Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Cartumandua's Avatar


Cartumandua
01.26.2012 , 05:41 PM | #541
Quote: Originally Posted by Rahl_Windsong View Post
What bothers me is that it is reportable and they would probably do something about it if you did report it. I come from the original Ultima Online and PvPer's of modern MMO's have no idea what so ever about grief from other players...hahaha! I always find stuff like this so funny. In UO if I killed you I can take all your stuff with you standing there as a ghost and anything you type on the screen will be displayed as ghost speak...Ohoooo Ohooo...etc...Oh and if you happened to have your house key on you I can use it to gate to your house and loot it too...lol
Which is why, despite my love of all MMORGs, I never ever even tried ultima online. It's reputation as a griefers' paradise ensured lots of players like me stayed far away.

daemian's Avatar


daemian
01.26.2012 , 05:42 PM | #542
Quote: Originally Posted by Rahl_Windsong View Post
What bothers me is that it is reportable and they would probably do something about it if you did report it. I come from the original Ultima Online and PvPer's of modern MMO's have no idea what so ever about grief from other players...hahaha! I always find stuff like this so funny. In UO if I killed you I can take all your stuff with you standing there as a ghost and anything you type on the screen will be displayed as ghost speak...Ohoooo Ohooo...etc...Oh and if you happened to have your house key on you I can use it to gate to your house and loot it too...lol
Different game. When I play EVE I know what I'm in for. If TOR was intended to be a gankfest where every player has to watch their backs 24/7, then they should get rid of PVE servers and just say so (but I'm pretty sure that's not the case).

VarnieTsk's Avatar


VarnieTsk
01.26.2012 , 05:47 PM | #543
Quote: Originally Posted by Rahl_Windsong View Post
What bothers me is that it is reportable and they would probably do something about it if you did report it. I come from the original Ultima Online and PvPer's of modern MMO's have no idea what so ever about grief from other players...hahaha! I always find stuff like this so funny. In UO if I killed you I can take all your stuff with you standing there as a ghost and anything you type on the screen will be displayed as ghost speak...Ohoooo Ohooo...etc...Oh and if you happened to have your house key on you I can use it to gate to your house and loot it too...lol
People have been reporting it. To date, and to the best of anyone's knowledge, nothing has been done. No one from BW will respond in any way. They won't even answer the simple question....Is This Working As Intended? So we are left in the dark, and with posting on the forums in the hopes that just maybe it will get changed.

Yeah, UO. I was there pre-Trammel. It was the worst nightmare in gaming that I've ever experienced. I quit as did many, many others because of it. They finally wised up and changed it. The original concept was good on paper, but being the first real mmo, the devs had underestimated lengths some people would go to just to harrass, inconvenience, or otherwise torment other people.

A lot of game mechanics would be good, in an ideal world. Human nature, and especially the pvp mindset always ruins it and so rules have to be put in place to protect others.

Ansultares's Avatar


Ansultares
01.26.2012 , 05:56 PM | #544
Quote: Originally Posted by VarnieTsk View Post
So how would you like to pvp without being able to use all of your abilities?
BW already saw fit to that in their design of juggernauts; several of my abilities aren't useable on elite or stronger mobs, which includes other players. In such fights, I often find myself wasting GCDs just because several of my abilities are literally useless, while several others are extremely inefficient due to class mechanics, and that doesn't even include when I'm wasting GCDs because I need to save them for interrupts (at least that was improved).

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. Either the OP was being tremendously careless with their AOEs, or the system is broken. Being able to stealth, eat an AOE, and auto-flag an enemy on a PvE server sounds like an abuse of mechanics, and it's no surprise to me that it's being used to grief others.

Would that they could transfer the griefer to a PvP server; I bet he'd ragequit and cancel as soon as someone started griefing him.

Palathas's Avatar


Palathas
01.26.2012 , 05:59 PM | #545
People using game mechanics to PvP in this manner are contravening the Rules Of Conduct under the Harassment Policy:

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

Quote: Originally Posted by Harassment Policy
C. Harassment Policy

Our goal is to build a strong community that offers a comfortable atmosphere for all of our players. This means seeing that players have the ability to combat antisocial behavior

1. Harassment consists of misuse and/or abuse of game mechanics and verbal harassment with the intention of distressing and offending other players. Game mechanics allow players to interact with the world and each other. For example, the ability to block a doorway is a game mechanic. Use of game mechanics like these is by no means considered harassment in and of itself. The key to determining whether the mechanic is being misused or abused is to determine "intent." Reported incidents are not considered harassment until it is determined by the SWTOR CS that it was done to intentionally to cause distress or to offend other players.

