Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tirvaak
01.11.2012 , 11:02 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi guys,

For those of you that have encountered consistent crashing to desktop during your game play, please reply to this thread with the following information:
  1. Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
  2. Your DXDiag in Spoiler tags
  3. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
  4. Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.

In an effort to keep your data organized and easy to read, please respond to the questions above in the same format!
Thanks.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

Star_Dragon
01.11.2012 , 12:16 PM | #2
Hi
I crash to desktop between every 30 minutes and an hour (roughly) and this doesn't appear to be triggered by anything in particular as it has happened in combat, while traveling on my speeder, during conversations etc.

DX Diag below:

Spoiler

bullets_ie
01.11.2012 , 12:25 PM | #3
Hi,

I've had almost no issues up until the 10th Jan. I used
to be able to play for more than 12 hours at a time with only getting the odd crash.

Since the 10th Jan, I am getting crash to desktop about every 10-15 Mins
I might be talking to an NPC or doing nothing but reading my quest log, or
I might be mid-fight. I am currently on Planet VOSS area. L45.

Sound on my character's voice appeared to change also since Jan 10th.
Volume is lower on my game character but all other voice's in cut scenes /conversations are fine.

Game will sometimes freeze, go black screen then crash to desktop.
Sometimes I get a message saying SWTOR has stopped working and will be closed.
Other times I get no message. I've had a few hard-restarts since then too.
my GPU is only at 50C when I am playing and temp goes upto about 60C when
in combat and my fan speed is not increasing to max or anything.

DxDiag here:
Spoiler

Costello
01.11.2012 , 12:30 PM | #4
Crash every few hours but once crashed once can crash 2 to 6 times once I get back in. Sometimes if I restart my computer it wont crash again but other times I do.

Likewise couldn't say for certain but it doesn't appear to happen on the starting planets and more common later in the game and often happens after a dialogue scene and given the number of crashes only a few have been in a fight. But have crashed to desk top in combat as well.

At a guess I would say its my GPU over heating as there is no error message from the game and just a straight crash to desktop.

Spoiler

Asante
01.11.2012 , 12:41 PM | #5
1.: 2-6 crashes over a period of 10-15 hours of gameplay

2.:
Spoiler

3.: I usually crash when trying to initiate conversations. I noticed "sound oddities" that appear and intensify shortly before. Meaning, there's sounds that either don't play when supposed to, or do play when not. (Like, companions comments appearing on chat, but without them saying something, speeders going mute, combat sound effects staying long after the fight is actually over.) The more I get of these, the closer one of those "conversation initiation crashes" is. Most of the time the game stutters (a short freeze, followed by a short period of really laggy) and freezes upon initiation followed by crash to desktop, sometimes it manages to stay up for a few lines before blacking out and crashing to desktop during the conversation.
Sometimes, when the game has collected enough "trash" and didn't crash on a conversation, I get kicked randomly (speederbike rides, walking around, fighting, etc.). But it usually (I'd say at least 90% of the time) "gives up" in connection to conversations, either before or after (reward window).

There's a few more things I noticed recently but I'm not sure if they've got to do something with those crashes or not. Like a fourth crew skill for example. (which is gone again after a crash/restart). Some of these things don't happen all the time before a crash, but there's ALWAYS something wrong. (EDIT: meaning things that aren't "wrong" by default... things that happen/appear/change during gameplay and are gone again after a crash/restart...)
The thing with frequent crashing is: almost everything COULD be related... or just a coincidence... *shrugs*
Overall I get the feeling that... uhm... the more of those little buggy ("trash") things have "gathered up", the more the game tries to "cure" itself with saying "goodbye" and forcing me to start up anew.

4.: Yes, desktop crashes . Game gone, Snow-white plains of Skyrim with a dragon above wallpaper and getting out the security key thingy again...

jshirley
01.11.2012 , 12:41 PM | #6
I am having this same issue, game is playing perfectly fine and then just crashes to desktop.

1. The frequency is hard to say because it could be less than 5 minutes it could be up to 3 hours, I don't think I have been able to play for over 3 hours at one time without a crash. I have been having this problem since beta, and then after uninstalling every swtor beta file for release, I have been having this problem since release.

2. DXDIAG

Spoiler

3. It happens the most in warzones. I have been able to actually complete probably less than half of the warzones I have entered. It also happens randomly anywhere though, my problem is not limited to only warzones. I have crashed on every planet I have been on.

4. It is a crash to desktop, I am not disconnecting.

Edited to put in the format you requested.

