Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is everyone raging at controlled access?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Why is everyone raging at controlled access?

Muskwacis
12.14.2011 , 08:06 AM | #1
Anyone who's played more then just WoW as an MMO knows that if you just let EVERYONE play right off the bat there will be servers constantly crashing, and people whining about not being able to play due to the uncertainty of servers crashing, or high que lines, or heaven forbid the odd disconnect.

I think it's smart simply because, they want to ensure that their servers can handle it (yes one more check is good, because there was only a handful of people that got invited into the beta, and now this game is about to hit in six days, out of the entire amount of people who are waiting patiently for the 15th and 20th to play.

The second part is that I'm happy to see controlled access is that the chances of low populated to medium populated servers won't be as BAD as in other games where it's not even worth having low populated servers if they're just burning a hole in the companies wallet, and force them to close one server, and merge those players onto another server to get a medium populated server, or a high populated server. This has happened to dozens of good MMO games that just make way to many servers that are just costing them money, and I suspect WoW will be going down that path this coming 2012 since it's been rumored they lost a good 7 million players so far out of their player base.

Can anyone rebuke this kind of knowledge with statements other then self entitled "Well I bought this game in the last three months, I should be in day one." or, "Is my money not as good as other peoples?" OR, "This game is not fixed! The hell bioware, the hell! Fix this!" Probably a good chunk of those players that are experiencing game issues never bothered to look at the system requirements, or their computers are seriously in need of repair/tune ups.

When I was in BETA the only graphic issue I noticed was that cute orange pixel that was just below my health bar.... oh orange pixel.. I will miss your companionship.
The Flames of War have consumed so much, and so many...

spacecowboyr
12.14.2011 , 08:09 AM | #2
When all the servers are listed as full, I'll stop complaining.

UlfgarMag
12.14.2011 , 08:11 AM | #3
Nope,

I also think it's brilliant and far better than flinging open the gates.

Looking forward to playing , anticipation is one of the best parts really!

VendettaRM
12.14.2011 , 08:15 AM | #4
It's going to be the most fantastic moments when you get that invite. You're going to feel 12 and scream a little bit on the inside. Kind of how I felt when I got the Diablo III beta. :P

Manko
12.14.2011 , 08:16 AM | #5
Some are upset, including me, because communication on how the rollout would work was nonexistent. The result is thousands of players sitting in front of computers wating to get in with a lot of time on their hands. Of course the forums are going to explode, what else is there to do except post venomous bile on forums while you wait for an e-mail? The lack of communication on how the rollout would work made things 20 times worse than they needed to be. Whoever is in the community manager spot may be looking for employment elsewhere.

Celoril
12.14.2011 , 08:19 AM | #6
i think the staggered access is a good idea...what i think is a terrible idea is the lack of transparency in how the invites are going out and approx when people will be getting in,
half the crud being stirred up on the forums at the moment are from claims that despite biowares
original comments it is not being based on when you redeemed your code but some random system
ie we have people claiming to have redeemed in december and already playing (personally i dont belive it)
we also have people claiming to have redeemed day 1 and still not in ( i view this as possible due to system gliches)
point is if bioware had more of a presence in the forums at the moment to anwser questions
(i dont think we should have to go to twitter to get a responce) alot of issues might be resolved

that said the only thing bioware ever promised was early access they have never actually promised any set days other then "early" so as long as we are all on by the 19th no one can truely cry foul.
Death comes for us all

gbrain
12.14.2011 , 08:19 AM | #7
A controlled method is a nice way of stopping areas being flooded and over run with complainers.

No matter what game you play there are the ppl who just can't not wine about something, I bought the game (collectors) and its says the 20th, early access is a bonus and not a given right but I do like reading these ppl complaining over the simplest of things.

I bet these are also the players who get to the highest level and then complain there is not end content or they are bored in the quickest time or are glory hunters and want to be the server 1st.

Roll of the 20th

DarthWalt
12.14.2011 , 08:26 AM | #8
Its easy to just say of people are cring cause they arent playing but that really has very little to do with the issue as to why atleast myself and I am sure many other that know the truth are pissed.

BW lied to boost sales pre order under the ruse of EGA based on first come first served. Yesterday I know personaly 2 people that pre ordered this game on the weekend of 11/11/11 and have been playing as of yesterday after noon. Were as people that have paid and redeemed 5 months ago are left out.

Lieing to your customer base to boost pre order sales is about the biggest scumbag move ever. So with all due respect I think we all have a right to be pissed off.

And again I dont care what you think or say about me. I have tried to expose this truth and been banned deleted and warned so I am not going to waste my time posting another link to another vidoe showing proof of my 2 friends that ordered this game 11/11/11 and were invited and playing yesterday. I also dont think they should have to suffer for BWs mistake. So no I wont name them.

When all is said and done and everyoneis playing BW will let the cover up go and we will all see that what people have been saying was true but then it wont matter so its all going to be big giant joke.

Muskwacis
12.14.2011 , 08:27 AM | #9
Even if it does turn out to be based on a random system and not based on when you pre-ordered your copy, does that make you better then the other person that gave bioware the money? Yeah maybe it was hard for some people to cope with and sitting in front of their computers. I basically spent my day trying to access my account since I'm currently away from home, and it didn't recognize the IP i was on. That was the biggest thorn in my side because I was already under the impression that people would be getting in based on when they pre ordered and redeemed their code.

No one promised the players that they would get instant access. In either case servers are being populated with a nice stream of players, I kinda like the random element because it means that for people like me who just bought the game around the 1st we may be getting in today. I have a digital deluxe version but I'm not expecting to get in, and people who buy the CE seem to have the biggest stick up their arse that they don't have instant access day 1.
The Flames of War have consumed so much, and so many...

Mithros
12.14.2011 , 08:28 AM | #10
A) This system was long known. People claiming that Bioware didn't tell them are wrong. Those people apparently expected a Bioware representative to knock on their door and deliver the message personally.

Not how it works. They had an information outlet, and they posted this information there for people that chose to look.

B) Not everyone is raging. Mostly just spoiled brats that were in no hurry to preorder the game or register their codes.

They could wait then, they can wait now. They'll get in early, just not as early.
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.