Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

nonforma
01.11.2012 , 12:55 PM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
The speculation as the moment is that it's an attempt to break private servers, by essentially making some of the assets unavailable to them: It's the only plausible thing anyone's come up with to explain why you might do such a thing.

I can't see simple encryption accomplishing that, however. With access to the client, which we all have, you could pretty easily break the encryption.

There'd have to somehow be some kind of element that wasn't present in the client necessary to the process.
It would be primarily to protect local art assets, so like you said to prevent private servers, also to prevent theft of art assets by other games. It could also improve security by essentially checksumming assets on-demand.

And encryption done correctly can be very difficult to break. What this boils down to is a form of code-signing a la consoles. Remote authorization is required to access game assets on a regular basis. (Speculation!)

Exilious
01.11.2012 , 12:57 PM | #512
I went to Harvad and got a PhD in Social Psychology and I can say that with all of my education and learning considered, this is a 50+ page troll thread.
"Be careful of charity and kindness, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist." -Kreia

Saiaku
01.11.2012 , 12:58 PM | #513
So high quality textures on the character is bad because MMO engines cant handle it, or just ToR's engine, here in 2012?

At least add it to the preferences->graphics menu so that those with better PCs can enjoy it.
Hidden Beks -> Nightmare Lands -> The Red Eclipse

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 12:58 PM | #514
Quote: Originally Posted by miliways View Post
It would drag the game performance to a halt. Your OS takes 5 minutes to boot if its doing decryption on-the-fly, and it doesn't have 3D real-time graphics in the back ground to worry about.
Full drive encryption, whichever sort comes packed in with Fedora anyway, doesn't cause this sort of an effect. Once the key is entered it's pretty much completely transparent. What kind of general performance impact it has I've never measured, but it doesn't dramatically affect boot up time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Saiaku View Post
So high quality textures on the character is bad because MMO engines cant handle it, or just ToR's engine, here in 2012?

At least add it to the preferences->graphics menu so that those with better PCs can enjoy it.
Because your hard drive can't read it out fast enough to get it into the memory where it can actually be used in a timely fashion.

This can almost certainly be compensated somehow or another, eventually, but it's not going to a quick or easy thing to do.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Jimer_Lins
01.11.2012 , 12:58 PM | #515
I love these threads. They always devolve into measuring contests and appendage-waving over who has the best technical credentials. Add some half-baked speculation and some outright trolls and you've got yourself a party!
Jimer Lins, Juyo Server

Be sure to tune in to my LIVE weekly two-hour SWTOR talk show, Live From the Nar Shaddaa Lounge, every Tuesday night at 7 PM Pacific!

CupieFoxtail
01.11.2012 , 12:59 PM | #516
I went to Oxford and got a doctorate in underwater basket weaving
So I think I'm qualified to say that BW will fix this

nonforma
01.11.2012 , 01:01 PM | #517
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
Full drive encryption, whichever sort comes packed in with Fedora anyway, doesn't cause this sort of an effect. Once the key is entered it's pretty much completely transparent. What kind of general performance impact it has I've never measured, but it doesn't dramatically affect boot up time.
Full drive encryption can increase boot time substantially, but once the main system files are cached things are about normal.

That said, this encryption would be on specific assets, not runtime files (which are susceptible to such disk encryption slowdown). The bulk of required assets can be decrypted during the long planet load time. There are several large cache files in the game that have very high disk i/o during load times.

Arkanovi
01.11.2012 , 01:02 PM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by Exilious View Post
I went to Harvad and got a PhD in Social Psychology and I can say that with all of my education and learning considered, this is a 50+ page troll thread.
Social Psychology? You enjoy working in Mcdonald's?

knsonier
01.11.2012 , 01:02 PM | #519
subbed

Incendergel
01.11.2012 , 01:04 PM | #520
Well - is it speculation? You do have mods replying.

I mean you or I can start the client, pull up a process list, and see what is running. Most people with any common sense could deduce that two processes talking to one another on the same system has overhead.

In regards to the possible theory that it is done to prevent private servers. Other mmo's face this issue. I think they took the higher road though and just built a better game or added content. Use any search engine you want to and you will see them out there. Yet some of those games still report large number of subscribers.

Private servers are unsecure and allow cheating. Not much fun depending on yoru play style. Other servers are running because the games are no longer being maintained, released, or supported. Take your pick but in the end it comes down to the development team and publisher.

Build a good game and people will pay to play.