Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

decampo
01.11.2012 , 07:32 AM | #21
Very interesting read and if true seems like an awful design decision from the company. I have cancelled my subscription in light of the problems I have been having with textures, performance and character responsiveness, but still have 60 days left from a pre paid card so hopefully they can rectify these issues soon with updates and significant patches. Only then will I decide whether or not to continue playing the game.

skyvahaerie
01.11.2012 , 07:33 AM | #22
All that sounds quite interesting, but if this really is some kind of copy protection, we won't get an answer at all, except for "Stop toying with the client, you will corrupt your installation" or something like that. But we will see...

Cordelia
01.11.2012 , 07:33 AM | #23
This would be incredible if true. A game company deliberately crippling their own game for the sake of protecting models. I noticed the problem with many players in an area but assumed it was my PC despite not having problems any other time.

drakhri
01.11.2012 , 07:33 AM | #24
Hopefully they will figure out that such systems are crippling when even a mediocre amount of players are in the same area.

I wonder if this is also what causes the UI to completely stop my game for 1/2 a second every time I open a new window (very easy to see by simply spamming B).

Iusedtoplaywow
01.11.2012 , 07:35 AM | #25
A severe oversight pertaining to basic MMO functionality from Bioware?

No wai!

Valorak
01.11.2012 , 07:36 AM | #26
Am very curious to hear an official response to this.

In other words, bump

DarthPeterNorth
01.11.2012 , 07:36 AM | #27
If this is true i would like to be by every fanboi side that screams that the game is perfect and shoot them in the eye.
Digital Deluxe Edition Owner.

KreiosX
01.11.2012 , 07:38 AM | #28
It would certainly go a long way to explaining no HD Textures and 8 Bit looking shadows. As well as the obvious performance issues regardless of system quality. Not to mention completely contradicting their responses on eurogamer.

Ypogi
01.11.2012 , 07:38 AM | #29
subbed, sounds interesting.
9/29/2011 email

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 07:39 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Iusedtoplaywow View Post
A severe oversight pertaining to basic MMO functionality from Bioware?

No wai!
Honestly I'd be more inclined to think that it was EA, Lucasarts, or some combination of the two that brought this in. EA's already had a few controversies due to overzealous DRM, and LA's wrecked at least a couple of games with edicts from on high, including SWG.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.