Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Invalid name?

Thomasklij
12.13.2011 , 07:57 AM | #1
In every MMO I play I am known as "Psycho". But when I try that name, it just gives me an "invalid name" error. The name is not taken, it is simply not allowed.
I plan to play this game for a pretty long time and not being able to use my name is a big issue for me.
I'm wondering why that name is not allowed? I was able to get pretty much every other variation on the name (Psychotic, Psychosis, even just Psy), and the name is not offensive in any way.

Kousa
12.13.2011 , 07:58 AM | #2
Go to another server and see if the name is unavailable there and then draw the assumption that someone took your name.

Thomasklij
12.13.2011 , 08:07 AM | #3
No, I tried names that were already taken (by some of my guild members) and this gives a different message. It will say "Name is unavailable", not the "Name is invalid" message I'm getting.
The message I'm getting is the one that you get for offensive names or names of people already in the star wars universe (like Vader or Maul).

Kousa
12.13.2011 , 08:09 AM | #4
Then the name is unavailable, probably for copyright reasons.

Thomasklij
12.13.2011 , 08:13 AM | #5
Bah, that's really disappointing.
Ah well, nothing I can do about it, I suppose

Luticrus
12.13.2011 , 08:16 AM | #6
It's also possible that the name is being used by Bioware as the name of an NPC.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me.
Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing.
Only I will remain." -Paul Atreides

TheRogue
12.14.2011 , 11:12 AM | #7
I'm having the same issue, which is sad because I was using the name during Beta, and now apparently they have made it invalid (not unavailable, just simply not able to be used).

brokensoldier
12.14.2011 , 12:12 PM | #8
I assume Bioware has a table that just restricts well known names that they don't want us to use. Either that or they are saving them for themselves

The following got 'invalid name' for me:
Loki
Freyja
SilentBob

I seriously doubt they have an NPC named SilentBob...

Wackjob
12.14.2011 , 08:44 PM | #9
Yeah it kinda sucks. Can't even use the name I have here on the forums! =(

GomurrTheAncient
12.14.2011 , 11:36 PM | #10
I can't even use a name I had in the beta. All I wanted was to be Malus, because it means both Evil and Apple in Latin, so it was a fitting evil Darth name and I would get to make jokes to myself about 'how you like them apples' that only I would find amusing. Malus was a perfectly fine name in the beta. Now.... invalid. Sadface.