Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Sinigual
01.17.2012 , 09:36 PM | #521
Thanks Xcore.

Xcore
01.17.2012 , 09:39 PM | #522
It is a lot of footage to render and I will do so tonight, tomorrow then I'd record the narration and put it all together if all goes well and I hate to give an "eta" but lets hope for the best.

As I said, I hope to cover and basically define this "feeling" of "sluggishness", "character has stick in ***", "slow response", "ability not firing", "clunky" etc etc.

I think if Bioware/Developers really understand this "feeling" and why everyone always goes back to WoW... it will lead to a better gameplay, tighter controls and overall more competitive and rewarding experience as well as better endgame pve and pvp interaction.

What I will absolutely mention in the video is the Riposte (and other skills) Animations repeating and not executing but there will not be any video exactly showcasing it. I think its easy enough though to find on youtube etc.

I think something like that is much easier understood... but what I am trying to convey in this thread and many of us are "feeling" is much harder to really convey and explain, I hope the video and my narration will do the trick.
Followed SW:TOR since 2008...
Played since Early Access
Quit in Feb. 2012
Resubscribed in Feb. 2013 - Currently Evaluating...

cschwartzy
01.17.2012 , 09:48 PM | #523
Thanks for all the hard work. Playing a Marauder this is becoming almost game breaking and making me not want to play him even though I love the playstyle and the class. The problem seems to be getting worse or maybe I am just paying attention to it a little more.

I really hope this is addressed soon.

Xcore
01.17.2012 , 09:59 PM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by cschwartzy View Post
Thanks for all the hard work. Playing a Marauder this is becoming almost game breaking and making me not want to play him even though I love the playstyle and the class. The problem seems to be getting worse or maybe I am just paying attention to it a little more.

I really hope this is addressed soon.
I think its more perceivable in laggy conditions but also its a lot worse once you are aware of it... you notice it more and more to the point that the game is unplayable or rather not as enjoyable. Likely because you "know" whats bugging you but you can't do anything about it AND if only it was fixed/not there you know you'd have the time of your "gaming life" so to speak...

I don't think it has "actually" gotten worse or better... I notice it just as much as two weeks ago etc.

I feel your pain as melee, I think ranged (Gunslinger/Sniper) have it just as bad or perhaps worse in certain ways BUT it is not as punishing as on Melee... you see in my preview video the movement around dummies while executing a rotation/abilities (simulating boss fight/pvp)? That is why its much more punishing on Melee... you have to factor in a lot more movement + delay = zomgbbqwtf...

Ranged, its noticeable, is a b*** but at least you can "somewhat" get by...
Followed SW:TOR since 2008...
Played since Early Access
Quit in Feb. 2012
Resubscribed in Feb. 2013 - Currently Evaluating...

LaManoNera
01.17.2012 , 10:05 PM | #525
This is also the main reason I won't be re-subbing. Not to preach doom and gloom, but I can't find myself paying real money for something that doesn't work properly. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.
♥ Love ♥
Definition: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Vlakmir
01.17.2012 , 10:07 PM | #526
Has anyone tried this?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=187454

Sorry, didnt bother reading 500 replies.

Maybe it will help a bit?

JonnyBigBoss
01.17.2012 , 10:26 PM | #527
Still an issue. I have 45 minutes left on my subscription. I guess I'll never see what it's like "fixed".

JonnyBigBoss
01.17.2012 , 10:28 PM | #528
Quote: Originally Posted by Kerkat View Post
This is the last day of my play/forum time before my initial 30 day sub ends.

I won't be waiting this out, hoping for a fix. I used all that patient waiting time in WAR and it didn't get me a thing. It got worse.

Others have pointed out that this issue is serious and will take a long time to fix. Right now, the company is waiting to see if enough people can ignore it and stick with the game. If so, then they won't have to dedicate time to changing it.

I say good luck to them and all the best.
Nice to see that I'm not alone. I went through this exact same process with WAR. Speaking of which, this game reminds me a lot of WAR in terms of combat feeling a bit off and performance being less than great...

Elkard
01.17.2012 , 11:00 PM | #529
Playing on a WiFi connection--when weather is fine and connection bars full, no problems. The action is smooth and fluid and everything works perfectly as buttons are pushed. No delay and yes I swap targets and hit actions seamlessly. Bad connection, duh, 1-2 second delay. But it's not due to the game itself. Exactly the same performance in WoW and every other game since SWG. There might be some issues, but I have played every class and every problem I have experienced--except the bars locking and not being able to select skills--have had to do with my internet connection. You see the exact same complaints and reasoning--if you can call it that--on the WoW boards all the time. What amazes me--not really--is that for three years people here said this would be epic etc., and it was on day two of early access when the whining started. The same whining and crying I saw on forums back in 2003 when people were complaining the game didn't have mounts. Well, we got them, and more...then, thanks to the whiners, we got the terrible CU (combat downgrade) that is all the MMO rage now. SW:Tor is fine. Maybe it's all the dingo's fault.

Vallowen
01.18.2012 , 12:15 AM | #530
Quote: Originally Posted by Elkard View Post
Playing on a WiFi connection--when weather is fine and connection bars full, no problems. The action is smooth and fluid and everything works perfectly as buttons are pushed. No delay and yes I swap targets and hit actions seamlessly. Bad connection, duh, 1-2 second delay. But it's not due to the game itself. Exactly the same performance in WoW and every other game since SWG. There might be some issues, but I have played every class and every problem I have experienced--except the bars locking and not being able to select skills--have had to do with my internet connection. You see the exact same complaints and reasoning--if you can call it that--on the WoW boards all the time. What amazes me--not really--is that for three years people here said this would be epic etc., and it was on day two of early access when the whining started. The same whining and crying I saw on forums back in 2003 when people were complaining the game didn't have mounts. Well, we got them, and more...then, thanks to the whiners, we got the terrible CU (combat downgrade) that is all the MMO rage now. SW:Tor is fine. Maybe it's all the dingo's fault.
step to the side and then IMMEDIATELY start casting a heal. only press it ONCE. i'm not talking about a .5sec gap between you releasing your strafe key and hitting the heal key, i'm talking about a .1sec or less gap. if the heal does not register and/or start casting, theres a problem.

click/press your mount button, as soon as the cast hits the end of the bar, start moving. does the mount despawn? yes.

stand completely still and spam a 1.5sec or greater no CD cast. something like a big heal. does the cast bar disappear in between casts? yes. the cast bar should be permanently up, and the INSTANT one cast finishes the next begins.

its not lag. its got nothing to do with connection

its so disappointing that they threw so much money at paying voice actors, and completely neglected the fundamental mechanic that the entire game, and all MMOs, is/are based on.

as other have said, its possible to work around it while questing or other casual play. but the minute you want to actually play some hardcore, competitive content it becomes a massive restriction.

i really hope they manage to fix this. the game shouldnt have been released in this state, as i believe they will lose many, many customers who are not prepared to wait around for a fix.