Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Soloist Complaint: Way too many Flashpoints and Heroic Missions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Soloist Complaint: Way too many Flashpoints and Heroic Missions

Graburr's Avatar


Graburr
01.10.2012 , 09:15 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by GirlStarWarsFan View Post
I would not consider this "trolling the forums" as you say, as this really is not an "off topic or inflammatory" message, but rather, is a constructive criticism with my personal opinion.
not really constructive. don't get me wrong, you have your playstyle - which is fine, everybody has it's own - but MMOs (usually) cater to a lot of different playstyles.

it's like a raider arguing there's too much solo content. only when there is not enough content for your own playstyle it might be a reason to criticize it, but there is more than enough solo content in the game. you just have to accept that you will never be able to do ALL the content anyway - unless you practically live in the game.
from this POV, does it really matter how much content there is for other playstyles?

Uruare's Avatar


Uruare
01.10.2012 , 10:49 AM | #22
They didn't exactly make it easy to group consistently unless you're playing with the same person, or group of people, at all times.

I, for example, play with my significant other on one of my characters. She has less time to play than I do, and I don't play that character without her. Our guild, which consists of a lot of people we know IRL, is all over the map level-wise.

If you're not in the same +/- about 4 levels of eachother, you're really nuking someone's kill XP, or having yours nuked. A level 47 running a Black Talon flashpoint with a level 17 and a level 11 is going to be rolling out the carpet as they stroll idly along and nuke everything.

In short, they didn't make it very easy for people with a level disparity to play together, and I'd wager that very -few- people enjoy the benefit I enjoy of being able to regularly play with someone I live with.

I have four other characters I play when my significant other can't. They're all in various guilds...and every single guild I'm in, it's the same deal. Nobody plays together at all times.

Many, many quests are solo'd because everyone else is doing their own thing. Almost nobody's at the same place in a planet quest chain, and the best I ever see elsewise is hopping in on calls for flashpoints in guild or fleet's general chat, or heroics on whatever planet I'm on.

The incentive just isn't there in a lot of ways for people of widely diverse levels to group. High level folks are basically wasting their time, unless they're farming LS/DS and/or companion affection points to go do flashpoints they've outleveled; the gear is rarely gonna be a draw, unless they're looking for a specific orange for appearance customization.

Soloing a lot is built into the game, despite the encouragements aplenty to basically do everything in as large a group as you can. Heck, the social point meter and the social vendors are mechanical systems that reward grouping for everything a lot and doing so consistently.

But they're not even vaguely sufficient motivators to get people to work against the system, and the system doesn't do a very good job of rewarding people that group for content below their level, and in no way enables lower level people to group with high level friends to do anything at all.

Be another matter if they had a system like City of Heroes of Champions, wherein which you could lower your effective level to someone else's, or be elevated to function at a level 1 below whomever you were 'sidekicked' to.

Didn't give you higher level powers or abilities; just the HP and functional ability to be treated as a level XX that could hit stuff and take a few hits from whatever you were fighting with your higher level buddy...or reduce your level to join a lower level group and, while having all or most of your powers, face the challenge as something equivalent to their level.

Lowbies SK'd up to higher still got XP and drops and whatnot...but the XP was as killing a Thing of this class for their actual level. A high level ex'd down, the same; if a level 45ex'd down to 15 in a group of 15's and killed a normal mob, they'd get XP as though they'd killed a level 45 normal mob, whereas everyone else would get XP comensurate with their own actual level.

It made doing stuff with your friends really easy, and didn't inhibit people from doing their own thing in the majority of the rest of their time.

I, for example, can't PVP or even do many of my space missions on the character I play with my SO unless she does them too, for example...or I'll eventually outlevel her by a margin that will trash the XP she gets from the stuff we kill doing missions.

That's significant.

So, it's something to ponder.

Peace out.
I'm the casual gamer with more money than time to burn. Loath me for it if you like.

Forum Moderators, I dedicate this to you. You poor, underappreciated sods.

silverprovidence's Avatar


silverprovidence
01.10.2012 , 10:54 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by GirlStarWarsFan View Post
You misunderstand, I am not complaining, as I am expressing a fact in combination with my personal opinion of this game.
So your not complaining theres not enough solo content to get you to 50, or you not even complaining that theres not enough solo content at all. Your just looking at the group content and saying... 'there should be less of that even though it doesnt affect me'? Thats just... yea.

