Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

KerinKor
01.11.2012 , 11:15 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Total lack of explanation why this didn't happen in Beta.
This!

Actually, we probably know why, the 'reviewers' got the 'hi-def' version, the paying customers ended up with the lo-def one.

Thus the reviews came out looking great and we ended up with ****.

Nice Bioware, really nice, the only MMO developer that has to use 'tricks' because their engine sucks and can't handle hi-def.

sockfire
01.11.2012 , 11:15 AM | #22
That's what I figured was the case.

That said, I'd like to see a higher rez preview window when trying on gear. More camera controls in that window would be nice too. Right now it feels kinda muddy and low rez compared to everything else.

Arcoril
01.11.2012 , 11:16 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by gabrielhead View Post
I assume you will be removing the High res screenshots from the site that market the game as something that its not. And asking the reviewers to do the same.
I agree with this completely.

Caonimah
01.11.2012 , 11:16 AM | #24
Welp, just like I expected.

Maybe next time that they decide to make an MMO ( big if) they'll decide to spend more time optimizing their client so it doesn't blow up the moment 30 people walk in screen with high fidelity armor.

And yeah, all "ingame" pics and videos distributed should be updated to reflect the current state of the client. Maybe it would give an incentive to the devs to work harder on the issues.

Falis
01.11.2012 , 11:16 AM | #25
sad panda

Sharma
01.11.2012 , 11:17 AM | #26
anyone with realistic expectations wouldve seen this coming. now just need to learn to live with it and move on, or keep complaining. improved graphics and optimization happens to all long lived MMOs and will happen eventually whether the players complain or not. i'd rather spend more time bringing other issues to the devs attention like bugs, exploits, and much needed features or fixes like a GTN redesign, macros, target of target/focus portraits, etc.

sithlordmauler
01.11.2012 , 11:17 AM | #27
Id rather play and awesome game on slightly lower settings, than a shallow lifeless game with a nice face on it.

IRL the shallow bombshell beauties a lot of times end up only having beauty skin-deep.

Thanks for the update Stephen, and thanks for your dedication to this awesome game.

Look forward to being around for many years to come.
Acha'ikosia - Scoundrel DPS
<Grievance>
Jedi Covenant - US

theblaznee
01.11.2012 , 11:17 AM | #28
Could we get an interrim fix where just our own characters are rendered with high rez textures.. So we can look at ourselves and not see an smudged blob?

The textures are fine when we run around looking at other players, but we spend quite a bit more time staring at our own player and I personally would like that to look a little crisper..
Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness!

Fight hard, die well!

FlawlessSoul
01.11.2012 , 11:18 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by carnac_fett View Post
Well, thank you for the concise reply, Mr. Reid.

However, I have chosen to stop playing The Old Republic.

You used the high-resolution character models and textures for hundreds upon hundreds of screenshots and videos that were purportedly showing actual gameplay - for instance, your progression videos which showed combat. Those certainly weren't dialogue scenes.

I purchased the game expecting that level of graphical fidelity. I have never seen another MMO use special textures that are unavailable to players in their gameplay videos.

Good luck to everyone working on the game and continuing to play it.
This is how I feel. If I thought I'd get anywhere with it, I'd request a refund of the original purchase price, as well, but as it stands I'll just not continue my sub after the free month is up. On top of that, your lack of transparency and your reticence about responding to an issue doesn't fill me with confidence regarding the future.

Send me an email when you finally get a release worthy product.

Jeronas
01.11.2012 , 11:18 AM | #30
It doesn't make any sense!

As earlier in Beta the High Resolution textures WERE available and plenty of beta testers were happy and content with it, without suffering performance problems!

It doesn't involve a lot of development, as it has been working before!

1. Why do you REMOVE the CHOICE for us to run HighRes textures? Why can't we decide if it's worth it to us and if our High End PC's can handle it?

The worst of all in this, is that this SIGNIFICANT decision and change was NOT COMMUNICATED to the public before release!!

2. With this statement, you basically confirmed and are now commiting and guilty of BLATANTLY FALSE advertisment! As ALL your screenshot and video footage, as well as earlier beta footage, shows HIGH RESOLUTION character models!

We PAID for the game (me 300 bucks for two CE editions) with the EXPECTATION to run the game as was ADVERTISED! With High resolution character models!

This brings us to the third point:

3. Are you going to offer a FULL refund for people that wish so, now the cat has come out of the bag?