Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Carbon Freezing

Aleira
01.10.2012 , 12:23 PM | #1
I thought carbon freezing a 'human'(oid) was an 'experiment' in Empire Strikes Back. Han Solo was frozen in carbonite as a 'lab rat' to see if the process would be successful to preserve Luke Skywalker for delivery to the Emperor. Yet carbon freezing seems fairly common-place in swtor.

comments?

Pirate_Ron
01.10.2012 , 12:31 PM | #2
Our own society forgot about indoor plumbing for several thousand years. I'm sure star wars society could have forgotten human carbonite freezing as well.

Also I think it was more of an issue with Lando's equipment. It's not like he was freezing people every day. I'm sure the settings for freezing gasses is different than freezing humans.

Bekkal
01.10.2012 , 12:35 PM | #3
If carbon freezing was an experiment, how did Leia know about hibernation sickness?

I always saw it as a risky-but-doable way of suspending people.

darthgroond
01.10.2012 , 12:35 PM | #4
Homage > Continuity, or so it would seem.
Rest in peace little pixel. Your memory will live on.
-- The Pixel Legacy (The Red Eclipse EU) --

''A Sith craves adventure and excitement.'' - Firrez Pixel

ChampionChains
01.10.2012 , 12:38 PM | #5
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, Lando protests freezing Han because the technology was meant only for inorganic matter and had never been tested on a living person. There wasn't a guarantee that a human could survive being frozen in carbonite.

In general BW often seems to overlook a great deal of the way things are supposed to work in the SW universe. They generally just throw in lightsabers and blasters and write it off as being accurate.

Bekkal
01.10.2012 , 12:41 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, Lando protests freezing Han because the technology was meant only for inorganic matter and had never been tested on a living person. There wasn't a guarantee that a human could survive being frozen in carbonite.

In general BW often seems to overlook a great deal of the way things are supposed to work in the SW universe. They generally just throw in lightsabers and blasters and write it off as being accurate.
I'd love to hear your explanation for how Leia understood exactly what would happen to Han once he "thawed".

Pirate_Ron
01.10.2012 , 12:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post

Carbonite freezing of people had been done before, but Lando's equipment was specifically configured to freeze Tibana Gas.

It makes sense that when you reconfigure your equipment you won't know for certain that it will work. That's why you do tests and why they used Han.

Wraith_Shadow
01.10.2012 , 09:50 PM | #8
I thought that they specifically mentioned that "it had never been done before"? not that THEY'D never done it, but it sounded more like NO ONE has ever done it.

RiledRodian
01.10.2012 , 10:04 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow View Post
I thought that they specifically mentioned that "it had never been done before"? not that THEY'D never done it, but it sounded more like NO ONE has ever done it.
Freezing someone in carbonite and keeping them alive, according to Vader, had never been done before, not freezing somebody at all. Even if that's the case, Vader is hardly the authority on all human history, remembered and forgotten.

Human civilization on Earth has existed for about 12,000 years. We've done a lot, and forgot a lot of what we've done.

Human civilization in Star Wars has existed over 50,000 years. I'm sure they've done, and forgotten, much more than we have.
Buy the Coruscant Condo of your dreams!
Adjustable APR loans now available to almost anyone!
-~~- CZERKA SACHS-~~-
The Banking Clan You Trust