Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Belmos
01.11.2012 , 09:23 AM | #191
you good sur are one hell of a detective!!

read it and now that i bin reading it some things fall in place.

the sudon "no movement from mouth" from a voice animated cut scene. the riding the speeder with lightsabers still out. and the atack a crate/box for quest object and lightsabers still point in the air funny. could verry well explain it

if i take a still copy of a prerendert animation and apply the changes i would have exactly what you discribing if the render actualy comes from the server. ( granted the last thing with the lightsabers pointing in the air should have a fault in the coding then to render it back to full after the move ) its begining to look ..... grim i actualy like the game but not to that extend destroying a fairly new rig in the proces.

if its true what you say .... our graphiccards gonna burnout sooner are later due to high trafic.
cant imagine that this can be good for anycard the amount of data transmited!!! would be stagering

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 09:23 AM | #192
Quote: Originally Posted by Aniaden View Post
Actually that does nothing to solve it.
I missed that one earlier, that's just the ability QUEUE. It lets you set how long in advance of the cooldown finishing you can push the button and have it go off. It sticks it in a queue to set off when the cooldown finishes. It does cause a SLIGHT delay, because its timing for when the cooldown ends is off.

'Ability delay' is really a series of different issues that all cause some kind of interactivity problem, and this really isn't the thread for a full discussion of it.

One of them, however, is animations taking some time before they start, and delaying each other...which could be explained by this remote rendering thing lagging up the process.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

HerrFett
01.11.2012 , 09:23 AM | #193
MMO developers seem to really love shooting themselfes in the foot.Bioware,if this is true are shooting themselfes with 105mm Howitzers. >.<

I will laugh my *** off if this game fails because of such stupid decisions,really.
Unsubscribed SWTOR due to FPS problems/terribad engine,ignorant devs/community managers and false advertising.

Caonimah
01.11.2012 , 09:23 AM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by Aniaden View Post
Actually that does nothing to solve it.
It really doesnt, what this does is set a time for the client to "hold" the next attack you press so it does it after finishing the last attack. I dont even know why they even implement it like this instead of doing the more conventional method of half or full like LOTRO and RIFT. I guess that in their desire to be different they opt for a more convoluted measure.

BalynRex
01.11.2012 , 09:24 AM | #195
An interesting, well thought out post with a lot of detailed information, thankyou.

I understand that no one really has any answers for this at the moment but if this was the method in which Bioware were rendering some of the 3D models, this would cause a significant strain on bandwidth, correct?

Now hopefully I'm not coming across as "one of those guys" here but my brother who isn't really an online gamer but loves StarWars is playing this with me on a fairly equally specced system but using a budget option 2mb internet line whereas I'm using 50mb. Our computers pretty much handle the game identically - would this theory not suggest that he would have more issues than I do due to his line speed being significantly slower?

Secondly, and in the same vein. SWTOR opens up US and EU servers for anyone who wants to play on them despite them being physically located in different parts of the world. I'm from the EU but my gameplay experience (minus a slight hitch in latency) is no different when I opt to play on a US server - wouldn't such a system have a harder time downloading and the rendering the data from the other side of the Atlantic?

Just thoughts. Keep up the discussion!

Rophez
01.11.2012 , 09:24 AM | #196
I was trying to imagine what could possibly be the explanation for their reluctance to allow the option of high res textures. If it causes client instability/low frame rates on slower machines, the option should at least be there for those of us with high-end machines. To add to the mystery, Stephen Reid has admitted that they are not available and late last month called it a 'bug.' This week, however, he has been cryptic about an official statement that requires multiple sign-offs before we can see it.

I'm afraid that the idea of some sort of absurd copy protection that is bottlenecking the system makes perfect sense. I can only think that it is LA that is the culprit, as Bioware wouldn't want their game to look like garbage, and would turn this off or at the very least allow for an optional, locally stored, high resolution texture pack for those of us that care about how our characters look.
Bioware - Please stop advertising with high resolution textures if they are impossible to implement in the retail client.

Thorun
01.11.2012 , 09:24 AM | #197
good find. i too i was looking through the files but i didnt find this.

Keep this going

Bluebpy
01.11.2012 , 09:26 AM | #198
I KNEW something was wrong. There is noway that the game runs at 100+fps (which it should on my rig) then drops down to 20, 30, 40 in some areas. it chugs like its a paging issue when I go to the imperial fleet

In some cases im on my mount and my fps will drop by 50 and pause, go, pause go....

Im running an I-7 920 Overclocked to 4.3Ghz
16 Gigs of Ram
2 EVGA 460's in SLi

I can run Battlefield 3 maxed out at 1920x1080 at over 70fps and swtor runs at 20fps in some areas? no way... like I said i knew something was horribly wrong.

This all makes sense with what the OP has posted. I was wondering what that 2nd process was.

I remember high res textures in the early beta. I had no idea why, even with nvidia console the game still looked bad. All makes sense now.....

Also if the server is sending out clients Textures and game data because its being rendered on their end, how will this affect my bandwidth? I need to check out netlimiter and see what the total bandwidth is here because some of us (in canada) has bandwidth caps.

noway in hell im stayed subbed if this game eats away at my monthly bandwidth cap.

Hopefully Bioware will response to this

Love this game but

Zlodo
01.11.2012 , 09:26 AM | #199
Just because it's called "remoterenderer" it doesn't mean that it's rendering running on the server side. It seems more like a different process on the same machine. The term "remote" is often used to refer to communicating with a different process running on the same machine.

Even if some (or all) rendering is done by a separate process it doesn't mean that a lot of data is being exchanged between the client and that process. I've been looking at RemoteRenderer.dll in a disassembler and judging by the function it exports, it directly initializes a directx renderer in a provided window handle.

Still it is unclear what role that remoterenderer.dll plays in the client, and it is still difficult to believe that the overhead of involving inter process communication in the rendering wouldn't have some significant performance cost.
Eleris, Jedi Shadow, Lord Calypho
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Mugo
01.11.2012 , 09:26 AM | #200
I didn't want to spend too much time on studying how client works and what happens with 2 different swtor client processes. Just run swtor on customized virtual machine and sniff what is getting in and out from that machine.

If OP claim stands, this definitely increases needed bandwidth for this game. And it will increase data inflow for game, meaning that game will "download" more data than other games. What makes sense if you take in consideration how they complicate things about ISP and connection to server.

As I said, it's not up to me, but if they aren't careful enough, they might loose more than win.