Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update Needed- Mirrors not Equal

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Update Needed- Mirrors not Equal

Izariel
01.10.2012 , 12:08 PM | #1
BW- you have seen a profusion of threads detailing the instances in which the "mirrors" are not mirrors at all. Interestingly enough, they all favor Imperials.

Please, BW give us an update on how you plan to fix ALL the imbalances, not just a few high profile ones.

Thank you.

RiotHeart
01.10.2012 , 12:43 PM | #2
people are still crying over this. how about you play better

Magnesium
01.10.2012 , 12:44 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by RiotHeart View Post
people are still crying over this. how about you play better
Who needs fixes right?

Aquatium Only in Light can a Shadow exist
Maelstrom
Recruitment Video | Website | Forums | YouTube Channel | Recruitment Post

nemhook
01.10.2012 , 12:48 PM | #4
Kinda funny how the people who flame others regarding this are Sith, i have no doubt if it was reversed the shoe would be on the other foot, double standard much.

I myself have not made any comments either way and am just seeing what happens, but there are those who will defend there side since they do not want it changed.

Llokki
01.10.2012 , 02:58 PM | #5
I suggest that if you want this thread to actually be taken seriously, you post a bit more information than "This is imbalanced. Fix it!".

And I say this as a Republic player, if it makes any difference to you.

EbbnFlow
01.10.2012 , 03:41 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Llokki View Post
I suggest that if you want this thread to actually be taken seriously, you post a bit more information than "This is imbalanced. Fix it!".

And I say this as a Republic player, if it makes any difference to you.
The OP is referring to this: http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/commen...y_across_both/

My .02 - travel time on the Explosive Probe allows the IA version to queue up snipe and just before snipe lands, cast explosive probe, effectively enabling large burst instant damage. The smuggler version has travel time and will not 'explode' if used after 'snipe' because it's still traveling.

Copy/pasted

I came across an interesting post while sifting through the mess that is the swtor forums. All credit goes to the people who noticed/found these problems and posted in this thread

Basically what they're saying is abilities for classes and their mirrors aren't exactly the same a lot of the time. I've noticed this from playing an operative in beta, and playing a scoundrel after release.

Some of these are a blatant numbers issue such as CD's or how long an effect lasts, while others aren't as apparent such as an animation causing the damage from an ability to come out later than its mirror.

I'll keep a list of differences I've found in the OP from the thread linked above and posts scattered throughout.

Jedi Knight / Sith Warrior:

JG's Freezing Force slows for 6 seconds, SJ's Chilling Scream (equivalent) slows for 9.

Freezing Force : Chilling Scream

JK Blade Storm has a wind up time (the jedi visibly pulls his hand back) and a travel time (both moves are 10m), SW Force Scream deals damage immediately regardless of range

Jedi Consular / Sith Inquisitor:

Project (Cons) doesn't damage until projectile hits, SI Shock does damage instantly.

Trooper / Bounty Hunter:

Mortar Volley (Trooper) takes about 2 seconds for any damage to be registered in the area, while Death From Above (BH) damages instantly. (Not Confirmed)

Smuggler / Imperial Agent:

The talent Accomplished Sawbones (Scoundrel) provides a 5%/10%/15% crit healing bonus opposed to Accomplished Doctor (Op) 10%/20%/30%.

Accomplished Sawbones / Ingame : Accomplished Doctor

Flash Bang (IA) has a 60 sec CD, Flash Grenade (Smuggler) has a 90 sec CD.

Flash Bang : Flash Grenade / Ingame

Debilitate can be used while moving, Dirty kick forces the player to stop.

Smuggler Sab Charge takes time to get to the target, IA Explosive Probe hits target instantly

That's all I have so far. I will be adding more to the list as I find them posted or find them ingame. I just wanted to get the word out because these are game changing problems (especially under smuggler/IA)

Also, any constructive feedback would be great. I'm usually lurking but felt this needed to be posted, and probably made many mistakes. Thanks!

Edit: I should note I've only confirmed the JK/SW and Smuggler/IA as I have played those classes personally and experienced the differences. Any confirmation for the other classes would be appreciated.
Please fix tab targeting!

chainsawsamurai
01.10.2012 , 03:54 PM | #7
I can't speak for any of the other ones, but I can tackle these guys:

Quote:
JK Blade Storm has a wind up time (the jedi visibly pulls his hand back) and a travel time (both moves are 10m), SW Force Scream deals damage immediately regardless of range

Trooper / Bounty Hunter:

Mortar Volley (Trooper) takes about 2 seconds for any damage to be registered in the area, while Death From Above (BH) damages instantly. (Not Confirmed)
On the Jedi Stuff. Force Scream has the same "wind up." My Marauder crosses her arms in front of her face and then jerks them downward to her sides, screams, and then numbers pop up.

On most of the short ranged abilities with travel time it seems that as soon as the ability activates (after the initial animation, the throw, etc) the damage is done to the enemy's health bar, the pretty numbers just don't pop up until the projectile connects. I expect Force Scream and Blade Storm are mirrors and you just need to find something with low enough health to watch the bar move and test a bit more thoroughly.

DFA and Mortar ARE mirrors, and it is why Mortar feels so awkward. That time the Trooper sits there picking his nose after laying the AoE template is time the BH spends flying up into the air. In both situations the channel is already ticking for quite some time before damage starts pouring in, the BH just looks more productive so people don't complain about it. With both abilities the last volley is fired at the end of the channel (at which point the BH descends) and the damage from that volley doesn't pop up until later.

The damage for DFA and Mortar appears to be triggered when the shot fires rather than when the round impacts and explodes. This can be seen when a mob/player runs out of the AoE (which is larger than the template, so that can be confusing as well) between when the shot is fired and when it connects. The damage will pop up on the Force Speeding Sorc/Sage, now way across the arena, when the round impacts.

Can't speak to anything else, but the CD disparities are what you should be focusing on.
21/2/18 - Carolina Parakeet

Gone, but not forgotten.

krameriffic
01.10.2012 , 09:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by chainsawsamurai View Post
DFA and Mortar ARE mirrors, and it is why Mortar feels so awkward. That time the Trooper sits there picking his nose after laying the AoE template is time the BH spends flying up into the air. In both situations the channel is already ticking for quite some time before damage starts pouring in, the BH just looks more productive so people don't complain about it. With both abilities the last volley is fired at the end of the channel (at which point the BH descends) and the damage from that volley doesn't pop up until later.

The damage for DFA and Mortar appears to be triggered when the shot fires rather than when the round impacts and explodes. This can be seen when a mob/player runs out of the AoE (which is larger than the template, so that can be confusing as well) between when the shot is fired and when it connects. The damage will pop up on the Force Speeding Sorc/Sage, now way across the arena, when the round impacts.
They do not have the same delays, this is absolutely wrong. The final mortar of mortar strike hits so long after the channel is done that you can be halfway through casting your next grav shot before it hits.

Vgbeee
01.10.2012 , 10:41 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by chainsawsamurai View Post
DFA and Mortar ARE mirrors, and it is why Mortar feels so awkward. That time the Trooper sits there picking his nose after laying the AoE template is time the BH spends flying up into the air.
This is simply not true. It doesn't even require any kind of intensive testing to notice the difference. The first hit of DFA occurs over a full SECOND before the first hit of mortar. BHs fly into the air almost instantly. The mortar is so slow that the last shot of it doesn't even fire until AFTER the channel has ended.