Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Vaedyn
01.23.2012 , 03:39 PM | #1021
Quote: Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
People love viewing WoW through rose-tinted glasses. They forget just how poorly that game played for the first 3 years compared to how it plays now. The lag and 'ability delay' in that game were horrible at first. Contrary to popular belief, you did NOT have the responsiveness you have today.

I'm not defending the current issue in TOR. Rather, just trying to debunk the myth that WoW's responsiveness has been smooth since it's launch.
The problem with that argument is that if you do compare more recently launched games: Aion, Rift, Warhammer, they do not have responsiveness problems. MMO's have moved on since WoW's launch, but its a serious problem that TOR still feels like its from WoW's era and not from the list of modern MMO's.

Xcore
01.23.2012 , 03:39 PM | #1022
People love viewing WoW through rose-tinted glasses. They forget just how poorly that game played for the first 3 years compared to how it plays now. The lag and 'ability delay' in that game were horrible at first. Contrary to popular belief, you did NOT have the responsiveness you have today.

I'm not defending the current issue in TOR. Rather, just trying to debunk the myth that WoW's responsiveness has been smooth since it's launch.
This is false and I hope does not confuse those not up to speed... I don't have the energy to go into great lengths and detail to explain this to you. The statement that WoW at any point in time was not responsive in combat is simply wrong and claiming anything like this is a blatant lie.

inb4 getting stuck looting...
Followed SW:TOR since 2008...
Played since Early Access
Quit in Feb. 2012
Resubscribed in Feb. 2013 - Currently Evaluating...

Starglide
01.23.2012 , 03:41 PM | #1023
Quote: Originally Posted by Sundragon View Post
Well, I thought I'd chime in.

I've played most MMOs released since 2000. I'm a very competitive PvP player and I currently have Valor rank 60 on my Sorc in this game. I'm Madness spec and all of my spells are insta-cast except Force Lightning (an instant-channel spell). The 2 non-instant spells I use I wait until Wrath procs, which makes them insta-cast. So other than the global cool down (GCD), everything should fire when pressed. I routinely find that spells do not fire when pressed, especially Crushing Darkness benefiting from Wrath.

During PvP matches, I would say 25-50% of my Crushing Darkness spells benefiting from Wrath (which makes it instant-cast) do not fire. The button is not grayed out on GCD or out of range, and I just hit the target with Force Lightning, so why do I keep having to try to activate this spell multiple times? It is insanely frustrating.

I do run an overclocked dual-core CPU, which I now read is potentially an issue. That's nuts. It is also nuts that this happens mostly during PvP and not PvE. PvP is when you need this the most.

All I wonder is how in the world this got past developers during Beta. I think they were so concerned about PvE that PvP combat was a complete afterthought.
It is equally persistant in PVE, trust me. I feel it when raiding in EV. But I even felt it on my level 18 BH. Let me explan:

I was at 20% HP after popping a med pack. I always send my companion out on crew skills while I am leveling, especially with a Merc BH since they are so solo friendly. I was fighting an elite after taking down two weak mobs that spawned after the cut scene with him. So you can understand he hits hard. He is about 15% HP when I pop shield. Now the entire time I absorbing damage I was going to rocket blast then finish with Death From Above. That should kill him. Well, after dealing with slight unresponsive abilities, I started pounding my rocket blast. Once, twice, three times, four times... dead. The shield actually died before any of my abilities can go off and I died with a mob at 15%.

Fellthar
01.23.2012 , 03:43 PM | #1024
Quote: Originally Posted by Xcore View Post
This is false and I hope does not confuse those not up to speed... I don't have the energy to go into great lengths and detail to explain this to you. The statement that WoW at any point in time was not responsive in combat is simply wrong and claiming anything like this is a blatant lie.

inb4 getting stuck looting...
/agree.

Also, lol, stuck looting was epic sometimes. You could slide across the whole zone with your character in a crouched position, but that meant you never did get the loot. Sometimes I just gave up on trying to loot certain corpses because it just would not work. This problem persisted for a crazy long time too.

I should note I don't think stuck looting bug was related to any kind of delay or even lag because you could still engage in combat or whatever fine when it was happening, as could others around you. It was just a really annoying/funny bug.

GreymaneAlpha
01.23.2012 , 05:00 PM | #1025
Quote: Originally Posted by Fellthar View Post
/agree.

Also, lol, stuck looting was epic sometimes. You could slide across the whole zone with your character in a crouched position, but that meant you never did get the loot. Sometimes I just gave up on trying to loot certain corpses because it just would not work. This problem persisted for a crazy long time too.

I should note I don't think stuck looting bug was related to any kind of delay or even lag because you could still engage in combat or whatever fine when it was happening, as could others around you. It was just a really annoying/funny bug.
Server-client communication bugs relating to looting and latency issues related to insufficient server hardware are quite a bit different from ability responsiveness issues due to poor engine performance coupled to the fundamentally awful decision to give precedence to animations over actions.

Manwitplanz
01.23.2012 , 05:03 PM | #1026
I agree with the OP

Lakaiiiiiii
01.23.2012 , 05:23 PM | #1027

This guy is so wrong...

I remember playing WoW back in ALPHA when it got leaked and there were private servers up. WoWs combat ran as smooth/fluid on those ALPHA build private servers as it does today. I then played WoW during the GameSpy 2 months beta where the combat was exactly as smooth as it is today.

This guy has no idea what he is talking about...

CupieFoxtail
01.23.2012 , 05:26 PM | #1028
Quote: Originally Posted by Lakaiiiiiii View Post
I remember playing WoW back in ALPHA when it got leaked and there were private servers up. WoWs combat ran as smooth/fluid on those ALPHA build private servers as it does today. I then played WoW during the GameSpy 2 months beta where the combat was exactly as smooth as it is today.
WoW combat, lol
My elemental shaman's one gap opener won't work half the time, because the enemy players get snagged on pebbles and won't get knocked any further back
The Z-axis mechanics are so buggy that the only "balance" they put the game around is in a box with completely flat surfaces and a few perfectly smooth ramps

fredspekvet
01.23.2012 , 05:27 PM | #1029
Quote: Originally Posted by Lakaiiiiiii View Post
This guy is so wrong...

This guy has no idea what he is talking about...
You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

Firstly, you're comparing a MMO to *private servers*... Most people will stop reading there, but ok.

WoW had these issues as well, in the beginning. and possibly even worse. not to mention constant server failure or downtime (which could easily take HOURS to fix) , lagspikes, dc's and game instability. it has severe issues with ATI based videocards. it had sound issues with some onboard chipsets. it had massive graphics stuttering. it had (and still has, to some respect) exactly the same stuff TOR has right now - only difference is that Bioware actually seems to care, and is , from what I can tell , actually doing something to fix those issues. Blizzard took months for this. if not a year or more.

Xeniast
01.23.2012 , 05:32 PM | #1030
Hey, just wanted to say I agree with OP and after watching his video it is very worrying because I LOVE this game and I REALLY do not want this to demise.

I mean, I personally don't like WoW but it really does have better responsiveness, this is a shame really because in my opinion SWTOR has a lot over WoW but anyway, that isn't why I'm posting.

I just wanted to say it's almost impossible to use the Ravage ability on my SW because of the UI delay where you press the ability and the animation and cast bar appear but nothing happens. It just makes me ignore the ability, which is really not good!

But yeah, you really do have an amazing game but you really should take heed of this and try and fix this.

Anyway, level 42 and planning on getting to 50 regardless, but the outcome will really decide whether I have one 50, or 5.