Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

_Darkstar
01.10.2012 , 03:25 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
If you see flagged players you should be paying attention and acting appropriately. I see no issue with this. If you start casting AoE's with them around, you're making a bad decision. They're hanging around flagged because they want PvP. If you don't, then don't hit them. Simple. I'm sorry but it's PvP and he's free to flag if he wants to, just as you're free to pay attention to what the heck you're doing and smartly avoid him.
I have never played a game where this happens, also they were stealthed and as an SI I don't have any way to see them so basically I am just at the mercy of randomly being thrown into PvP mode when other players feel like affecting my game?

PvP flag means they want PvP but equally no PvP flag from me means that I do not want it. I can't drop them into PvE mode my not shooting at them so its a little bit of an unfair one way street if you ask me.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Raani
01.10.2012 , 03:29 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Gorgewall View Post
Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.
WoW also fixed that a long time ago because people found it obnoxious and complained.

No matter how careful you are, you can't help it if someone stealths into the AoE you set down before you knew there was anyone around.

Having to watch your back and adjusting your playstyle to account for PvP encounters is normal on PvP servers. However, people who rolled on PvE servers did so precisely because they wanted to avoid world PvP. Shoving world PvP down their throats and forcing them to gimp their playstyle in case there is a griefer around only makes the game stressful and unenjoyable for them (and defeats the point of PvE servers).

Dasffion
01.10.2012 , 03:29 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
If you see flagged players you should be paying attention and acting appropriately. I see no issue with this. If you start casting AoE's with them around, you're making a bad decision. They're hanging around flagged because they want PvP. If you don't, then don't hit them. Simple. I'm sorry but it's PvP and he's free to flag if he wants to, just as you're free to pay attention to what the heck you're doing and smartly avoid him.
It's an incredibly stupid design and no amount of justification will make it otherwise. The OP doesn't want to participate in PvP so they rolled on a PvP server, they shouldn't be forced into PvP because someone purposefully walked into their AoE. I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't do this anymore either if you want another game who doesn't do it.

WoW does have a name for people who like to use the autoflag mechanic to jump people though, I can't think of the name of it but it's a very lame mechanic. It ensures that you can always get the first shot off. Participating in PvP on a PvE server should require flagging first. Plain and simple.

_Darkstar
01.10.2012 , 03:36 PM | #14
To add a bit of good news into this thread I did /sit and the person who I hit left me alone, but while I was making this thread the mobs I was killing when I caught him respawned and killed me lol.

Edit: To add a bit of bad news why was my thread moved into new player help? I don't want help I want to complain!
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

sharkfinsix
01.10.2012 , 04:00 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Gorgewall View Post
Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.
RIFT, after you set the toggle to not flag PVP in preference.

HanoverFist
01.10.2012 , 04:06 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
To add a bit of good news into this thread I did /sit and the person who I hit left me alone, but while I was making this thread the mobs I was killing when I caught him respawned and killed me lol.

Edit: To add a bit of bad news why was my thread moved into new player help? I don't want help I want to complain!
This does not belong in the Newbies help forum.

I posted a very similar thread to this a few days back , and a mod moved it to the PvP forum, I asked nicely for a mod to move it back and they did.

Pm a mod with the specifics and they will probably move it back for you.

Jalyra
01.10.2012 , 04:14 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
WoW does have a name for people who like to use the autoflag mechanic to jump people though, I can't think of the name of it but it's a very lame mechanic. It ensures that you can always get the first shot off. Participating in PvP on a PvE server should require flagging first. Plain and simple.
On Horde, we called it Bluewalling. To us, a lot of Alliance did this. Very aggravating. However, Bluewalling was when a non-PVP flagged player attacked a PVP flagged player without flagging first. It was an intentional move, not unintentional.

I am 100% with the OP. I find it highly intrusive to be on my own merry way, enjoying the game that I have every right to and accidentally hit another player who is PVP flagged. When I want to PVP, I queue up for Warzones. When I don't want to PVP I should not be forced in to it by unintentional actions, or the actions of others.

Roane
01.10.2012 , 04:29 PM | #18
I would think you could report the flagged player for griefing in this situation. I certainly would report it. They're intentionally harrassing you.

BlackRifle
01.10.2012 , 04:42 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
It's an incredibly stupid design and no amount of justification will make it otherwise. The OP doesn't want to participate in PvP so they rolled on a PvP server, they shouldn't be forced into PvP because someone purposefully walked into their AoE. I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't do this anymore either if you want another game who doesn't do it.
Right on the money.

_Darkstar
01.10.2012 , 04:45 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by HanoverFist View Post
Pm a mod with the specifics and they will probably move it back for you.
Is there somewhere that lists which mod to contact? It's not really something that I look out for but I want to see what Bioware plan on doing with this 'feature' so would like this thread in the right place.