , 10:52 AM | #21
lol, BW is really going all out blaming peoples computers for their engine.
Do or do not, there is no try.

Sykomyke
01.12.2012 , 11:15 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
2. If you are getting a blue memory dump screen, it's usually either a corrupt install of windows, bad settings in your bios, or bad RAM. In the BIOS, check to see if your machine is set to reset on critical errors. This can make the issue hard to narrow down, but is generally safer for the PC.
I'm sorry, but this is simply not correct.

Blue screens do not denote a corrupt installation of windows, bad bios settings, or bad RAM. Those very well may be culprits in some partiuclar instances of recieving a blue screen error; and most noticably the most common ones, but they do not by any means encompass the majority or all of blue screen errors.

If you want to know specifically what is causing this issue to occur I highly suggest "WhoCrashed" as it converts the .dmp files into something that actually makes sense and is easy to discern what may be causing the issue.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

Laurreth
01.12.2012 , 11:37 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by shananigan View Post
lol, BW is really going all out blaming peoples computers for their engine.
Realistically, unless the game is running with admin privileges (i.e., is running on Vista/7 with a normal user account or on XP on a non-admin account), it needs to trigger a driver, kernel, or hardware issue to crash the system so hard that it bluescreens, reboots, or powers down. Normal applications simply don't have the privileges required to do that; the best they can hope to do is crash to desktop (edit: or overheat a system that has insufficient cooling to run at full throttle).

Effectively, this "call to arms" is useful, because a publisher like EA sometimes has enough clout to actually get driver or OS issues fixed, which is something that us mere users can't hope to accomplish by submitting bug reports with driver makers. For an excellent example, see the patchstorm that Rage triggered.

On a sidenote, I seriously hope the patcher drops admin privileges before starting the game, and the game runs with normal user privileges. Any official comment on that?

Lunri
01.12.2012 , 12:08 PM | #24
Alright I found what the problems was "for me", and it might be the same for a lot of you. Game would restart at char creation, couldn't even play the game. Underclocked my cpu, and my gpu, and it works. If I clock either one of them up, it doesn't, and its getting worse. Seems its my power suply. For whatever reason this game just revved my card up enough to bring it out.

shananigan
01.12.2012 , 01:01 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Laurreth View Post
Realistically, unless the game is running with admin privileges (i.e., is running on Vista/7 with a normal user account or on XP on a non-admin account), it needs to trigger a driver, kernel, or hardware issue to crash the system so hard that it bluescreens, reboots, or powers down. Normal applications simply don't have the privileges required to do that; the best they can hope to do is crash to desktop (edit: or overheat a system that has insufficient cooling to run at full throttle).

Effectively, this "call to arms" is useful, because a publisher like EA sometimes has enough clout to actually get driver or OS issues fixed, which is something that us mere users can't hope to accomplish by submitting bug reports with driver makers. For an excellent example, see the patchstorm that Rage triggered.

On a sidenote, I seriously hope the patcher drops admin privileges before starting the game, and the game runs with normal user privileges. Any official comment on that?
I think your contradicting yourself, your saying it is a driver issue yet state the game would not need drivers if running in admin because the game can overide that.
What I am saying, is it is biowares game that is doing this and has nothing to do with the drivers, which seems to be what you are saying as well.

So my statement still stands that it is BW's game that is causing these issues not someones computer as they seem to be claiming.
Do or do not, there is no try.

venjinze
01.12.2012 , 02:16 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by shananigan View Post
I think your contradicting yourself, your saying it is a driver issue yet state the game would not need drivers if running in admin because the game can overide that.
What I am saying, is it is biowares game that is doing this and has nothing to do with the drivers, which seems to be what you are saying as well.

So my statement still stands that it is BW's game that is causing these issues not someones computer as they seem to be claiming.
Stop posting. You have no basis to any of your accusations. You are clearly unable to troubleshoot your own problems or too inept to requisition help to resolve them. You think a directx diagnosis log is some sort of proof that BioWare's game is at fault for your PC performance, or lack thereof. You linked a forum thread as proof to SWTOR's FPS issues, which at the top had a disclaimer in bold red letters stating that the entire post was speculation.

How about trying to help instead of adding to the problem.
I'm a beast.

RobbySThirteen
01.12.2012 , 02:42 PM | #27
I assume by "PC Resets" you are referring to a momentary reset and not a reboot of the entire machine? Been having the same issue of my video freezing, going to a solid black or other color, going to the splash screen, then resetting. First lockup of this session today:

CPU Temp 50C
GPU Temp 58C

Event Log:
Spoiler

DxDiag:
Spoiler

Highcommander
01.12.2012 , 04:04 PM | #28
I wanted to share this small bit of info with players, although I can't say 100% that this is the issue. HOWEVER I wanted players to know that a common reason for instability in games (reset consistently or periodically) can be the following:

RAM modules that are not set correctly in the bios (you can fix this by finding out your Frequency (example 1600) and your timings (example 7,7,7,24) and your voltage (example 1.65v) and going into the bios utility and making sure they are recorded as such. RAM settings are usually detected automatically although some PC's will run them at wrong voltage or timings which can show up for the first time in high-stress situations (example playing SWTOR).

I hope this helps some people!

RobbySThirteen
01.12.2012 , 04:14 PM | #29
There have been upwards of 3000 posts on this issue so I doubt seriously whether that is a cause for this symptom. From what I have read of most of the posts, this symptom didn't appear until the patches after Xmas were put out.

From what I've seen, some common system symptoms are high GPU temperatures on high-end graphics cards. Many users have indicated that they don't have similar problems on lower-end systems so I suspect the problem was introduced during a patch that doesn't properly handle the features of more advanced graphics cards or even CPUs like automatic overclocking (i.e. Intel Turbo).

Were I one of the developers I might go back to the patches to see what graphics and/or cpu performance features might have been enabled lately and try disabling them...but then that's just an educated guess on my part.

Jobet
01.12.2012 , 04:35 PM | #30
If it doesn't reset, but just hangs, should I report in this thread too?