Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Granrick
01.11.2012 , 08:38 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Mandrax View Post
It's bad if the OP is in fact correct. I think the OP was right to ask the question, but I'm not sure we should be taking this as fact.

I'm not bashing the OP here, I think this is definitely something that requires more exploration or indeed a response from BioWare.

I'm not too au fait with all these things but surely if this was true, wouldn't everyone be experiencing the issues that some are talking about? Or, what could cause some people to experience the issues whilst others don't?
This.

Don't go running around yelling conspiracy and cancelling accounts on a theory. We need to push for answers, not jump to conclusions. The OP has been very good about this.

And don't forget about the effect confirmation bias has on your views:
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/...irmation-bias/

Perram
01.11.2012 , 08:39 AM | #102
If this turns out to be true... this is the worst example of copy protection I can think of. I'm not sure I can justify playing this game, as fun as it is, with this sort of nonsense going on behind the scenes.

Seriously, I hoped Bioware was above this junk.

archifikoss
01.11.2012 , 08:41 AM | #103
Very interesting thread... Posted to rate

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 08:41 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Granrick View Post
This.

Don't go running around yelling conspiracy and cancelling accounts on a theory. We need to push for answers, not jump to conclusions. The OP has been very good about this.

And don't forget about the effect confirmation bias has on your views:
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/...irmation-bias/
QFT. Finding the truth is what matters.

Quote: Originally Posted by Malpraxis View Post
My money goes on the bandwidth.
I have a 20mbit down/2mbit up VSDL connection, I can download at around 2.2 Megabytes per second. I still experience somewhat delayed animations, and the other day in republic fleet had my FPS go completely to crap while the hard drive went NUTS, practically identical to paging symptoms. I have 8GB of RAM, and 1GB of VRAM. I don't have an SSD, but I do have a Raptor-X, which is small and reasonably speedy.

It was also fairly recently loaded from scratch, with old files copied from the prior hard drive in massive batches. Fragmentation should be fairly minimal, overall.

Quote: Originally Posted by Perram View Post
If this turns out to be true... this is the worst example of copy protection I can think of. I'm not sure I can justify playing this game, as fun as it is, with this sort of nonsense going on behind the scenes.

Seriously, I hoped Bioware was above this junk.
My suspicion falls more on EA than anyone: they've got a history of forcing through ill-considered DRM schemes, it was why I didn't get Mass Effect for a VERY long time after it game out...I got it shortly after it was added to Steam withOUT SecuROM.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

monimoni
01.11.2012 , 08:42 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilenya View Post
I must admit I have spent almost 2 hours reading through this thread, - and trying, to understand the paper you link to in the OP. - Which is really way beyond my grasp, but when Im hearing someone explain how his fps remains stable while the world is loading, and how his game renders low resolution for a short while in a new area, till the game kinda "catches" up, I can 100% recognise the experience. I just didnt really know what to file that under before.

My cpu has been running so hot playing swtor, when it was completely fine during beta. I couldnt understand what had happened to it. It went fine with Skyrim, and the other mmo I play, which is EVE on high res, and so - not having much pc savyness I couldnt figure out what made Swtor special. - I understand now that it is very cpu intensive, and I am understanding now, why my cpu will run swtor at 45C when Im fighting mobs alone, but shoot up to 58-60C in imperial fleet when Im standing at the galactic trade hub with 30 people around me. - And this is after I pulled the cpu fan out and reapplied thermal paste to it. - Before that, my cpu almost cooked itself. And this came out of the blue.

There wasnt any warning from BW that they had changed the client somehow, and that the resolution while being low/when you think its medium, also demanded so much more out of my cpu. I think it would have been nice if they had been open about this.

Firstly, because as this thread and others show, where there be geeks, there be no secrets
My computer is also running scary hot. And it's a good system, it doesn't flinch playing other games or watching videos, etc. I couldn't understand why the fan just kicks in very loud every time I play swtor, but perhaps this explains it.

Sadly, if this is the case, I'm not going to ruin my computer over a game. Back to Skyrim or something until this is fixed.

Elgarr
01.11.2012 , 08:42 AM | #106
If this is true, a lot of people are going to have to eat a very large humble pie.

Will be interesting to see BW's response, if any!

You will also require a medal if it is the case!

Nilenya
01.11.2012 , 08:42 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Mandrax View Post
It's bad if the OP is in fact correct. I think the OP was right to ask the question, but I'm not sure we should be taking this as fact.

I'm not bashing the OP here, I think this is definitely something that requires more exploration or indeed a response from BioWare.

I'm not too au fait with all these things but surely if this was true, wouldn't everyone be experiencing the issues that some are talking about? Or, what could cause some people to experience the issues whilst others don't?
Im by no means an expert at all.

But I believe EVERYONE is currently experiencing medium or low res graphics in game regardless of how high they have put their graphics.

cutXthroat
01.11.2012 , 08:43 AM | #108
If bio is up to this sneaky stuff, they need to be caught red handed.

Androvis
01.11.2012 , 08:43 AM | #109
Greetings-

I'm a bit of a hardware monkey as well (at work, and at home), and this game runs my system much hotter than games that tax it much harder. I seriously hope that this is all a tin foil hat conspiracy, because if not - this game is dead in the water. They will have lost customer trust.

Regards
Androvis
1) Level Slicing to 400
2) ???
3) No more Profit!

drbaltazar
01.11.2012 , 08:44 AM | #110
also i am gona go on a limb here but i bet remote rendered is some kind of remote differential compression (if it isnt using it)basicly the idea is it only update what need updating what need updating in swtor we got the game we go everything but i bet there is one thing we dont have the key,(wow do this you upload the whole file and when they re ready they send you the key to unlock the game content)i bet it is a similar process here but for everything.so imagine all those player trying to get a key at same time during rush hour ?plus everythuing that is going on!grin no surprise we have so much issue lol