Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

01.21.2012 , 05:32 PM | #331

I've been crashing consistently several times per day since the beginning of January. Sometimes its a blue screen, although very rarely. Other times it's a crash to desktop where one moment im playing and another moment im looking at the desktop. Other times I get a windows "program has experienced a problem" error when SWTOR locks up. This was not happening at all during my pre-load play time, or for the month of December. This sucks, the problem is especially bad on Tython, usually I crash once an hour on tython it has crashed 6 times and ive made it to level 4.

This game is pretty fun, I really think its got potential, but so is WoW and their customer service at least corresponds with us.

01.21.2012 , 05:57 PM | #332
1) Random crashes after patch 1.1 every 5-15 minutes

3) There are no triggers....purely random event. It might be inside the game or during loading of new location.
4) Confirmed. Game crashes to the desktop, no error messages

01.21.2012 , 06:41 PM | #333
This is such crap! I mean, come on. This happens to me every 5-7 mins like clockwork. Then, out of nowhere, I can play for 30 mins but if I try to do PVP, ctd WHY?

01.21.2012 , 07:26 PM | #334
Happens once or twice a day. It's inconsistant on how it happens. Sometime I will be moving in Warzones or out questing but im always moving when it occurs.

01.21.2012 , 09:01 PM | #335
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? At times, every 15 minutes, if not less. There ARE times I can play for hours, but then a long run of crashes. Sometimes even a BSOD.

Your DXDiag in Spoiler tags. DXDIAGS doesn't give any information. All my software is current, and I get nothing when it does crash.

Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. Can't help there, it happens at any time, no matter what I'm doing.

Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select. If it's NOT a crash to desktop, then it's a BSOD.

All this being said, I'm pretty disappointed with the customer service so far. I've done tickets on this in game with no help whatsoever. But, this IS a game, and it IS a company that is like all the others. Seems to put profit above the customers.

01.21.2012 , 10:10 PM | #336
1. Frequency of Crashes - Consistently 10-20 minutes after launching the game. Launching the game a second time usually results in a blue screen after another 10-20 minutes.

2. DxDiag:

3. Crash Triggers - Only started happening after patch which was a couple days before 1.1. The game crashes every single time I play.

4. Absolutely a hard crash to desktop. Second crash is almost always a blue screen or critical system error.

01.21.2012 , 10:17 PM | #337
Note: This has only begun happening since patch 1.1, never crashed before, even in beta.
  1. Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? At Least 2-3 times per day, or more now
  2. Definitely a crash to desktop, whole game quits

"Expect people to be negative, especially if you're carving your own path."

01.21.2012 , 11:15 PM | #338

I hope the developers see this (also sent an in-game ticket), as I think this could be an important clue concerning RAM overload and crashing.

FIX : the following changes have reduced the total RAM used by about 1 GB allowing me to play, not to mention I use to have a litteral memory leak of 1.3 GB after patch 1.1.0a.

Result : I was able to play on Alderaan for over 30 minutes without any lag and the game even closed itself rather quickly. My Page File was around 2.4 and cleared itself without any issues after closing the game.
a) changed game setting to HIGH textures (had formally reduced it to low to try and fix the RAM overloading).

b) changed NVIDIA setting "Texture - Quality" to High performance.

c) changed NVIDIA setting "Antialiasing - Transparency" to Off (instead of Multisampling)
- Mind you, antialiasing is set to off in the game, so this is most probably irrelevant.

The game was unplayable before.

Logically, it was the High quality NVIDIA setting that caused the excessive load, but it got much worse with the low texture setting in game. Others have said the game oddly runs better with high texture set in game. My guess is there seems to be an problem when Low Texture is selected in the preferences.

Thank you

Help BioWare, you are my only hope... (or almost).

It use to take 4 to 6 hours for my Page File (Virtual Memory) to reach 2.8 GB and cause mild lag and require to relog. Now (since patch 1.1.0a), at 6 am on Alderaan with only 10 players on line, my Page File reached 3.8 GB in... barely 5 minutes on.

I fear I'll be forced to stop playing, as it's completely unplayable at the moment, except in Warzones and some small instances.

The following may contain hints or clues for the developers ...

:: BEFORE : Beforehand (since launch), the virtual memory would go up to approx. 2.4 or so GB. I could play many hours without having a bit of lag telling me to reload. Though I had only 2 GB of physical memory, the game worked well but took a very very long time to close as Windows XP was slowly flushing the Page File.

:: RECENT : I upgraded my physical ram (but my Win XP 32 Bits set-up limits this to a grand total of 2.72 GB of physical RAM) yet the game client was reacting faster and closing much much faster, so all was pretty good. I could play for 4 to 5 hours and it did not crash or freeze as such.

:: NOW : Since the last patch (1.1.0a), every 10 minutes on Alderaan or after 1 hour of gameplay at best, my entire ram becomes saturated and the game stutters and I can barely log-off and exit, but I'm patient (takes about 15 minutes).

Total RAM used by SWTOR after 5 to 50 minutes since patch 1.1.0a :
2.72 GB physical + 3.8 GB usage of virtual memory. This RAM overload makes the game stutter or freeze from lack of memory, attempts to close itself/crashes, etc.

Mostly, what is flabbergasting and frustrating, is I have played PVP/FPS intensive games, with modern graphics and sometimes with 50+ players in other PVP MMOs, on this same computer. I could never have imagined SWTOR would ever overload my RAM so quickly even after I upgraded it just for this game. I feel this is downright ABNORMAL. I see no rational reason why SWTOR, with no players around me at 5-6 AM, would use tons more RAM than all other games. I almost never crash in other games though I had barely 2 GB of real RAM.

I imagine that those with over 5+ GB of real RAM might not notice this much but...

* Reduced the textures to LOW setting, hoping that would drastically reduce the RAM used.

Result : To no avail. After barely 30 min on Alderaan, my Page File went up rapidly to 3.45 GB. It was therefore unplayable.

I retried : rebooted my entire computer and the game. After only 20 min on Alderaan, while staying in the same region (Juran Mountains), the game almost froze. I could barely open the exit menu (Esc). It took about 9 minutes for the game to close itself.

For some reason, on my next attempt, I had a memory leak : after closing the game normally nonetheless, even 5 minutes after that long exiting process was done, about 1.8 GB were still stuck in the Page File (yet is normally use to go back down to 380 Mb).

* Boosted my virtual memory to 9 GB min/max :

Result : FAIL ! I was barely able to log off after 12 minutes and an additional 8 minutes to quit thereafter! My system can't deal with more than 3.7 Gb of Page File, since I have 2.72 physical RAM.

* Also fiddled around with various Win XP Boot ini options : No improvements.

* new : Disabled sound setting in the lobby (before logging onto the server) to see if it's the sounds/music that causes the memory overloads and leaks:

Result : most impressive failure ! With both sound disabled and low textures, I got RAM overloading in about 6 minutes at most (Alderaan, Juran Mountains, Thul camp). My Page File jumped above 3 GB, so the game froze and ended-up kicking me off the server. Even now, 15 minutes after the 9-10 minutes exit process, the Page File has 1.3 GB stuck in it.

So it most probably is not related to sound (it was utterly disabled in game settings in the lobby, before I loaded onto the server).

DXdiag in spoiler :

01.21.2012 , 11:36 PM | #339
I've had consistent crashes since I last posted in this thread. Tonight I've crashed twice in a 2.5 hour period. I'm so sorry I added the security key. It's a pain to enter that number so many times in one night.

I think I'm through with this game until this problem gets fixed.

01.22.2012 , 12:19 AM | #340
My game keeps crashing and i reinstalled the game 3 times