Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone Else Miffed @ GameStop? Pre-Orders w/o Codes...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Anyone Else Miffed @ GameStop? Pre-Orders w/o Codes...

ynnen
12.14.2011 , 07:25 AM | #1
I pre-ordered the CE back in August from my local GameStop. I like supporting my local store, and they've got great people and generally great service. Their console midnight releases always run silky smooth, and the staff there know me. And in general, for a retail outlet, I trust them.

But boy, was I frustrated with how they handled the SWTOR pre-orders. Even though I pre-ordered in August, I didn't receive a pre-order registration code until October. I didn't even realize I was supposed to get one for a week or so after my pre-order. So I called -- they said they didn't get the codes from corporate, but they'd check. Ok, so a week goes by and I call again -- still don't have them.

Over the next few weeks, I'd stop by or call two to three times each week about it. Finally I was told that all the codes would be sent out in October. Well, all fine and good, I supposed, until I then read about how the codes were tied to the early access... By this time, it was far too late to do anything about.

So I'm far less miffed at BioWare for their staggered rolling entries into EGA than I am with GameStop for holding back those pre-order registration codes! And I wasn't the only one -- several of my co-workers and friends who also pre-ordered through GameStop had the same issue, and none of us got our codes until October.

Anyone else out there run into the same issue with GameStop? Was it just my location or region (Twin Cities, MN), or was this a bigger deal across the whole company?

If life is a game... I need new dice

Evilspock
12.14.2011 , 07:28 AM | #2
Well...I am miffed I didn't get a pre-order code at all. I called in September and they said they were OUT of codes and suggested I call BioWare/EA who in turn said I needed to work with GameStop. So, yeah I am miffed. Then when others said they started getting codes again, I decided it simply wasn't worth the hassle. So... Never pre-ordering anything from GameStop again.

Thecrypt
12.14.2011 , 12:42 PM | #3
i ordered on July 22 and still haven't got one but i changed my order and went with steam so got one on December 11

Daemiun
12.14.2011 , 12:44 PM | #4
i actually had the same problem...one of the little bastards at gamestop tried to not give me my ega code telling me they didnt have anymore. So i called my brother who is an assistant manager at one in georgia and he said they have "ran" out. So i went back up there like 2 hours after and cussed him out and told him he was an idiot give me my code. He did and i walked away and told him he was a loser. I felt alot better cause i got my code from that little *****. Still mad at him!

Garandil
12.14.2011 , 12:50 PM | #5
I'll keep this short...

It's gamestop, what do you expect? LoL

onanonehand
12.14.2011 , 12:50 PM | #6
Same problem here. I ordered the CE from gamestop the latter part of sept. I figured they would send me some kind of code for early game access.

Frequenting the forums, I noticed others had received their codes from other vendors. I emailed gamestop and was told there were no more early access codes. At the same time Walmart was offering the CE with early access. I placed an order with Walmart and cancelled my gamestop order. But sadly I did not receive the code from Walmart until the first days of Nov.

So yeah I am miffed if you supplant the m with a p and the f's with s's. gamestop will be awfully frosty before they see another dime from me. All in all they have always sucked.

dexterryu
12.14.2011 , 12:52 PM | #7
I pre-ordered mine from Gamestop in mid-august. Noticed that I didn't have a pre-order code and when I spoke with them they couldn't answer me so I cancelled.

I ordered it from Origin on 9/18 and got in today, which probably is the same day as I'd have gotten in had I pre-ordered from Origin in August.

Shadyne
12.14.2011 , 12:53 PM | #8
Agreed. I like going to Gamestop the people are friendly and helpful, and seem to really like games.

But I have had nothing but problems with them when ordering any sort of preorder promotion thing. So if i can walk in and buy it, i do it at Gamestop. If i am going to preorder..heck no.

Quraswren
12.14.2011 , 12:55 PM | #9
Not at all.

I ordered on July 21 at noon. Had the code entered roughly 30 min's later for the CE.

So far, Gamestop has been great.

The only way they could mess it up at this point is if they didn't have the CE ready come Dec. 20.

But to be honest, I think it will go just as smooth. So far never had a problem with Gamestop or midnight releases.
Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
What you get: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Ziegler
12.14.2011 , 01:17 PM | #10
Just your store.

On July 21, I ordered from GS online, didnt get my email by the end of that day.
Went to my local GS in town, ordered it from them, paid in full, and they gave me an extra reciept with the pre-order code.

Here is the thing though, most stores didnt know about the second reciept, only the manager did, because they had to print off that second reciept or put in something. I know the manager had to come over and key something in and it printed right off.

But again, the managers were the only ones aware of this, and they were notifed by email if I recall reading the forums correctly.

Never did get a pre-order code from the online one. (well I cancled it that evening after I had registered my pre-order code and confirmed it on the website)

Gotta be careful about gamestops, they vary widely and PC games make up single digit sales percentages for them over all, so not exactly a priority for them.
In the dusts of hell Lurked the blackest of hates, For he who eats fear awaits you
EALouse was right.