Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lsheistaon
01.11.2012 , 11:36 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone,

If your PC has consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR gameplay then we require the following information to investigate this further:

NOTE: Please keep in mind that accumulated dust can generate hardware overheating which leads to a safety Computer reset. If you are unaware of the procedure of computer hardware dusting, please ask someone knowledgeable to help you with this task.
  1. Information from the windows event log.
    1. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...n-Event-Viewer
    2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427
    3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...n-Event-Viewer

2. Any results from the diagnosing hardware failures steps below.

1. Run chkdsk via the Windows Command Prompt
    2. Please check now your system memory for possible errors
      1. Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool from http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
      2. Run the tool according to Microsoft’s directions
      3. If errors are detected, please remove/replace the affected memory.

3. Check your Power Options to avoid ‘sleep’ settings
      1. Open the Windows Start Menu.
      2. Select ‘Control Panel’
      3. Select 'Hardware and Sound'
      4. Select ‘Power Options’
      5. Set your plan to ‘High Performance’ or if you have a custom plan, change the ‘Put the computer to sleep:’ to ‘Never’.

3. Please include the following as well in your replies:
    1. Your DXDiag in spoiler tags.
    2. If you are aware of this information, GPU and CPU temperatures during gameplay and right before the game shutdown.
    3. If you have checked for a memory module failures, or any other hardware failures.
    4. Any information you can provide about your power supply – how old is it, what is its watt rating?
    5. Any potentially helpful information about triggers:
      1. Were you on character select, server select or in-game?
      2. If in-game, what were you doing at the time of the reset?
      3. Is it possible the screensaver turned on at the moment of the reset

Please only respond to this thread if you are experiencing this exact issue!
    We also ask that you keep the info that you submit as close to the template above as possible.
Thanks!

Lsheistaon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Vizuals
01.11.2012 , 12:22 PM | #2
What if you already turned in all that information over a week ago and have yet to get a response back?

JovethGonzalez
01.11.2012 , 12:46 PM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Vizuals View Post
What if you already turned in all that information over a week ago and have yet to get a response back?
Please go ahead and repost that info here. Please note that the information requested here may have extra steps or info required. The reason for this is to help us out in diagnosing these individual problems by breaking them down to individual threads (like this one).

Thanks for your patience!

Leggomy
01.11.2012 , 01:14 PM | #4
I had this issue and come to find out it was heat related. Some reason SWTOR runs a lot hotter than other games on the GPU (the only thing not liquid cooled in my system). Every reset or the pc just shutting off was related to the settings I had to keep the components safe in case of a fan failure or pump failure. Other games didnt overheat the GPU so I hadnt noticed the serious amount of dirt on my vid card fan.

So if you guys are having this problem you might want to look at a hardware monitor. Ever since I cleaned the fan and set it to run at max all the time I have not had this issue.

Vizuals
01.11.2012 , 02:05 PM | #5
I hard crash constantly during normal game play, space missions, and I sometimes crash during pvp.

My power supply is a Coolermaster 1050w gold and it is less than 2 months old.

My internal case temperature and all my components are being monitored by a Fluke 51 temp gauge.

Temps right before last crash today.

CPU 38 degrees
GPU 41 degrees
Internal Case Temp excluding air flow 31.3 degrees

System Specs

Intel i7 2600k CPU
Asus P8z68-v Pro motherboard
16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram 4x4gb Blue heat shield/spreader
Radeon 6990 Video Card "I have 2 but am only running 1 cuz I dont want to end up frying both"
Coolermaster 933 HAF Full size case
Seagate 1tb Hard Drive
Windows 7 home
Coolermaster 1050w gold PSU
Razer Naga Elite Mouse
Razer Anansi mechanical keyboard
ViewSonic 44'' LCD HD display
1 frost side 230mm Intake High Performance Fan
1 230mm intake fan on the side of the case
1 Standard 140mm exhaust fan in the back
1 230mm exhaust on the top of my case
Coolermaster CPU cooler with 2 140mm fans on it. One intake one exhaust from front to back.

Also all my cables are top of the line Monster Cables. I build computers for a living and my cable management is optimized for perfect air flow and cooling. This is an air cooled build.

Dxdiag results

Spoiler

I tried to put my Windows Stability report on here but it was way to long and would not let me post it.

I did a RAM check with 3 different programs and my ram is running perfectly.

Thanks for finally giving us a sticky. Hope this helps.

ikesw
01.11.2012 , 02:06 PM | #6
I wish I could provide this information for you (again), but I can't- This problem literally broke my brand new computer, and I have already RMA'd it and am waiting on the replacement to arrive.

But I definitely have emailed and posted dxdiags and such in various threads/emails.

bennyfox
01.11.2012 , 03:05 PM | #7
I got this on boxing day and played happily till the 27th when my hard drive broke. I recently got my pc back and when i start the game it either goes onto a loading screen and then quits to desktop or shows the first movie then quits to desktop. one time i got to the server select but there was no servers. And when i type my email and password instead of staying orang the lines go dark grey.

JovethGonzalez
01.11.2012 , 06:39 PM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi everyone,

in an effort to organize the info that we receive, we ask that you follow the template from the original post when responding, to make it easier for us to go through all of your data. Thank you!

