Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Corwingeorge
01.23.2012 , 05:34 PM | #1031
Quote: Originally Posted by fredspekvet View Post
You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

Firstly, you're comparing a MMO to *private servers*... Most people will stop reading there, but ok.

WoW had these issues as well, in the beginning. and possibly even worse. not to mention constant server failure or downtime (which could easily take HOURS to fix) , lagspikes, dc's and game instability. it has severe issues with ATI based videocards. it had sound issues with some onboard chipsets. it had massive graphics stuttering. it had (and still has, to some respect) exactly the same stuff TOR has right now - only difference is that Bioware actually seems to care, and is , from what I can tell , actually doing something to fix those issues. Blizzard took months for this. if not a year or more.
lol no

Bomp
01.23.2012 , 05:39 PM | #1032
Quote: Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
People love viewing WoW through rose-tinted glasses. They forget just how poorly that game played for the first 3 years compared to how it plays now. The lag and 'ability delay' in that game were horrible at first. Contrary to popular belief, you did NOT have the responsiveness you have today.

I'm not defending the current issue in TOR. Rather, just trying to debunk the myth that WoW's responsiveness has been smooth since it's launch.
I have my own personal PVP videos from back in 2005 of my rogue, at 60 in vanilla WoW. 5 months after launch. I don't know what 'lag' and 'ability delay' you are talking about.. let alone 3 years of it.

Lakaiiiiiii
01.23.2012 , 05:53 PM | #1033
Quote: Originally Posted by CupieFoxtail View Post
WoW combat, lol
My elemental shaman's one gap opener won't work half the time, because the enemy players get snagged on pebbles and won't get knocked any further back
The Z-axis mechanics are so buggy that the only "balance" they put the game around is in a box with completely flat surfaces and a few perfectly smooth ramps
I think you need to go back and read Xcores original posts and watch every video because you clearly do not understand what the issue in TOR is and how its being compared to WoW.

"enemy players get snagged on pebbles"?
"The Z-axis mechanics are so buggy"?

How does any of what you just typed have any resemblance to what is being discussed as TOR ability/delay???

CupieFoxtail
01.23.2012 , 05:55 PM | #1034
Quote: Originally Posted by Lakaiiiiiii View Post
How does any of what you just typed have any resemblance to what is being discussed as TOR ability/delay???
I hit Thunderstorm
It doesn't work

Xcore
01.23.2012 , 06:54 PM | #1035
Quote: Originally Posted by fredspekvet View Post
You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

Firstly, you're comparing a MMO to *private servers*... Most people will stop reading there, but ok.

WoW had these issues as well, in the beginning. and possibly even worse. not to mention constant server failure or downtime (which could easily take HOURS to fix) , lagspikes, dc's and game instability. it has severe issues with ATI based videocards. it had sound issues with some onboard chipsets. it had massive graphics stuttering. it had (and still has, to some respect) exactly the same stuff TOR has right now - only difference is that Bioware actually seems to care, and is , from what I can tell , actually doing something to fix those issues. Blizzard took months for this. if not a year or more.
Everything in RED is WRONG, DEAD WRONG... don't post here again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Everything in YELLOW is IRRELEVANT.

Xcore
01.23.2012 , 06:56 PM | #1036
Quote: Originally Posted by CupieFoxtail View Post
I hit Thunderstorm
It doesn't work
No, how can you be this dense...

Thunderstorm DOES WORK. However, the crappy limitations (Z Axis) prevents you from being happy with its results... much like Mages trying to blink over a pebble...

How can you be so dense as to bring this to the discussion, it is completely off topic and irrelevant... you have no understanding of the topic... AT ALL.

Starglide
01.23.2012 , 08:02 PM | #1037
Quote: Originally Posted by Xcore View Post
No, how can you be this dense...

Thunderstorm DOES WORK. However, the crappy limitations (Z Axis) prevents you from being happy with its results... much like Mages trying to blink over a pebble...

How can you be so dense as to bring this to the discussion, it is completely off topic and irrelevant... you have no understanding of the topic... AT ALL.
Don't feed him.

Quote: Originally Posted by Psycomas View Post
Like many others have stated, I'm just a newb player. I don't understand the ins and outs of how things work or why. I just know that when I hit a button, something is supposed to happen.

I fell in love with this game from the moment I logged into the beta over Thanksgiving weekend and went so far as to preorder the day before early access in the hopes that I'd get even one hour's worth of early play. I cancelled my WOW scrip because like so many others, for me that game has run its course. But I love the fact that I can pay as little as $15 a month for something that is consistently enjoyable just about any time I feel the itch to log in and play.

I accept the fact that, even though my computer is a fairly good system that is less than a year old, I need to upgrade my graphics card and more than likely power supply in order to get more than 15-20 fps. I accept the fact that I have to turn all my graphics down to their lowest setting and switch shadows completely off so that I'm not playing through a slide show. I cannot afford to buy a monster system in order to have more fps than my visual cortex can noticeably process. I accept all these things because for me, this game is fun. I'm having fun playing again. After a couple years of going through the motions in an online environment, I'm once again immersed into a story that I'm interested in the outcome of.

That was, until the release of patch 1.1. Until that time, I had no issues with delays of any kind. Granted, I haven't done tons of pvp and I don't do alot of raiding or endgame. 99% of my play is solo through storyline and planetary leveling. But from the moment this patch went live last week, this game has been virtually unplayable. I am dying to mobs that I normally wouldn't break a sweat to simply because none of the 3 or 4 interrupts I can cast (most of which are supposed to be instants) actually go off. My first month's scrip has already been charged to my cc. Therefore I'm not going to invoke my drama queen status for at least the next 30 days. I will wait and see if they fix this. But if they don't, I'll chalk up my $75 investment to a Christmas present that I was able to get a couple months of enjoyment out of and cut my losses. Like many of us in today's economy, I cannot afford to continue to sink any amount of money every month into a game that is for all intents and purposes unplayable while I wait around and see if they'll fix the issues that their rush to release new content has brought about.

Please focus all your efforts on fixing this issue instead of trying to develop anything new. Regardless of how many new flashpoints you put in or shiny new gear you bestow, if we cannot make it through existing content, why would we care about new?
Incredibly written post that provides excellent insight into a casuals perspective regarding this matter.

Generaleestoned
01.23.2012 , 09:15 PM | #1038
ok people freaking out,goto prefrences,controls,ability delay q and change it from the set.5 to 0. jeeez

getdownsb
01.23.2012 , 09:22 PM | #1039
Quote: Originally Posted by Generaleestoned View Post
ok people freaking out,goto prefrences,controls,ability delay q and change it from the set.5 to 0. jeeez
Nice try, but wrong.
Rincon
Helm of Graush

benchpress
01.23.2012 , 09:23 PM | #1040
Quote: Originally Posted by Generaleestoned View Post
lol...