Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Blackwatch
01.11.2012 , 09:01 PM | #11
On a previous build of my computer, I had this same problem.

There are a few options that after much trial, error, and testing, I was led to believe could be the culprit.

1. Hardware error - Likely power supply, could be the motherboard. I read lots of references that led me to RAM error possibility, and I tested, and even replaced the RAM sticks I had, but this didn't help.

2. If you are getting a blue memory dump screen, it's usually either a corrupt install of windows, bad settings in your bios, or bad RAM. In the BIOS, check to see if your machine is set to reset on critical errors. This can make the issue hard to narrow down, but is generally safer for the PC.

3. Overheating, especially of the video card. Make sure that if you have vents on the bottom of your tower/pc case, that it is not flush on carpet, as this will stop the fan/vents on the bottom from releasing hot air. Also, if your power supply is placed to where the fan brings IN air from below the tower, flipping it to where the fan blows OUT can help cooling issues greatly.

In the end, I fought the problem for a long time until I had the cash to build a new pc. This solved the problem for me.

Also, I noticed the issue predominantly when loading graphics heavy games.

Hope this helps to narrow some of the issue down. I know I didn't have a clear solution, but if it helps you to eliminate some possibilities, then it helps some.

Koopababy
01.11.2012 , 09:03 PM | #12
Not sure why you have 2 stickys asking exactly the same thing. but my reply is on the other thread.

Taldieth
01.11.2012 , 11:01 PM | #13
Bioware Dev's,

This issue has been recurring for my wife since 19 Dec 11, and has gotten progressively worse. The latest incident occurred tonight, after 9 minutes of gameplay. Please find attached all of the requested information, as well as the debugged minidump file.

Good luck, hopefully this issue is resolved soon.

Event Viewer:

Spoiler

MiniDump Data

Spoiler

Checkdisk: No Errors

Memory Diagnostic: No Errors

Power Options: PC Doesn't sleep, no Screensaver.

DxDiag:

Spoiler

Any potentially helpful information about triggers: See minidump debug info.

Were you on character select, server select or in-game? In game

If in-game, what were you doing at the time of the reset? Was in a solo instance, had just completed a portion of a quest, then crashed. Previously, it hasn't mattered what was occurring in the game, the crashes are random.

Is it possible the screensaver turned on at the moment of the reset? No. Screensavers are disabled on this machine.

Kyuuu
01.11.2012 , 11:13 PM | #14
Intresting so maybe it was swtor that bsod my pc for first time since i had win7 considering it did bsod when i was in the game

Lacan
01.11.2012 , 11:25 PM | #15
There a few other suggestions that are missing from this

Go to Start, Run (or window's key+R) type CMD

then do /sfc scannow

This is a System file check to make sure that the system is running correctly. (may ask you for your windows disk)

Secondly, would be to turn of User account control. (UAC)

This setting is found under User accounts on control panel. On windows 7 it is a slide bar put it all the way to the bottom.

Perform a Clean install of video drivers. For Nvidia during the install process if you select custom install. You have the option to check perform clean install. This removes all video drivers prior to installing the new ones.

Run Windows updates. Only install windows updates ignore any hardware suggestions.

I ran into an issue where the game after a week all of sudden wouldn't stop crashing my Video drivers. I ended up removing all windows components that SWTOR uses. Then re-installing them. reloaded the drivers using a clean install method and everything been running fine since.

KerWy
01.12.2012 , 01:11 AM | #16
Event Log
Spoiler

DXDIAG
Spoiler

Game crashed to desktop with error warning while riding speeder in Tatooine, Jundland Heroic area.

GreenJelly
01.12.2012 , 09:19 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Koopababy View Post
Not sure why you have 2 stickys asking exactly the same thing. but my reply is on the other thread.
One is for crashing to desktop, the other is for system reboot.

Olrin
01.12.2012 , 09:48 AM | #18
My Alienware Computer used to have this problem. It would happen randomly. And I could CAUSE it to REPEATEDLY happen. (so it was not a heat problem, because i could cuase the reset within 30 seconds of logging into the game). The two places I could cause it to repeatedly to happen was (1) the Final Jedi Counsular quests on on Corasant (when the Sith destroys the alter) and (2) on my ship if i look at my crew member from a particular angle.. For case (2) i just stopped doing that. for Case (1) i switched to my laptop to get by that road block. For the random cases of my computer reseted i just cursed BW.

HOWEVER, I have "solved" my problem, and I have not had a reset since I have done this. I have a Nvidia 295 video card. (which has two GPUs on it). I just went in to the Nvidia control panal and set up a custom configuration for SWTOR. I told it to use only ONE GPU, when running SWTOR. Ever since then NO RESETS. (so 3-4 random reset per day to NONE).

(and yes i have the lastest Nvidia loaded).

Sorry for not following the requested format. But i was posting a solution.

tobar
01.12.2012 , 10:23 AM | #19
So the issue I've been having is that after playing for 5 to 10 minutes the game will suddenly crash my graphics card. The screen will suddenly spaz out and a rainbow of random pixels will appear all over. Alt+tab will not work, nothing works. The only thing to do from there is to hold down my power button to reboot my computer.

1. Event log would just say you rebooted without cleanly shutting down.

2. a. chkdsk found no errors b. no errors c. sleep is turned off

Spoiler

At first I thought something I was doing was triggering it but after testing it over a few times it will just happen after a certain amount of time. No matter what I'm doing, fighting, chatting, standing idle, it doesn't matter.

lord_of_aces
01.12.2012 , 10:35 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by gio_mojo View Post
2--Again, I'm far from experienced with this kind of stuff. I can open the cmd window and run as admin. But the rest of that is gibberish to me. When I open it up i get a line of text that says:
c:\windows\system32 and the curser is after the 32
where exactly am i supposed to type in the command? is it right after the 32? for example
c:\windows\system32chkdsk<c>:/f/r;
Is that how it is supposed to look? And then do I just hit enter? Sorry, but I truly do not understand.

If anyone is unfamiliar or not comfortable with the DOS console, you can just as easily run the chkdsk from Windows itself:

a. Double-click on the "My Computer" icon, if it's present on your desktop; or open a Windows Explorer window by holding the Windows key and pressing E.

b. Right-click on your hard drive and click "Properties"

c. Click the tab near the top of the properties window, titled "Tools"

d. Under the "Error-checking" header, click "Check Now"

e. Select both check boxes in the new window, titled "Check Disk", and click Start. You'll receive a prompt that says Windows is currently using the drive, and will ask if you would like a disk check to be scheduled for the next time you reboot. Click yes.

f. Reboot, and wait. Depending on the size and speed of your drive, it could take a while.

I know it seems like a lot, but sometimes the written word makes things seem a lot more complicated than they really are.
Hold hodet kaldt, og hjertet varmt.