Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

racsofp's Avatar


racsofp
01.23.2012 , 12:37 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post
Again distorting it to your liking. Ive said plenty of times now, that I do not agree with players tricking others to become pvp flagged.

However I see no reason to change the system to a point where everyone has to be flagged before you can even attack anyone.
Why? It would prevent people from tricking other people into fighting.

All that would be left would be PVP combat that was agreed to by both sides.
* Illegitimate casual gamer scum
* Those who can, do...those who can't, call everyone else baddies and demand crutches
Quote: Originally Posted by Brasherr View Post
I can't figure out rotations, or spells to use/not use because there is no target dummy, and there is no Recount.

daemian's Avatar


daemian
01.23.2012 , 12:40 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post
Sorry I disagree. But No, it does not need to be changed.
I'll ask again. Since you agree that it's unfair, and you personally don't use it to trick other players... why defend it?

HanoverFist's Avatar


HanoverFist
01.23.2012 , 12:41 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post

It is working as intended. Simple as that.

Please link where a DEV has stated this or it is not that simple.

FooBard's Avatar


FooBard
01.23.2012 , 12:44 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by BrigOrion View Post
This highlights just how little the TOR devs know what they are doing. PvP should not be an option of any kind on the PvE servers. Not even sparring or dueling. PvP should be 100% restricted to the servers dedicated to PvP.
Wow, I'm glad you're not in charge of stuff...

That is the most FAIL response in this whole thread.

_Darkstar's Avatar


_Darkstar
01.23.2012 , 12:51 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post
Some players wont, but it is your responsibility to watch out.
Not on a PvE server, the very action of picking that over a PvP server was because we do not want to 'watch out'.

Nevermind that you don't take into account that you can't 'watch out' for stealthed level 50's in the middle of the pack of level 30 mobs you are about to AoE.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

jimmybob's Avatar


jimmybob
01.23.2012 , 01:04 PM | #126
This kind of thing reallllllly ticks me off. PvE means PvE.

Felioats's Avatar


Felioats
01.23.2012 , 01:07 PM | #127
I hope they have seen and are working on a solution for this.

I like Rift's solution where there is an option in the settings that prevents you from even attacking another player intentionally. (to protect yourself from targeting mistakes)
>

Siorac's Avatar


Siorac
01.23.2012 , 01:18 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post
The red part is exactly where most forum goers in this topic fail. There understanding of reading Fails mostly, because they are blinded by there own point of view.

I'll say it again and you can vision me saying it directly in your face, close up and Very very slowly so you can understand all of it. I DO NOT AGREE WITH PLAYERS TRICKING YOU INTO COMBAT!

Shoudl they change it so that stealthed pvp flagged players cannot be targeted by aoe I guess so. However if I am standing there in plain sight, pvp flagged and you still use aoe around me. Thats your problem. Not mine.
Well, I want to be able to use my AoE without worrying about PvP. Because, and here's the big secret, I rolled on a PvE server so that I won't have to do PvP. Also, I thought I could use all my abilities no matter what other players do at the same time. Why should others be able to FORCE me to change my playstyle, to not use all of my attacks if I want to avoid PvP on a PvE server?

Surely you must see the fundamental problem here. This system is easily exploitable for griefing. Must be changed and soon.

MGriffith's Avatar


MGriffith
01.23.2012 , 01:33 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post
This is the way it works on pve servers. You used a Area of Effect attack and hit a pvp flagged enemy in the process. It wasn't the mob he attacked, no it was your attack hitting him. He tricked you, sure but in the end it is your fault. Simply should not have used a AOE.

The way it works on pve servers, in every MMO btw, is that You cannot become a pvp flagged person if you do not set yourself to it. However there are exceptions to that rule.

1) Entering a PvP area, were you become automatically flagged
2) Right clicking your avatar and setting the PvP flag on yourself.
3) Attacking an Enemy player that is PvP flagged.

You fall in catagory 3. Though luck.
And most respondants here agree that option 3 should not exist on a PvE server.

Unless Bioware really wants to create open world PvP even on their PvE servers. In which case I would like to know that for sure as it would have affected my decision to buy this game.

Aloro's Avatar


Aloro
01.23.2012 , 01:45 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Babyduck View Post
Sorry this happened to you but it teaches you a valuable lesson, don't use aoe attacks when standing around a PVP marked player of the opposite faction or that attack will hit them and instantly mark you for PVP. This is intended and by no means a exploit or griefing. Be aware of your surroundings and choose the appropriate attacks to not get marked.
Come on now. Let's be honest. It's very obviously an exploit, and very obviously being used to grief people.

Why is it an exploit? Because it's forcing people who do not wish to take part in PvP to become PvP flagged. It's taking away players' choice about how they play the game. This game has PvE servers for a reason; forcing someone else to PvP AGAINST THEIR WILL is an exploit, full stop.

How is it griefing? The whole point of this little endeavor is to kill a PvE player who didn't want to flag for PvP. That's a textbook example of griefing, really: one player is getting enjoyment from causing frustration for another player. The whole purpose of this exploit is to do something undesired and unexpected to the victim, with the explicit intention of lowering their enjoyment of the game. That's griefing. There's no way around it.

Finally, and most importantly, quite a few people have pointed out that stealth exists in this game. There is literally no way for even the most alert player to avoid being flagged in this way by a stealthed player. Moreover, this game is designed with the expectation that we'll fight groups of foes regularly. All classes have some AoEs for precisely this purpose. It's not necessarily possible to continue playing the game while avoiding all AoEs, and it's certainly not desirable. So "don't use your AoEs" isn't a solution at all.

What am I to do if some bored lvl 50 wants to flag himself and follow me around, standing in the middle of every group of foes? He doesn't have to be stealthed, to have an affect on me; if he just stands there, I can't attack without probably dying. I can't play the game the way I want to in this case. Is the burden on me to avoid him? I should, what, just stop playing? Don't use my AoEs and face the very real possibility that I can't continue with my quests as a result? Yeah, I don't think so. Those "solutions" are proposed solely by people who want to see the griefing continue.

So where does this leave us? There's an exploit being used to grief people, so the solution is simple: prevent the exploit. Someone who is not PvP flagged shouldn't be able to attack someone who is. It's that simple. If you want to be able to PvP on a PvE server, then set your flag first.