2. Harassment is also any behavior that is incessant, inescapable, derogatory and directed specifically at you or your group. Before reporting, a genuine attempt to alleviate the situation should be made by leaving the area or the offending player, or asking them politely to stop. If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the behavior, it should be reported.

3. Behavior that is always considered harassment includes derogatory and/or hateful comments that are sexual, racist, religious, or related to gender or creed.

4. A judgment of valid harassment can result in penalties placed on the harassing party up to and including immediate account closure, based on the severity of harassment and the player's past account history.

5. Player versus Player (PvP) activities, where available, are not exempt from this policy.

Personally I have no love for Bunny Hunters and think they should be suspended, that's just my opinion though. I have no issue with PvP being on PvE severs but you should never be able to be flagged unless you actively flag yourself. If you aren't flagged then you shouldn't be able to interact with anyone else that is for any reason, if you want to heal or otherwise help an ally then you should actively flag yourself first.

mrcaptainpants's Avatar


mrcaptainpants
01.26.2012 , 06:02 PM | #546
Being forced into a PvP situation against your will on a PvE server should not happen.

Ever.

For any reason.

While I totally support PvP play and think it is a vital and beneficial style of gameplay for those that desire it, being able to trick someone into playing the game in a way that is fun for YOU but not for THEM is just wrong, no matter how you try to justify it.

Common sense.

Rahl_Windsong's Avatar


Rahl_Windsong
01.26.2012 , 06:04 PM | #547
Quote: Originally Posted by VarnieTsk View Post
People have been reporting it. To date, and to the best of anyone's knowledge, nothing has been done. No one from BW will respond in any way. They won't even answer the simple question....Is This Working As Intended? So we are left in the dark, and with posting on the forums in the hopes that just maybe it will get changed.

Yeah, UO. I was there pre-Trammel. It was the worst nightmare in gaming that I've ever experienced. I quit as did many, many others because of it. They finally wised up and changed it. The original concept was good on paper, but being the first real mmo, the devs had underestimated lengths some people would go to just to harrass, inconvenience, or otherwise torment other people.

A lot of game mechanics would be good, in an ideal world. Human nature, and especially the pvp mindset always ruins it and so rules have to be put in place to protect others.
Some of the best fun I have ever had in PvP was in UO and I was not a griefer I was a player who hunted griefer's and collected the bounty on them. Also in that game you could really RP, you could write in books and leave clues, you could have real murderer characters that were part of your RP community, real bad guys not just pretend ones.

You could go to a cave set up a camp with furniture, etc put a player there to play a part in a quest ...maybe they try to kill anyone who comes near, maybe they pass on some information if prodded for it...

I really do miss UO and the real feeling of my heart in my throat in PvP...not this boring "oh well I died" PvP that most MMO's have now.
Captain El'amber Level 48.5 Scoundrel
Cipher Agent El'ember Level 42 Operative
Lord El'zara Level 40 Sorceress

Cavegeta's Avatar


Cavegeta
01.26.2012 , 06:15 PM | #548
Been following this thread pretty closely and even made a post myself yesterday. The one thing I haven't seen was anyone who had my experience of being flagged after aiding a same faction character at lvl 13 or so (Lord Grathan area) on Dromund Kaas at the beginning of the game. Obviously, I wasn't ganked, but I was really mad at the time. I don't remember if it was the AoE or buff that I used on the player. At the time all I remember thinking was that I buffed him/her and got flagged for my efforts.

VarnieTsk's Avatar


VarnieTsk
01.26.2012 , 06:22 PM | #549
Quote: Originally Posted by Cavegeta View Post
Been following this thread pretty closely and even made a post myself yesterday. The one thing I haven't seen was anyone who had my experience of being flagged after aiding a same faction character at lvl 13 or so (Lord Grathan area) on Dromund Kaas at the beginning of the game. Obviously, I wasn't ganked, but I was really mad at the time. I don't remember if it was the AoE or buff that I used on the player. At the time all I remember thinking was that I buffed him/her and got flagged for my efforts.
Yeah, this is another aspect of the mechanic that's annoying but at least this is avoidable. Any time you buff or rez a flagged player, you get flagged too. Or if you group with a flagged player.

Edit: I take back the rez part being avoidable. You can't tell if a corpse is flagged or not. So just never rez anyone.

Palathas's Avatar


Palathas
01.26.2012 , 06:26 PM | #550
Has anyone tested to see if companion AoEs get you flagged as well?