Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguard DPS vs Commando DPS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Vanguard DPS vs Commando DPS

Vindojeens
01.11.2012 , 03:52 AM | #1
Hey there fellow troopers,

I have a Level 17 Commando and a Level 17 Vanguard. I like the Commando more but I wondered is it worth sticking to commando or shall I continue playing the Vanguard? I want to do maximum, ranged DPS. No healing, no tanking involved.

Will it be possible to find an operations group if you are a commando dps or will I be supposed to heal?

Thanks a lot for all input.

Vindojeens
01.11.2012 , 03:53 AM | #2
I also understand that Trooper is not a real DPS class..I could play gunslinger for max ranged DPS but, oh dear, this whole taking cover thing is terrible.

Domiinick
01.11.2012 , 04:12 AM | #3
Commando: You're a turret. You dish out a ton of ranged damage, are still fairly hardy, but you have to remain mostly immobile for it. Has the added benefit of heals.

Vanguard: You're a battering ram. You're not going to do as much face value damage as a commando, but it's constant, and generally very steady, making it hard to topple in the long run. Has the added benefit of tanking/taunts.
"Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe. " - Voltaire

Taynor
01.11.2012 , 05:48 AM | #4
Vanguard is a cqc character. If you want ranged dps stick with commando.

Darpo-
01.11.2012 , 07:28 AM | #5
Commando is the best for Dps, Vanguard is just for tanking.

Guurzak
01.11.2012 , 08:16 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Vindojeens View Post
I want to do maximum, ranged DPS.
Your options for ranged dps are Sage, Gunslinger, and Commando. Vanguard is absolutely not a ranged class.

TheRabbit
01.11.2012 , 10:12 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Darpo- View Post
Commando is the best for Dps, Vanguard is just for tanking.
It is really iritating that the game has been out for this long (including all the time it was playable in beta) and people are still this incompetent regarding classes. It's like saying Commandos are just for healing.

Every. Single. Class. Can. DPS.

It is especially bad considering this nonsensical drivel is being consistently posted on the trooper forums by people claiming to play as a trooper.

Every single day I see at least one post on here by a Commando saying that if you want to DPS you need to play as a Commando. I honestly canít tell if the people making the posts are trolling, or if they really donít know any better. It makes me sad.

Cartho
01.11.2012 , 10:18 AM | #8
People who say "Commandos are for DPS, Vanguards are just for tanking" are horribad, and talking with nothing to back up their claims. Until we get a DPS meter / combat logging in the game we have absolutely no way of telling which can dish out more DPS in a given situation. Currently all we can do is look at stuff like "oh last night I killed my add 3 seconds faster than this other guy" - newsflash, that is in no way a measure of the class' performance as a whole.

if the question is "Which is better for RANGED dps, then the answer is Commando. I think of Vanguard DPS to be more like a melee class. Sure you have a couple of 30m range abilities but most require you to be in melee range or at least <= 10m. Think of VG as being a non force using melee class, and you've kind of gotten the idea. Commandos are the ranged class.
Slashinator, Sith Juggernaut - The Shadow Runner EU

juanni
01.11.2012 , 10:18 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRabbit View Post
It is really iritating that the game has been out for this long (including all the time it was playable in beta) and people are still this incompetent regarding classes. It's like saying Commandos are just for healing.

Every. Single. Class. Can. DPS.

It is especially bad considering this nonsensical drivel is being consistently posted on the trooper forums by people claiming to play as a trooper.

Every single day I see at least one post on here by a Commando saying that if you want to DPS you need to play as a Commando. I honestly canít tell if the people making the posts are trolling, or if they really donít know any better. It makes me sad.
Agreed. I also don't understand why people automatically assume if an advanced class has the option to tank they MUST be a tank.

Cartho
01.11.2012 , 11:27 AM | #10
I'd love it if, when we get addons / combat logging, we find out that Vanguard DPS destroys Commando DPS. It'd be so funny seeing all the forum QQ from Commandos who went with it purely because some moron on the forums told them it was better.
Slashinator, Sith Juggernaut - The Shadow Runner EU