Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

_Darkstar
01.10.2012 , 03:06 PM | #1
Let me start by saying I hate PvP - So I play on a PvE server to avoid it. I am also not flagged for PvP.

So why on earth can I accidentally catch a wandering enemy player in my AoE and automatically get set into PvP mode?

Not only do I not want this (Hence finding a PvE server!) but it takes me by surprise and I am dead before I even realise what is going on! Then I have to wait 5 minutes for the flag to wear off, during which time I can't go and quest because I know there are invisible enemy players around?

How did this feature make it live?

Even worse I hear is that if a PvP flagged friendly walks into your heal patch then you are flagged for PvP automatically! This is absurd and needs changing quickly because as I am getting higher in level I am seeing more and more PvP flagged players and I do not want to be restricted to single target attacks for fear of accidentally hitting someone.

I can forgive the bugs but this is going to ruin the game for me if it isn't changed soon.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Gorgewall
01.10.2012 , 03:11 PM | #2
Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

HanoverFist
01.10.2012 , 03:12 PM | #3
I agree 100% with the OP . I rolled on a PvE server too got flagged a few times on Hoth with this, then proceeded to get ganked by a group it was anything but fun. The whole story link.

People will intentionally stand close to you during a fight to grief you with this to. So if you see yellow names around don't AoE. Play gimped or be griefed , those are the only choices as of right now.

I have added a post to the suggestion box located here , if you support removing this mechanic/bug/problem please add your thoughts to the linked thread. I believe it is more likely to be seen than threads located in the general forum which become buried rather fast. I have also linked this post as well as others that address this .

Tenneth
01.10.2012 , 03:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
Let me start by saying I hate PvP - So I play on a PvE server to avoid it. I am also not flagged for PvP.

So why on earth can I accidentally catch a wandering enemy player in my AoE and automatically get set into PvP mode?

Not only do I not want this (Hence finding a PvE server!) but it takes me by surprise and I am dead before I even realise what is going on! Then I have to wait 5 minutes for the flag to wear off, during which time I can't go and quest because I know there are invisible enemy players around?

How did this feature make it live?

Even worse I hear is that if a PvP flagged friendly walks into your heal patch then you are flagged for PvP automatically! This is absurd and needs changing quickly because as I am getting higher in level I am seeing more and more PvP flagged players and I do not want to be restricted to single target attacks for fear of accidentally hitting someone.

I can forgive the bugs but this is going to ruin the game for me if it isn't changed soon.
I have yet to experience this myself, but it appears that this isn't intended. I'd submit a bug report in-game thoroughly explaining the situation and why you believe it should be fixed.

This could potentially be one of the biggest issues in the game, and I'm sure if it hasn't been fixed yet, it's because it hasn't come to the attention of Bioware.

I'll try to reproduce the problem and submit a report myself, but I suggest you do as well, in case I can't get the same results as you are.

Leiloni
01.10.2012 , 03:14 PM | #5
If you see flagged players you should be paying attention and acting appropriately. I see no issue with this. If you start casting AoE's with them around, you're making a bad decision. They're hanging around flagged because they want PvP. If you don't, then don't hit them. Simple. I'm sorry but it's PvP and he's free to flag if he wants to, just as you're free to pay attention to what the heck you're doing and smartly avoid him.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

DarthDemens
01.10.2012 , 03:14 PM | #6
Wait until you decide to be a nice person and rez a friendly player in the wild, only to discover that you're now flagged for PvP.

Particularly enjoyable since there is no way to tell if a corpse is pvp flagged.
Oh, great . you live on in our hearts!
Comprehensive Guide to Space Missions

Aieny
01.10.2012 , 03:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gorgewall View Post
Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.
Rift.

If you set the option, you cannot perform any action on a PvP flagged player (friendly or enemy) without toggling the option.

EDIT: (Jan. 29)
For those just coming in this thread, Joveth posted an important announcement regarding this issue:
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that the development team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating different solutions for it. Your feedback is important and we want everyone to be able to have an enjoyable experience. We'll definitely keep you posted with the latest information on this.

Thank you

source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...159167&page=84

Leiloni
01.10.2012 , 03:17 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aieny View Post
Rift.

If you set the option, you cannot perform any action on a PvP flagged player (friendly or enemy) without toggling the option.
Only after lots of QQ did they give in to that (dumb move IMO). The game was not originally designed that way.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

ScarletBlaze
01.10.2012 , 03:17 PM | #9

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

SWG. If you were not flagged pvp then this doesn't happen .
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

_Darkstar
01.10.2012 , 03:22 PM | #10
City of Heroes.

Also just because 'thats how is it' doesn't make it a good idea.

Do you have any of your own opinions on stuff or do you just make statements to try and belittle people?
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!