Quote: Originally Posted by E6-W1 View Post
Hello everyone,

If your PC has consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR gameplay then we require the following information to investigate this further:
  1. Information from the windows event log.
    1. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...n-Event-Viewer
    2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427
    3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...n-Event-Viewer

2. Any results from the diagnosing hardware failures steps below.

1. Run chkdsk via the Windows Command Prompt
      1. Open the Windows Start Menu
      2. Type ‘cmd’ in the search bar, choose the program showing up and right click and choose 'Run as administrator'
      3. Type in the upcoming command prompt CHKDSK <drive>: /f /r; where drive is your drive letter – normally C: for the system disk.
      4. You need to do a restart to have the check and repair function working.

2. Please check now your system memory for possible errors
      1. Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool from http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
      2. Run the tool according to Microsoft’s directions
      3. If errors are detected, please remove/replace the affected memory.

3. Check your Power Options to avoid ‘sleep’ settings
      1. Open the Windows Start Menu.
      2. Select ‘Control Panel’
      3. Select 'Hardware and Sound'
      4. Select ‘Power Options’
      5. Set your plan to ‘High Performance’ or if you have a custom plan, change the ‘Put the computer to sleep:’ to ‘Never’.

3. Please include the following as well in your replies:
    1. Your DXDiag in spoiler tags.
    2. If you are aware of this information, GPU and CPU temperatures during gameplay and right before the game shutdown.
    3. If you have checked for a memory module failures, or any other hardware failures.
    4. Any information you can provide about your power supply – how old is it, what is its watt rating?
    5. Any potentially helpful information about triggers:
      1. Were you on character select, server select or in-game?
      2. If in-game, what were you doing at the time of the reset?
      3. Is it possible the screensaver turned on at the moment of the reset

Please only respond to this thread if you are experiencing this exact issue!
    We also ask that you keep the info that you submit as close to the template above as possible.
Thanks!

gio_mojo
01.11.2012 , 07:35 PM | #9
Hey, thanks for the response, I know personally it makes me feel a lot better just to be having some regular communication on these issues. That is assuming we continue to get updates on a frequent basis.

Now, I am not the most technically talented individual. A few questions regarding the info you are gathering.

1--What exactly do you want from the event viewer? The links tell me how to access that info, but I am not sure what you want. Do I run some sort of report and post it right in the forums? Also, if we are supposed to just post it in the forums, what happens if the log or whatever is too big? Can we split it into two replies?

2--Again, I'm far from experienced with this kind of stuff. I can open the cmd window and run as admin. But the rest of that is gibberish to me. When I open it up i get a line of text that says:
c:\windows\system32 and the curser is after the 32
where exactly am i supposed to type in the command? is it right after the 32? for example
c:\windows\system32chkdsk<c>:/f/r;
Is that how it is supposed to look? And then do I just hit enter? Sorry, but I truly do not understand.

3--What is a memory module failure and how do I check for it?

Please answer and explain in idiot terms so people like me, and those unwilling to admit they don't know can understand how to help you help us! Thanks!

ikesw
01.11.2012 , 08:45 PM | #10
Something I'd like to clarify before my response is that the computer I had this issue with, a computer that was brand new and was better then 90% of the computers other people are playing this game with, died from this issue.

What I mean is that the hard crashes, after starting in swtor, started happening EVERYWHERE. After a week of it, they started everywhere. Other games, like SC2 or WoW, would crash in the exact same manner. Moreover, just browsing the internet would result in identical crashes.

As you can imagine, this is Not Good.

Ok.

I ran Chkdsk on the computer that had this issue. It had 60 something problems that it resolved on my first chkdsk that I did. I don't know what they are/nor can I get the log if such exists because the computer is no longer in my possession.

I DO know that I later, as the problem persisted, ran ANOTHER chkdsk, with ZERO problems showing up to be resolved.

I never did a memory test, so I don't know if the frequent crashes from swtor corrupted my memory or not. Seeing as they were brand new, and there were zero issues with them for SC2, WoW, or LoL.

I had it originally set to "put to sleep after four hours." Needless to say that it was not four hours between crashes. However, I did later switch it to "Never", and the problem still persisted.

I have emailed you my dxdiag, as well as posted it in older threads. As I can't search my previous posts for some reason, I can't pull it up for you now (and, you know, the computer this bug occurred on is dead.)

The highest my core or gpu temperatures got (according to speedfan) was the mid 60s, even up right before a crash. GPU was usually lower.

Yes, I had a hardware failure from all of this. After so many crashes, I took my computer to a repair shop to see if they could fix it. The first thing the guy did was run a Furmark test on my video card. It was a Nvidia Geforce gtx 560 TI. The temperature went up to 80 degrees, and the video card literally exploded and died. By exploded, I mean it blew off two of the fan blades, and completely stopped working.

Now, you'd think that would be the end of it, right? Nope, even without a video card in the computer, the hard crashes CONTINUED to occur while browsing the internet. So while the video card had been destroyed by the crashing, it was not the SOURCE of the crashing.

Power supply was brand new and 800 watts, iirc.

And in game it could happen at any time. There were no seeming triggers for me. I could be standing there crafting, I could be questing, I could be alt tabbed reading some webcomic. No rhyme or reason to the crashes for me.

There is zero possibility the screen saver turned on, unless there was some horrible glitch in the game that caused the screen saver to turn on at the exact moment it also shut my computer off, in which case I don't really see how it would matter anyway.