Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is everyone raging at controlled access?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Why is everyone raging at controlled access?

mikevika
12.14.2011 , 08:35 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Muskwacis View Post
Even if it does turn out to be based on a random system and not based on when you pre-ordered your copy, does that make you better then the other person that gave bioware the money? Yeah maybe it was hard for some people to coop with and sitting in front of their computers. I basically spent my day trying to access my account since I'm currently away from home, and it didn't recognize the IP i was on. That was the biggest thorn in my side because I was already under the impression that people would be getting in based on when they pre ordered and redeemed their code.

No one promised the players that they would get instant access. In either case servers are being populated with a nice stream of players, I kinda like the random element because it means that for people like me who just bought the game around the 1st we may be getting in today. I have a digital deluxe version but I'm not expecting to get in, and people who buy the CE seem to have the biggest stick up their arse that they don't have instant access day 1.
The problem is time is money so to speak, Bioware has no right to waste my time or any one elses just because they will not hand out a schedule and say hey look this is the time you can access the system like they did in the beta. There are people who actualy work and have thought about taking a day off to play yet can't just because they have to speend a day by the computer looking for an email. If you don't understand the problem with that then you probably either do not work or are like under 20 and out of school for the holidays. Also there are other companies who have had larger pre launch crowds who have opened the doors at once to most oftheir customers with fewer problems then i have read about the star wars prelaunch. Trion's rift is one of those where they had a much larger server base that was completely filled all the way across and with the exception of long que lines whhich got fixed real quick the pre launch was realy wonderful

Lazenca
12.14.2011 , 08:36 AM | #12
I think, the reason for the outrage is because when this was first announced it said "pre-order now and get in the game earlier!" and left out "but it will be staggered and you may not even get in if you wait too long." Even though it is a logical train of thought, it wasn't said.

As for me, I'm upset because my girlfriend and I both pre-ordered the CE the morning pre-ordering was available, and we went right back to put the codes on our accounts. I put mine in, got the success screen, then put her code in, got the success screen. Then this past week I went to download the game client and it asked me to put the code in. And when I emailed BioWare to get everything sorted out, they just flat out did not understand what I was saying. So I called them, and they still just flat out refused to understand what I was saying. They kept telling me that 3rd party stores sometimes forget to print out a code and I need to go back to the store to get one. I had a code. I inputted the code in June (or whenever it started). So now, my girlfriend's in the early access, and I'm not. So, personally, I'm a bit upset that I'm not in the early access, but I'm more worried that their customer support is so embarrassingly awful.
There is no emotion, there is peace
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge
There is no passion, there is serenity
There is no death, there is The Force

Alondo
12.14.2011 , 08:45 AM | #13
Hey its a business and 5 dollars more per person adds up to a lot. Anyone who did do the preorder purchased this under false pretense. They did not advertise the launch would be in segments but as long as they give you at least one day access they are giving you early access and if you don't then they are liable. I will be one of those players who ordered and will not get a code today or tomorrow or the next day which just happens to be my days off and then the early access is worthless to me. These guys are starting to sound more and more like a bunch of Ex Sony Online Entertainment employees in which constantly enjoyed screwing over everyone. And i hope customer service is reading this as i know the word Class Action if they FAIL

Yatzol
12.14.2011 , 09:07 AM | #14
The rage came from not the fact that its staggered access but that some people are getting 3,4,5 days on others. That defeats the purpose of paying for early access. I have played many mmos at launch. A day or two I could understand and I believe it would take soemthing as small as giving every one that lost the benefits of early access alittle we're sorry it took so long pet or hat or afew credits at toon creation. that would make the customer feel appriciated and for the most part it has proven that these things go along way only God knows why lol. Yet they tell every one to go scratch an deal with it we got yer cash already.

