Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Catlana's Avatar


Catlana
01.23.2012 , 11:59 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Deyjarl View Post
I was working on the bonus series on Nar Shaddaa on my level 32 character at the time. The bonus quests that take you into the Shared area with Imperials. I think nothing of it, I'm not flagged.

Attack a group of mobs, and just as I'm about to do an AoE burst, a level 50 jump in tags one just before my AoE damage ticks flagging the mob to him, so when my damage hits, I'm flagged also.

I rolled on a PvE server to avoid stuff like this. I don't mind PvP, but I'm not interesting in Open World all the time. Most of my characters are on PvE servers, and that is what I expected, PvE unless I voluntarily decide to PvP. That did not occur here.

There is no PvP buff for it to balance it out some either.



Again I rolled on PvE server expecting not to have to deal with this. That is what the PvE and PvP server difference was for. But seems there are some ways to exploit that.
Players on pve servers should never get flagged unless they want to be. That is after all the purpose of a pve server. Bioware should fix this.

Zorvan's Avatar


Zorvan
01.23.2012 , 12:00 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post
Do you even read my posts? Im guessing not otherwise you would have known that I do agree the tricking is unfair.

I am defending it, because its a good system. If I flag myself for pvp, while running around in PvE zones, that opens me up for Confrontational combat. allowing players to attack me.
It does not matter to me, if you attack me willingly or not. I do most of the time look at your level. If you are 10+ levels below me, i will assume it was an accident and leave you be.

Some players wont, but it is your responsibility to watch out.
And there's the truth of it, you don't care because the system works for you. You get to PvP whether the other person intends to PvP or not. Nice slip up, Freud.
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Do yourself a favor and just use the money to buy a pizza instead.

Syrellaris's Avatar


Syrellaris
01.23.2012 , 12:01 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Reldun View Post
Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full. It is NOT the players responsibility to be aware and to be careful of what abilities they use so some nutswab doesn't gank them. Choosing to play on a PvE server... check... choosing not to flag yourself for PvP... check... those are the players responsibilities... some e-peen running into your AoE because he is 20 levels higher than you falls outside the realm of what the PvE'r should have to take into consideration. It's a bug that people are exploiting to grief other players. It is by no means "working as intended".
It is not a bug, it is working as intended. Again, a pve server does not mean it is free from pvp. It means you cannot be attacked at anytime. Which is working as intended. In 99% of the cases you can quest fully without worry.

If I play on a pve server (which I do) and I decide to pvp I should be able to do that all over the world. Not just the designated zones or instances. That is what the pvp flagging option is for. If I flag myself. Players can attack me if they so desire. Those that are unflagged, I can still not attack.

However if they attack me, whether this is intentional or not, is there problem. Not mine. Why should my play style differ cuz you dont want to be attacked or responsible for your own actions?

It is working as intended. Simple as that.

btw, some players will do it to grief but those are by far the minority. Just deal with it and move on.
Syrel Je'Gal
▬▬▬▬▬
HandsofDarkness▬▬▬▬▬
"Capture By Design, Kill By Necessity."
The Hands of Darkness: the first SW:TOR EU based Sith RP Guild

racsofp's Avatar


racsofp
01.23.2012 , 12:01 PM | #104
I play on a PVP server. I joined a PVP server because I like the idea that at any moment someone (or someoneSSSSS) can jump out of nowhere while I'm busy teaching rogue imperial droids who's boss and blast me into dirt if I'm not paying attention.

It's fun always having to be on your toes. It's fun catching other people napping and killing them then vanishing into thin air.

That said, I don't understand how anyone can defend level 50's on a PVE server tricking level 32's into fighting. Seems kinda pathetic to me. Definitely not working as intended. If the stated goal of a PVE server was "to find ways to complete quests without being tricked into PVP against vastly overlevelled players" then I would agree it was working as intended, but since that's not the goal, this is broken (and still pathetic).
* Illegitimate casual gamer scum
* Those who can, do...those who can't, call everyone else baddies and demand crutches
Quote: Originally Posted by Brasherr View Post
I can't figure out rotations, or spells to use/not use because there is no target dummy, and there is no Recount.

Syrellaris's Avatar


Syrellaris
01.23.2012 , 12:03 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
And there's the truth of it, you don't care because the system works for you. You get to PvP whether the other person intends to PvP or not. Nice slip up, Freud.
Why don't you read the sentence that comes after it, instead of distorting the truth to your liking.
Syrel Je'Gal
▬▬▬▬▬
HandsofDarkness▬▬▬▬▬
"Capture By Design, Kill By Necessity."
The Hands of Darkness: the first SW:TOR EU based Sith RP Guild

Aleutius's Avatar


Aleutius
01.23.2012 , 12:03 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Deyjarl View Post
I was working on the bonus series on Nar Shaddaa on my level 32 character at the time. The bonus quests that take you into the Shared area with Imperials. I think nothing of it, I'm not flagged.

Attack a group of mobs, and just as I'm about to do an AoE burst, a level 50 jump in tags one just before my AoE damage ticks flagging the mob to him, so when my damage hits, I'm flagged also.

I rolled on a PvE server to avoid stuff like this. I don't mind PvP, but I'm not interesting in Open World all the time. Most of my characters are on PvE servers, and that is what I expected, PvE unless I voluntarily decide to PvP. That did not occur here.

There is no PvP buff for it to balance it out some either.



