Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise

Xalent
01.11.2012 , 05:20 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedlosson View Post
Who cares about their aim...? THey have much bigger problems...

Why the hell they wear armor, if it doesn't protect them from anything. Even Ewoks bludgeoned them to death with stones!

By the way, has any one of you noticed a stormtrooper ever getting injured?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0L99Q5xiMA

He used to be a good storm trooper, then he took a blaster to the knee.

*gets coat*

MustrumRidcully
01.11.2012 , 06:11 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by CyberCommando View Post
And yet not one heroic character is killed by there marksmanship, despite them having ample shots. WHY?
You should have seen the opposition.

Maybe it is the force protecting our heroes most of the time? Anakin wasn't aware of his force ability, but he could instinctually drive speeder bikes like no other human could, being able to compete with aliens. Maybe if the force ability remains undeveloped, it only manifests in a general passive ability that protects you and yourself. Most of the scenes with stormtroopers does also involve Luke or Leia, so..

Nizzemancer
01.11.2012 , 08:55 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMoord View Post
In ANH the Stormtroopers successfully convince a former stormtrooper (Han Solo) that they were trying to kill them whilst firing from the hip, that they didn't accidentally hit anyone is a testament to their accuracy not a sign of inaccuracy. In addition you people need to get some experience in actually shooting a gun while on the move, it's not as easy as Hollywood would like to depict. For example on average for every insurgent killed by US armed forces in Iraq, we expended in excess of a thousand rounds.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you or anything but that last statement has more to do with utilizing superior firepower over accuracy, i.e. Putting up a wall of lead is better when keeping the enemy pinned down than one shot close by.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

Gun_Slinger
01.11.2012 , 10:25 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by TWRapter View Post
those were clone troopers not stormtroopers
They are one and the same. Remember that the Empire of the OT is just the Republic of the crappy new trilogy with the senate dissolved, and palpy in charge.
"It's a trap!" "Your tastebuds can't repel firepower of this magnitude!"

Gun_Slinger
01.11.2012 , 10:30 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruliya View Post
The only comparison I can draw from here is the Vietnamese in that war. The Vietnamese were technologically inferior (as were the Ewoks) to the Americans (Empire) but the Americans(Empire) were simply not used to jungle warfare. Being so out of depth to their usual field of battle they were unexpectedly overwhelmed with tactics they were unfamiliar with and, in the short battle of Endor, were taken out in that regards.

Thinking on it as thus, I may have to revoke my previous statement saying that such a battle was "the worst ever committed to film"

Still, in regards to the thread itself, I do believe the Stormtroopers themselves to be crack shots, it's just that in regards to what is shown in the films, we get, what is created to allow the on screen plot to circumvent "rational reasoning" in regards to what the troopers are actually capable of.
Yeah I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned but...it's called plot armor. And many things have it. You cannot weigh relative combat effectiveness using battles involving main characters. i.e. I could argue that the Defiant is the most powerful gosh darn ship in the fleet, because of plot armor. But it would be a dumb argument.
"It's a trap!" "Your tastebuds can't repel firepower of this magnitude!"

jarjarloves
01.11.2012 , 11:44 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Gun_Slinger View Post
Yeah I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned but...it's called plot armor. And many things have it. You cannot weigh relative combat effectiveness using battles involving main characters. i.e. I could argue that the Defiant is the most powerful gosh darn ship in the fleet, because of plot armor. But it would be a dumb argument.
part of the reason why plot armor is different for Star Wars is because of the fan boys and the canon system.

Because of the way Star Wars canon is set up everything you see in the movies is how it actually happend. There is no "oh that's just a special effect" or anything like that.

For example if you watch say Bad Boys the Jerry Bruchhimer film there are action scenes that are completly impossible and everyone says "oh thats cool but it's not real"

However because Star Wars attracts Nerds and because of how the canon system is set up Nerds beleive it is real in a way and want a scientific explination.

For example.

The Milenium Falcon can do the Kessel Run in 12 Parsecs.

In reality a Parsec is a unit to measure distance and not time. George Lucas didn't know this when he wrote it.

So it should just be a goof but instead the nerds created an entire explination of how the Kessel run is a race that goes close to black holes and everything.

So since it has been said everything in the movies is official and that's how it is that means Storm Troopers can't aim, Storm troopers armor can't stop an arrow, Storm Troopers armor cracks when they fall down and so on.

I love star wars with all my heart but i'm not a fan of the fandom.