It's not hard to see what is lost by missing afew days of early start

LvLs not competitive
AH is going to be locked down
Hours of extra pvp server lvling time due to tards that have a 10-20 lvl jump on you
miss lvling with guildies and friends

Now i have seen people say good players will recover that time ya BUT WE DIDN'T PAY TO RECOVER TIME we paid to have extra time.

I have also seen trolls say if they are your friends they will wait for you blah blah blah. if you think thats a good argument then you're 5 lol. No they should not wait why? THEY PAID FOR THE EARLY TIME TOO. good friends don't ecpect them to wait and they shouldn not have to cause we should all be in as soon as possible. Cutting out at 2pm was lame on Biowares part I mean for their biggest release EVER and having made what they did in pre-orders they should have shifts working 24/7 till every one is in. The garbage about server stability released by them is just slight of hand sure that makes sense but it keeps you from seeing the obvious work arounds that could have been done to maintain server stability and keep the costumers happy. Using rifts as one ofthe latest examples there were next to no problems on launch day and servers were constantly added for almost a week at all times of the day.

Muskwacis
12.14.2011 , 09:30 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by mikevika View Post
The problem is time is money so to speak, Bioware has no right to waste my time or any one elses just because they will not hand out a schedule and say hey look this is the time you can access the system like they did in the beta. There are people who actualy work and have thought about taking a day off to play yet can't just because they have to speend a day by the computer looking for an email. If you don't understand the problem with that then you probably either do not work or are like under 20 and out of school for the holidays. Also there are other companies who have had larger pre launch crowds who have opened the doors at once to most oftheir customers with fewer problems then i have read about the star wars prelaunch. Trion's rift is one of those where they had a much larger server base that was completely filled all the way across and with the exception of long que lines whhich got fixed real quick the pre launch was realy wonderful
I'm a college student majoring in 3D animation and Modeling friend, you can practically access your email anywhere you go these days. Only those who are highly addictive to video games, and have no concept of patience and what it means would call in work because they hear of early access being two days early. I don't get out of classes till the 20th as well, so pre order is nice, all I am using it for is to get my characters set up. I already had a friend who got in yesterday secure me some names on the server we were going to play on. Again, what is up with people wasting a day STAYING by their computer when waves were given a time schedule?

Also as for opening the doors, as an example, does anyone here remember the last expansion of WoW that crashed all the servers because a lot of players came back to try it out and a lot of servers went down? Everything was a mess because players wanted to see the new azeroth. As for rift, look at where that game is now. It's not a year old and all ready 20 dollars. Can you possibly give me some examples of GOOD MMO's that had no server issues come early access with a huge fan base, and ave stood the test of times and are making money? A lot of MMOs are switching over to a free to play system where you pay 5-10 dollars for a new major patch. I'm looking over at WoW... yeah nice fan base... nice nice... losing a lot though, and compare that fan base to a Star Wars Fan base who has players likely +50 rather then just +12 like WoW?
The Flames of War have consumed so much, and so many...

Muskwacis
12.14.2011 , 09:38 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazenca View Post
I think, the reason for the outrage is because when this was first announced it said "pre-order now and get in the game earlier!" and left out "but it will be staggered and you may not even get in if you wait too long." Even though it is a logical train of thought, it wasn't said.

As for me, I'm upset because my girlfriend and I both pre-ordered the CE the morning pre-ordering was available, and we went right back to put the codes on our accounts. I put mine in, got the success screen, then put her code in, got the success screen. Then this past week I went to download the game client and it asked me to put the code in. And when I emailed BioWare to get everything sorted out, they just flat out did not understand what I was saying. So I called them, and they still just flat out refused to understand what I was saying. They kept telling me that 3rd party stores sometimes forget to print out a code and I need to go back to the store to get one. I had a code. I inputted the code in June (or whenever it started). So now, my girlfriend's in the early access, and I'm not. So, personally, I'm a bit upset that I'm not in the early access, but I'm more worried that their customer support is so embarrassingly awful.
If you haven't dealt with pre ordering online before or purchasing much online before you would know that to be on the safe side you call the distributor to make sure everything is in order. Sounds like your beef is with the store you bought it from, and not bioware's fault.

