Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

oflow
01.17.2012 , 05:39 PM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by gangbot View Post
I have come across a possible work-around which is very annoying but abilities do work.

In a PVP match i was fed up with a defensive cooldown not working, so what i did was stand motionless in 1 position and pressed my defensive cooldown numerous times just testing when it would actually work. My teammates were killing my target and as soon as my target died (so i was not targeting him anymore), the ability worked on the next press.

My next fight there were about 3-4 empire players near me, guess what my taunt and defensive abilities weren't working, force sweap made me bounce up and down etc etc... tapping on these buttons i hit TAB and switch target, as soon as i switched target on the next press my defensive cooldown worked 1st press... also tested with every other ability i hate using and they all seem to work on the first press after i change my target.

I hope the fix comes soon.

Ya its also something to so with the targetting in the game. When i first started experiencing this issue back at launch I was still leveling my sentinel and I went looking for ways to fix the issue.

I found a post by a player that made this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahGfxaLY7s

And basically his original solution was to right click before activating the ability. I also also tried this and it worked so at the time it almost seemed like activating an ability off the gcd followed by an instant was causing the game to think you had lost your target even though you still had a recticle on your target which is why right clicking before activating the ability made the issue stop happening it was 're-targetting' before activating the ability.

Since then the creator of this video says he isnt experiencing the issue anymore and I actually shelved my sentinel because it was too frustrating to play.

I'm still experiencing the issue on my Guardian though, but I do believe the crappy targetting in this game has something to do with it as well. Or the targetting is just terrible because the clients are so out of sync that tabbing to nearest target doesnt happen because you are actually farther away that the client-servers think you are.

Overall, it sucks and I think they've waited too long to fix the issue ppl are already starting to leave the game because of the bad responsiveness of the UI combined with the buggy end-game.

I think they shot themselves in the foot by not being more open with their community. A lot of people really want to like this game and probably would be willing to support it thru this debacle if they got some honest feedback.

But people have been complaining about this issue for a long time even in beta, just like people complained about the raid frames not working and BW wouldnt even acknowledge it. It took them 6 maxed threads on this topic to even make an official response.

edit: Oh yea, I also believe they left the combat log out of the game on purpose because they knew this issue was happening and with a combat log you could actually show abilities not doing anything.
<Founder>

Putok
01.17.2012 , 05:39 PM | #502
I've been playing my Jugg alt a good bit lately, and words cannot describe how horrible combat can be on that character. I didn't realize it was THAT bad for SW/JKs. The problems my assassin has are absolutely nothing by comparison. Having to mash an ability half a dozen times to get it to go off (after having it stutter and play half the animation the first few times), having retaliation eat other abilities or vice versa, having things delayed for multiple GCDs, having the GCD reset partway through an action, etc.

Combat is so incredibly sloppy on my Juggernaut that it's actually kinda mindblowing that the game launched in such a state. Now I understand why some people were complaining so much. My assassin isn't THAT bad. My juggernaut is THAT bad and WORSE.

Lordadamar
01.17.2012 , 05:39 PM | #503
This is extremely Painful with a Sith Assassin the ability response delay with 90% of my offensive moves and on my rear attacks almost certainly = death...

Its not Lag of FPS its a server side problem with hit detection and no reason why and zone with 16 people should have lag...

I also can watch my toon refuse complete certain abilities in PVP BG's only doesnt happen in open world.... I can only say it frustrating... and almost has equal /ragequit several times...

monjiay
01.17.2012 , 05:44 PM | #504
I really want this game to succeed, but I'm afraid the only way is to vote with my wallet and if enough people do that I'm guessing the problem will be solved sooner rather than later.

I'll be watching the boards to see when and if there is a solution to this problem.

adios.

LordStark
01.17.2012 , 05:44 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by Vargrir View Post
Bump, this must be fixed soon.
Agree with you
SWTOR Failed = Free 2 Play
Vertrauen in BIoWare = 0%
Ende im gelšnde = 28.06

Kerkat
01.17.2012 , 07:09 PM | #506
This is the last day of my play/forum time before my initial 30 day sub ends.

I won't be waiting this out, hoping for a fix. I used all that patient waiting time in WAR and it didn't get me a thing. It got worse.

Others have pointed out that this issue is serious and will take a long time to fix. Right now, the company is waiting to see if enough people can ignore it and stick with the game. If so, then they won't have to dedicate time to changing it.

I say good luck to them and all the best.

iResist
01.17.2012 , 07:12 PM | #507
I honestly think the ability delay only happens with certain abilities in this game.

Like my Sorcerer and Bounty hunter have no delay whatsoever, but I have seen youtube videos of other people having a delay.

Clockworks
01.17.2012 , 07:13 PM | #508
Bump, this game is doomed if this isn't at the top of BioWare's list. Shouldn't have ever made it to release with this ****.

GreymaneAlpha
01.17.2012 , 07:14 PM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by Putok View Post
I've been playing my Jugg alt a good bit lately, and words cannot describe how horrible combat can be on that character. I didn't realize it was THAT bad for SW/JKs. The problems my assassin has are absolutely nothing by comparison. Having to mash an ability half a dozen times to get it to go off (after having it stutter and play half the animation the first few times), having retaliation eat other abilities or vice versa, having things delayed for multiple GCDs, having the GCD reset partway through an action, etc.

Combat is so incredibly sloppy on my Juggernaut that it's actually kinda mindblowing that the game launched in such a state. Now I understand why some people were complaining so much. My assassin isn't THAT bad. My juggernaut is THAT bad and WORSE.
The stutter-casting you describe is super noticable on channeled spells like Telekenitic Throw (pebbles). I swear half the time I hit that ability it doesn't go off, and half the time I try to chain an instant cast after Telekenitic Throw THAT ability doesn't go off.

And for what? So that I can see an animation of my sage lowering his left hand so that the pebbles stop flying, half a second after the channel is complete?

Pathetic.

Sarfux
01.17.2012 , 07:15 PM | #510
I'm still not getting what people are saying by ability delay and responsiveness.... what do you mean by "ability delay" all you do is start your next ability when the previous one is ALMOST done and it goes auto... that's what I do anyway..

I have never EVER had a problem with anything even close to that... maybe I'm just one of the luckies I guess
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System