How many would be 'enough' flashpoints? Two flashpoints? One heroic mission a planet? Theres content for soloists. And theres content for gorup players. And, more importantly, theres content for people who do both solo AND group content. Your complaint is irrational really. You dont even really seem to indiciate that this amount of content somehow impinges on your playstyle. Your simply offended by it because its... there.
'Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. The heated mind resents the chill touch and relentless scrutiny of logic' - William Ewart Gladstone.

EwromFlyingrider's Avatar


EwromFlyingrider
01.10.2012 , 10:55 AM | #24
There is plenty of solo content in this game. I find the flashpoints and Heroic Missions fun. while I do like to solo when it comes to my class quests and quests in the worlds. I also like to group up and be a viable player when it comes to group. There is only so much solo content I can do before wanting something else. You want to play solo go play a non MMO game then.

Ezoran's Avatar


Ezoran
01.10.2012 , 12:28 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by GirlStarWarsFan View Post
I very much enjoying playing this game: being both a huge star wars fan and an avid MMO gamer, thank you. But, I prefer playing solo and as I now have high level characters, I can reflect back and express my personal opinion- that there are way too many Flashpoints and Heroic Missions that require a group, which interrups my personal style of gameplay.


another way to word this is - how about making solo versions of the flashpoints/operations? that way you can experience the content as a solo player? or even 2 man versions?

not everyone enjoys being part of a huge guild (for various and sundry reasons).

and it doesn't adversely affect ANYONE else's playstyle or playtime. so there is ZERO reason for anyone to QQ that zomqwtfbbq there are solo/duo mandalorian raiders~!!!

of course, some idiots will QQ because, well, they're idiots. we can simply put them behind the woodshed and shoot them. dead.

Ahebish's Avatar


Ahebish
01.10.2012 , 12:53 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by chronomasakari View Post
That's a silly complaint because there's more then enough solo content to make your way through 50 without dipping into flashpoints and heroic missions. In fact if you were one of the earlier 50's you had to do so because there was no one to group with to do flashpoints or heroic quests. Hell when I finished Corellia I was the only one on the planet.

Trust me, there's more then enough solo content.
I skipped all 2man and 4 man heroics, I only did a couple of flash points just to see how they worked.

Otherwise I solo'd my way to 50.

Noone is forcing the OP to do them.

It's called "content"

Remove that, what do you have left?

Maybe MMO's aren't for you? Since you seem to like single player games

BlazingShadow's Avatar


BlazingShadow
01.10.2012 , 01:08 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by GirlStarWarsFan View Post
You misunderstand, I am not complaining, as I am expressing a fact in combination with my personal opinion of this game.
You are trolling.

/thread

Weasul's Avatar


Weasul
01.10.2012 , 01:10 PM | #28
You can SKIP the heroics and Flashpoints. It will NOT cause you any issues as you level.

I managed to do 1-50 doing only the starter heroics (solo'd) and not doing any others...

They're there for players who WANT to group, not because they HAVE to be done.

EchoTwoOmega's Avatar


EchoTwoOmega
01.10.2012 , 01:18 PM | #29
I generally play solo but I also enjoy playing with friends / pugs too. (get to make new friends that way)


If anything there is far too little group content. it would be nice to see entire quest hubs that are group quests only.


In my opinion I would really like to see all of the heroic quests be set for groups of 2. And then all of the flashpoints are for groups of 4.
Squadron 367

Irishbrewed's Avatar


Irishbrewed
01.10.2012 , 01:21 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by GirlStarWarsFan View Post
I very much enjoying playing this game: being both a huge star wars fan and an avid MMO gamer, thank you. But, I prefer playing solo and as I now have high level characters, I can reflect back and express my personal opinion- that there are way too many Flashpoints and Heroic Missions that require a group, which interrups my personal style of gameplay.
It's optional. Not too sure what the problem is? Are you a completionist? If so mmo is a bad genre for ya