Muskwacis
12.14.2011 , 09:45 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Yatzol View Post
The rage came from not the fact that its staggered access but that some people are getting 3,4,5 days on others. That defeats the purpose of paying for early access. I have played many mmos at launch. A day or two I could understand and I believe it would take soemthing as small as giving every one that lost the benefits of early access alittle we're sorry it took so long pet or hat or afew credits at toon creation. that would make the customer feel appriciated and for the most part it has proven that these things go along way only God knows why lol. Yet they tell every one to go scratch an deal with it we got yer cash already.

It's not hard to see what is lost by missing afew days of early start

LvLs not competitive
AH is going to be locked down
Hours of extra pvp server lvling time due to tards that have a 10-20 lvl jump on you
miss lvling with guildies and friends

Now i have seen people say good players will recover that time ya BUT WE DIDN'T PAY TO RECOVER TIME we paid to have extra time.

I have also seen trolls say if they are your friends they will wait for you blah blah blah. if you think thats a good argument then you're 5 lol. No they should not wait why? THEY PAID FOR THE EARLY TIME TOO. good friends don't ecpect them to wait and they shouldn not have to cause we should all be in as soon as possible. Cutting out at 2pm was lame on Biowares part I mean for their biggest release EVER and having made what they did in pre-orders they should have shifts working 24/7 till every one is in. The garbage about server stability released by them is just slight of hand sure that makes sense but it keeps you from seeing the obvious work arounds that could have been done to maintain server stability and keep the costumers happy. Using rifts as one ofthe latest examples there were next to no problems on launch day and servers were constantly added for almost a week at all times of the day.
I don't care if my friend levels personally, Best buy buggered up his order and refunded his collectors edition and sold it to someone else, I can understand what he went through. He got another collectors edition but he's not blaming Bioware because Best Buy dropped the ball. He has to wait another seven days after launch to get his hands on the collectors edition and he's not to torn up about this since he's still has his early access key.

Also, I didn't realize that any where from the 13th to the 19th isn't early access. People seem to forget about the color altering blaster laser/light saber gem they got for pre ordering, a in game item that you can get the moment you put in your redemption code. You can argue all you want but it's not like you just paid 5 dollars for early game time alone.

Jacen_Starsolo
12.14.2011 , 09:45 AM | #18
If they gave a GUESSTIMATE even and put the disclaimer it can change due to technical issues, then a lot of the flames would be put out. There will still be some flamers but a majority of them will be over.

I see two types of people upset. Ones upset because they can't even get a guesstimate which is the majority then the minority is just plain you can ask them, "U Mad Bro?" types.

Maryld
12.14.2011 , 09:46 AM | #19
I'm irritated about it for 3 reasons.
1: When I saw something about early access starting on Tuesday morning, I got super excited and switched my days off at work with someone. I took Friday and Saturday off originally thinking that was going to be the first days of early access. I saw didn't see anything about them doing it in waves.
2: Now I'm not going to get an opportunity to play and all my friends getting SWtoR have already gotten their access, are going to be way ahead of me and I'm not going to get to play with them.
3: I've been looking forward to this game for over a year, and I pre-odered in August. I'm hearing people that pre-ordered yesterday have already gotten in.

MrCrisp
12.14.2011 , 09:46 AM | #20
If they did just open the gates then the same ppl crying about not getting in would be crying about too many ppl getting in and their quest hubs over run and cant lvl or what ever.
Just keep in mind that the majority of the whiners will be even whinier next week when they complain about grandma giving them a purple bike for christmas instead of a red one.
BW is doing a good job imo, I'd rather wait a few days and enter a stable game than one that keeps crashing from over populations and such.
ACK...I pre ordered and still don't have my super awesome mohawk grenade yet!!!