Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

TheTurniipKing
01.11.2012 , 07:41 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
No, but it helps.

Honestly, I would really prefer it if I was wrong... If it turns out to be true it could generate a ton of bad press and flat out kill the game. For the most part, it's a really good game.

SOME of the rendering: what I've seen so far sounds like it's mostly or entirely the character models it's affecting. Your computer still has to splice the different bits together.
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm well aware of the issues that some players have had, and whatever potential this system has for good appears to being completely overridden.

Isharel
01.11.2012 , 07:41 AM | #32
I actually wish this were true. No way rigs that can run Skyrim silk smooth struggle with an engine like this on the lowest settings possible. Allso, "fanboy" here and I'm screaming since launch day. So bite on that :P
Founder, unsubscribed after 6 months of disappointment.

myrmexaw
01.11.2012 , 07:44 AM | #33
Well using netlimiter 3 you can clearly see the 2nd process never use any kind of bandwidth with that said the game consume twice as much bandwidth during loading zone than gameplay... Probably not a good thing in my opinion...

Hexyn
01.11.2012 , 07:44 AM | #34
Perhaps this has something to do with the long loading times for some areas aswell, it's kinda strange how the loading bar just stops (HDD activity also reduces to minimum) at about 30% through as if you are queued for something remote.

UnknownMobius
01.11.2012 , 07:45 AM | #35
Excellent post Tiron_Raptor ,

+1 and bump this thread till it bursts.

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 07:45 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by TheTurniipKing View Post
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm well aware of the issues that some players have had, and whatever potential this system has for good appears to being completely overridden.
As has been pointed out, rendering it on the server would take a tremendous amount of bandwidth and server resources, which costs EA a lot of money, so it's pretty likely they wouldn't do that in any case.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

ilovepeanuts
01.11.2012 , 07:45 AM | #37
Interesting read and looking forward to the response!
It is not that I do not like SWTOR, I just can't stand the countless drones blindly defending it.

krinaman
01.11.2012 , 07:49 AM | #38
Didn't have time to read all the threads but how much of this is fact and how much is speculation. Because from the posts I read i've seen it's mostly wild speculation based of a the name of a DLL.

Minack
01.11.2012 , 07:51 AM | #39
What models are they "protecting"? I haven't seen anything worth stealing.

Deamor
01.11.2012 , 07:51 AM | #40
Gotta say that this is very interesting reading.

I myself am not too fussed about the texture quality. I like the way the game looks as it is but I can see where the people who want better come from. Better textures wouldn't hurt.

This thing, if true, stretches a lot further than just textures. So I am eagerly seeing where this thread leads.
▔▔▔▔▔╲╱▔▔▔▔▔
The Red Eclipse - EU