Jamisz
01.11.2012 , 12:42 PM | #7
Hello,

Im crashing to desktop randomly anywhere after 5 minutes of playing to 2 hours of playing. This can happen in space, in open world play, in pvp totally random. This has been going on since december beta. About 10% of my crashes result in my PC locking up completely. Most are just CTD

(also please note that I do play other high end games on max graphics Eyefinity setup)

- updated all of my sound, video, and motherboard drivers. (tried even uninstalling and reinstalling them)
- have tried older & current video drivers and lastest Beta version.
- tried at lowest possible graphics settings. (shadow, vsync off)
- tried at lowest possible resolution ( and diff resolutions)
- updated Java, .Net, Visual C++ 2005 2008 2010 (also uninstalled and reinstalled these, tried java 32 instead of java 64)
- Reinstalled SWTOR on my C: drive
- Ran virus scan, spybot, malwarebytes all clean
- Windows fully udpated
- Set powermanagement to high performance
- Turned off all unecessary programs running in the background with gamebooster
- Disabled firewall and antivirus
- I am monitoring all PC temps during gameplay and after crashes and everything is normal
- have tried running game in win xp mode and as administrator
- Customer service ticket has been open for 2 weeks

Im sure Ive tried different fixes than this, will post them as I remember them.

DXdiag
Spoiler

Windows Crash logs
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Vizuals
01.11.2012 , 12:53 PM | #8
I hard crash constantly during normal game play, space missions, and I sometimes crash during pvp.

My power supply is a Coolermaster 1050w gold and it is less than 2 months old.

My internal case temperature and all my components are being monitored by a Fluke 51 temp gauge.

Temps right before last crash today.

CPU 38 degrees
GPU 41 degrees
Internal Case Temp excluding air flow 31.3 degrees

System Specs

Intel i7 2600k CPU
Asus P8z68-v Pro motherboard
16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram 4x4gb Blue heat shield/spreader
Radeon 6990 Video Card "I have 2 but am only running 1 cuz I dont want to end up frying both"
Coolermaster 933 HAF Full size case
Seagate 1tb Hard Drive
Windows 7 home
Coolermaster 1050w gold PSU
Razer Naga Elite Mouse
Razer Anansi mechanical keyboard
ViewSonic 44'' LCD HD display
1 frost side 230mm Intake High Performance Fan
1 230mm intake fan on the side of the case
1 Standard 140mm exhaust fan in the back
1 230mm exhaust on the top of my case
Coolermaster CPU cooler with 2 140mm fans on it. One intake one exhaust from front to back.

Also all my cables are top of the line Monster Cables. I build computers for a living and my cable management is optimized for perfect air flow and cooling. This is an air cooled build.

Dxdiag results

Spoiler

I tried to put my Windows Stability report on here but it was way to long and would not let me post it.

Thanks for finally giving us a sticky. Hope this helps.

Vizuals
01.11.2012 , 01:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
Crash every few hours but once crashed once can crash 2 to 6 times once I get back in. Sometimes if I restart my computer it wont crash again but other times I do.

Likewise couldn't say for certain but it doesn't appear to happen on the starting planets and more common later in the game and often happens after a dialogue scene and given the number of crashes only a few have been in a fight. But have crashed to desk top in combat as well.

At a guess I would say its my GPU over heating as there is no error message from the game and just a straight crash to desktop.

Spoiler
I doubt its your GPU overheating. If you have any questions about the temp of your device there are a lot of very good software programs that you can get.

Do you have any reasons for thinking your GPU is getting too hot?

If not make sure you have all of the following.

1. Make sure your case has good air flow.
2. Make sure your case covers are ON. Some people thing having them off will cool the internal parts in your case down and this simply is not so. Cases are designed for air flow within them to keep parts cool.
3. Make sure your case is clean inside and out.
4. Make sure if your case has a bottom mounted PSU that it is not sitting on carpet to where it can not get air flow in the bottom vents.

These are just a few things to keep in mind. But like I said I doubt its an overheating issue. The game is not that taxing on video cards, other than the hard crash that can be damaging.

Kiyanta
01.11.2012 , 01:27 PM | #10
I wouldn't say crashes, but my graphics card turns off and my monitor can not recognize any input, at first it happens every few hours, then after a while it happens every few minutes, once this happens once, it will happen out of game as well, I fixed it by re installing my drivers but can not go on SWTOR in fear of this happening again.

(Couldn't put Dxdiag because it didn't let my copy it)