Again I rolled on PvE server expecting not to have to deal with this. That is what the PvE and PvP server difference was for. But seems there are some ways to exploit that.
They should just put in hard pvp level caps between players and be done with it, especially on pve servers. There is no reason whatsoever that a level 30 should be attacking a level 50. Block level 50's from attacking anyone under 40-45 and so on. This has been done in other mmos and works just fine (griefers spare us your sad excuses of why 50's should be able to gank lowbies in pve).

Kourage's Avatar


Kourage
01.23.2012 , 12:04 PM | #107
This must be fixed. There are too many stealth classes who can simply sneak into your group of mobs to flag you.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Omaddon's Avatar


Omaddon
01.23.2012 , 12:12 PM | #108
Quote:
I agree even being a pvp player , really if it was on a pvp server i would say grow balls , but those that chose a pve server for not wanting this kind of fight should not have it.
I understand that some want to PvP. I do not. Not because it is too hard, no. But because it would require me more time than I can dedicate to a game right now. As all know, PvP requires a completely different set of skills than PvE.

That being said, if I chose a PvE server to play on, it clearly means that I do not want to PvP. Buffing someone who is and being flagged as PvP for 5 minutes is not new, another game does it. But, PvP should be a matter of choice and should not be imposed.

However, denying this PvP player a part of his fun by making these servers EXCLUSIVELY PvE would be just as unfair, I think, especially if he has one or 2 level 50 characters.

In my opinion, a possible solution would be that if you attack an obviously inferior target, (like attacking a level 35 when you are level 50), you should then lose "honor" as it was. How much would depend of the amount of levels separating the 2 opponents.

Seeing their hard earned PvP points disappear will be far more painful and a good deterrent. This is also logical. If I, an adult experienced in boxing, beats the crap out of a guy with no knowledge and who is out of shape, I should not expect to be congratulated for winning the fight. There is no honor is defeating an obviously inferior opponent, and as such, I should lose some.
Quote:
Where ever you go, there you are!

LogicalPremise's Avatar


LogicalPremise
01.23.2012 , 12:12 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post
It is not a bug, it is working as intended. Again, a pve server does not mean it is free from pvp. It means you cannot be attacked at anytime. Which is working as intended. In 99% of the cases you can quest fully without worry.

If I play on a pve server (which I do) and I decide to pvp I should be able to do that all over the world. Not just the designated zones or instances. That is what the pvp flagging option is for. If I flag myself. Players can attack me if they so desire. Those that are unflagged, I can still not attack.

However if they attack me, whether this is intentional or not, is there problem. Not mine. Why should my play style differ cuz you dont want to be attacked or responsible for your own actions?

It is working as intended. Simple as that.

btw, some players will do it to grief but those are by far the minority. Just deal with it and move on.
So, instead of having a system where in order to pvp you have to right click and flag yourself, you prefer a system where you can inadvertently get drawn into PvP by stealthed toons even if you don't want to, and you defend this based on play style?

Sorry, can't take you seriously. You can PVP all you like. You can flag yourself for PvP all you like. You can do it whereever you like. Because that is your fun. But the moment you say "if they attack me" when you have situations where the PvE person CANNOT KNOW they are attacking you, then your argument fails.

If some moron runs up to you blasting away when he's level 23 and you're level 50 and he's flagged himself for PvP, blow him away, we're all fine. But when someone is AoEing trash mobs , there should be NO WAY for that person to be forced into PVP.

Unless you can defend the results and the fact that it can be exploited and show why the current system is better for the majority of players, then I'm sorry, but the only reason you would defend this is that you're a griefer yourself.
Majynn, L55 Sorc - The Society - Harbinger
Garadan, L55 Jugg- Dark Void - Harbinger
Vongrath, L35 Op- Dark Void - Harbinger

Syrellaris's Avatar


Syrellaris
01.23.2012 , 12:15 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by LogicalPremise View Post
So, instead of having a system where in order to pvp you have to right click and flag yourself, you prefer a system where you can inadvertently get drawn into PvP by stealthed toons even if you don't want to, and you defend this based on play style?

Sorry, can't take you seriously. You can PVP all you like. You can flag yourself for PvP all you like. You can do it whereever you like. Because that is your fun. But the moment you say "if they attack me" when you have situations where the PvE person CANNOT KNOW they are attacking you, then your argument fails.

If some moron runs up to you blasting away when he's level 23 and you're level 50 and he's flagged himself for PvP, blow him away, we're all fine. But when someone is AoEing trash mobs , there should be NO WAY for that person to be forced into PVP.

Unless you can defend the results and the fact that it can be exploited and show why the current system is better for the majority of players, then I'm sorry, but the only reason you would defend this is that you're a griefer yourself.
The red part is exactly where most forum goers in this topic fail. There understanding of reading Fails mostly, because they are blinded by there own point of view.

I'll say it again and you can vision me saying it directly in your face, close up and Very very slowly so you can understand all of it. I DO NOT AGREE WITH PLAYERS TRICKING YOU INTO COMBAT!

Shoudl they change it so that stealthed pvp flagged players cannot be targeted by aoe I guess so. However if I am standing there in plain sight, pvp flagged and you still use aoe around me. Thats your problem. Not mine.
Syrel Je'Gal
▬▬▬▬▬
HandsofDarkness▬▬▬▬▬
"Capture By Design, Kill By Necessity."
The Hands of Darkness: the first SW:TOR EU based Sith RP Guild