Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Jonlinar
01.11.2012 , 02:03 PM | #591
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
Might make sense on 32 Bit OS. On my 64 bit OS, however, it's got that large memory address aware (or whatever it is) flag set that causes WOW64 to give it the full 4GB. Which I should know, because I've seen it shoot up as high as 3.8GB under the influence of one of those explosive memory leaks I mentioned a bit earlier.
They need to support systems other than Windows. The 32 bit world has been around a lot longer than 64 bit has and is more pervasive and "stable."

Mannic
01.11.2012 , 02:04 PM | #592

Sort of. The high res textures your computer can't feed to the memory fast enough in a normal environment, causing lag. They're crystal clear, absolutely glorious.

The textures you see the rest of the time are toned down to stop the hard drive thrashing when it needs to load a lot of textures at once.
Sorry but if the textures we're currently seeing in cut-scenes are the "hi-res" textures, that's pretty sad. I have literally seen games with superior texture quality on their normal-camera views than BW's cut-scene, "hi-res" textures.

I seriously wonder how people can continue to support the idea that this engine isn't poorly optimized. They have to kil texture quality, remove native AA and include only 8x AF while advising people not to run high-quality shadows just to get the game to run well, and it still has trouble with varying hardware configurations, often on the highest end systems. If what BW has in current cut-scenes is what they consider "hi-res" textures that's fairly disappointing.

Grammarye
01.11.2012 , 02:05 PM | #593
Quote: Originally Posted by shananigan View Post
lol, it is a debugger from beta, that they never removed, I was not saying it should not be on your computer,rather it should not be there period, that is what the second .exe is.

I wonder what could be manipulated through that though... hmmm
How do you know? Where's your proof?
Might make sense on 32 Bit OS. On my 64 bit OS, however, it's got that large memory address aware (or whatever it is) flag set that causes WOW64 to give it the full 4GB. Which I should know, because I've seen it shoot up as high as 3.8GB under the influence of one of those explosive memory leaks I mentioned a bit earlier.
Yes that is my point. 32-bit OSes are still in use. You don't needlessly limit your market. You also don't run entirely different code paths on different bitness of OSes, because trust me that way madless lies.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 02:05 PM | #594
Quote: Originally Posted by Jonlinar View Post
Easy. In a 32 bit world, you can only do so much. The same is true in any bit world but 64 bit has a much higher limit. Thus, having two processes let's you do things you can't do with just one. If you have one process handling all the UI/"game" stuff and the other simply being responsible for JUST rendering and the graphics pipeline then you can take advantage of all 32 of your bits for addressing instead of just 24.... or even 16.... *shudder* or 8.

ninja'd
The 64 bit limit is so stupidly high that it's not a serious concern for the foreseeable future(16 EXAbytes if I recall an old calculation I did once correctly. Exa is the prefix above the prefix above Tera, btw).

Even when running as a 32 bit process, it still gains access to up to 4GB of total addressing space, which I've yet to see it come close to except under the influence of memory leaks.

Given than a 32 bit system is only going to support a max of 3-odd GB of RAM anyway, trying to push it to more than 2GB is kinda pointless: you're gonna need around half to all of the remainder just to run the OS.

It also uses starkly less memory than the main process.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Bluebpy
01.11.2012 , 02:06 PM | #595
Quote: Originally Posted by Mannic View Post
Sorry but if the textures we're currently seeing in cut-scenes are the "hi-res" textures, that's pretty sad. I have literally seen games with superior texture quality on their normal-camera views than BW's cut-scene, "hi-res" textures.

I seriously wonder how people can continue to support the idea that this engine isn't poorly optimized. They have to kil texture quality, remove AA and include only 8x AF to get the game to run well, and it still has trouble with varying hardware configurations, often on the highest end systems. If what BW has in current cut-scenes is what they consider "hi-res" textures that's fairly disappointing.
How i feel man......... how i feel

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...sokro1_500.png

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 02:08 PM | #596
Quote: Originally Posted by Mannic View Post

I seriously wonder how people can continue to support the idea that this engine isn't poorly optimized. They have to kil texture quality, remove native AA and include only 8x AF while advising people not to run high-quality shadows just to get the game to run well, and it still has trouble with varying hardware configurations, often on the highest end systems. If what BW has in current cut-scenes is what they consider "hi-res" textures that's fairly disappointing.
...you might have that bug where if you installed before Jan 4th, the setting doesn't work right. You can clear that by changing the setting, then changing it back.

'Cause the max res textures I've seen were almost perfect, nearly flawless.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Grammarye
01.11.2012 , 02:09 PM | #597
The 64 bit limit is so stupidly high that it's not a serious concern for the foreseeable future(16 EXAbytes if I recall an old calculation I did once correctly. Exa is the prefix above the prefix above Tera, btw).

Even when running as a 32 bit process, it still gains access to up to 4GB of total addressing space, which I've yet to see it come close to except under the influence of memory leaks.

Given than a 32 bit system is only going to support a max of 3-odd GB of RAM anyway, trying to push it to more than 2GB is kinda pointless: you're gonna need around half to all of the remainder just to run the OS.

You are confusing RAM with address space. System RAM is not the only user of address space. That 2GB VRAM on your graphics card counts too.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Jonlinar
01.11.2012 , 02:09 PM | #598
For now. They may have plans down the line for it. Or, if it is a debugger artifact, they could remove it entirely. If they do have plans for it, then it's one of those architecture decisions you make early and "just use it" to make your life easier down the road.

SLOcardshark
01.11.2012 , 02:13 PM | #599
I think the game should just give us the option to choose how many Player-Controlled Characters are being displayed on our screens...for instance...

0 PC characters displayed (except for your own, of course))

Party Members Only Displayed

All PC Characters displayed.

Also. let us alter the Field-of-view parameters from "Close" to "Far".

KennethHoover
01.11.2012 , 02:13 PM | #600
But how can people be happy if they're not running around screaming and overreacting?
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me