Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

neXITem
01.11.2012 , 01:28 PM | #501
I'm ok with the answer from bioware. You guys do the right thing. but i want the feature so hurry up hehe

I hope you guys find a good solution to allow higher textures and still have no huge performance decrease. I would say you could let most of this prevent by using level of detail. however i don't know if thats so easy at all. and loading/unloading textures all i sent a good idea too.

I think you guys know what you do, another solution would be to give each system a rig-score if its high enough you can use the "High/Ultra" function of the game. if not your stick with the rest. Thats how some games did it. good luck!

stoopidboiy
01.11.2012 , 01:28 PM | #502
Quote: Originally Posted by Astralll View Post
No offense anyone but....Did anyone really not get the memo over the last few years that the game would not be geared to high end machines? Did they not see the interviews or read the interviews that stated this. W
Interviews and and articles aside, as not everyone has time to follow their favorite games behind the scenes, tell me why then they STILL advertise high resolution textures on their website and in ALL of their gameplay videos?

Honestly this wasn't that big of an issue for me until I popped on the forums and saw the gripe about what their website has been displaying. Now, I knew my game looked like crap before that - and frankly was stumped as to why since the game looked rather fantastic in Beta - but I just sort of figured, "Hey, this is BioWare, it must be a bug they're working on fixinng." Then I read the forums. Then I went to the website and went through a bunch of the screenshots and gameplay videos. Now I'm mad and feel lied to.

Now, I'm not going to threaten to cancel my subscription or anything - and in no way blame those choosing to - but false advertising is false advertising no matter how you cut it. Even after this wonderfully distracting reply from SR, they still have the same screenshots and videos on their site. Anyone else notice, too, that in their gameplay videos that robed Jedi Knights or Sith Warriors don't succumb to BBS (big-butt syndrome)?

I want to play the game you guys show on your website. Where can I get that, cus apparently I bought the wrong game.
"NO WAY! I will bet you all of my Star Wars guys... except Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett-man."

Mandrax
01.11.2012 , 01:29 PM | #503
It's just graphics.

Big deal.

Graphics aren't everything.
Space, is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space...

Poofighter
01.11.2012 , 01:29 PM | #504
First av all the cinematic graphic looks exstremly bad, so dont even mention aboit calling it high quality . Secondly, of course mmo will lag in high quality but thats not an excuse, we still want the oppertunity to put max graphic on. We want ro hace high texture wuality! Dont you understand that the technology goes forward which means graphic will work very goood. The new generation graphic from amd is out now!!!! And new intel proecssor comes in april!!! So dont you dare give the lag issue to. E an excuse for not allowing us to plah with max settings. I'll be one of those who leave first if i dont see any progress.

AirshipGirl
01.11.2012 , 01:29 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by Veryth View Post
Since there is no impact to the server side, whether or not we have high resolution textures enabled, we should at least be given a choice. It's our machine, it's our game experience, and if we don't mind lower frame rates, we should at least have the freedom to choose.

Since they are worried about people turning it on and having a "lesser" game experience, they could keep the option out of the UI, and have it only be able to be turned on through modifying the settings file. That way, only people that are explicitly looking to enable it, and who should have a good idea of the consequences, would be able to turn it on.
It does have an impact, when you have 10 or more people running around in the same area with the high res graphics turned up your FPS drops like a rock. Imagine a battleground like Illium with 20 people. That is why there is lag.

The games engine cannot handle the high res graphics textures and can barely run the low res textures we see on out characters when not in cutscenes.

they
01.11.2012 , 01:30 PM | #506
Quote: Originally Posted by realID View Post
Allow us to crank the settings to whatever we want. If it slows down our client, we can reduce them back down. It should be our choice.
Tell that to Apple. There are huge reasons why it makes sense to limit choice to ensure a fluid experience. That's how Apple has the reputation it does. The "It Just Works" mentality comes from the fact that they make several design choices that could otherwise be user-accessible, to ensure what is there runs as smoothly as possible.

As far as I know, it's not your choice, nor should it be. They want to be able to maintain a bottom line quality of experience, and if that means using textures that aren't as high resolution as you think your rig could handle, that's something they get to decide. Not us.

Lomedae
01.11.2012 , 01:30 PM | #507
If you buy a MMO for the graphics you're a weird, weird specimen.

As an older gamer I am astounded with the quality of graphics we can get in a MMO at the moment, would higher rez be even better? Icing on cake better perhaps, but I'll continue to enjoy my yummie cake regardless of frosting.

And "false"advertising of games has been going on as long as games are being sold. Boohoo. Dig up some old advertisements of old (pre) 8bit games.
If you really bought this game based on TV advertising, then... well... Good luck on enjoying your next whim for 15 minutes.

carnac_fett
01.11.2012 , 01:30 PM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by Mandrax View Post
It's just graphics.

Big deal.

You're right, as long as graphics don't break your immersion into the Star Wars universe, they don't matter at a-

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/1...0722193674.png

OH GOD THERE'S SOMETHING ON MY FACE
Safeguard - Jedi Guardian - Harbinger (US)

XFrOzEnX
01.11.2012 , 01:30 PM | #509
*grabs popcorn*

totally worth the 15$
Psykomantis (Formerly the original Psychomantis of Spaceslug)

R.I.P Spaceslug,

they
01.11.2012 , 01:31 PM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by Mandrax View Post
It's just graphics.

Big deal.

That's the truth. The aesthetics in this game far, far make up for the lack of graphical superiority. (Not to mention the other facets that really shine!)

Edit: Spelling.