Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HM Commendations/Loot READ

Janyx-Nehalem
01.10.2012 , 09:43 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Statements View Post
So the general consensus is that for every HM/Op done at LEAST one full piece of gear should be obtainable?
No, learn to read. 0/10 is too few. Not 0/1.
Night gathers, and now my watch begins. I shall not love. I shall not hate. I am the knife in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold. I am the light that brings the dawn. I am the shield that guards the innocent. I pledge my life and honor to the Republic, for this night and all the nights to come.

The-Hammer
01.10.2012 , 09:44 AM | #22
I agree with this 100% the grind to get gear at 50 is sad. Especially that pvp gear is so much easier to get then PvE gear. I can do my dailies/weekly for pvp and get a piece of gear once a week at least if i dont get anything out of my bag. Thats not how it should work. As much as i enjoy the pvp i shouldnt be raiding in pvp gear because i can get it soooo much easier and sadly some of it is better itemized then even the rakata gear.

I run at least the daily hardmode and try to get 2 or 3 if i can and i have just now after 3 weeks of being 50 do i have enough to buy one piece of tionese gear. The crystal thing is stupid. Either make it all tionese crystals so people can at least buy the low level gear or make commends drop off bosses instead of crystals. Its rediculous.

GeneralPyrrhus
01.10.2012 , 09:46 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Thoffs View Post
Exactly THIS.

From everything I read pre-release, this was going to be a 'different' game, breaking the mold, etc in regards to loot drops for raid-level gear, but it appears to be the same old crap. Really, how HARD is it to drop gear appropriate for the players in the group/operation?????
In theory it should be pretty simple. But I wonder if the drops are generated when the instance is created. If that's the case, you don't want to restrict loot to the group that created the instance, because people can drop and be replaced. WoW works like that as I recall, and I imagine there's a reason for it.

Not that you couldn't design around that. For example, create loot priority lists for each boss when the instance is created, and when the actual kill comes, discard items that can't be used by the current group until you get one that is useful.

Of course, there's the question of farming content for companion gear. If only loot useful to the current group is obtainable, the only companions that can be geared up are the ones that share your armor type & primary stat (or those of someone else in the group).

amonre
01.10.2012 , 10:06 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Salmissra View Post
Not only that, but the ratio of crystals to commendations is also out of whack. That'd be forgivable if there was something useful to buy with only crystals (like stims, or something), but as it is, after buying my first item I'm sitting at 6 commendations and 121 crystals. Er...ok.

I'm not sure why they didn't just set it to just one type of Tion commendation and make each boss/miniboss drop one. The crystals thing is pretty redundant, confusing, and pointless.

The entire HM system is borked. I made a post about this yesterday and had the fanbois shouting I was trying to "make things easy." What I want is to make it worth while.

As pointed out, the drop rates suck. Horribly. We've gotten more gear for classes not present than classes present (lots of Trooper gear when we didn't have any Troopers). What happened to the regular FP where they see what classes are available and tailor drops based on that?

Then you have the commendations, also as pointed out. I got either 1 or 2 commendations for finishing HM FPs. And about 12 Crystals. But, as pointed out, you can't buy anything with the extra crystals (gear is about a 1:2 Commendtion:Crystal ratio, not 1:6). IMO, they need to up the rate of Commendation drops (7-8 HM per piece of gear would be reasonable, requiring upwards of 100 HM FPs to be fully geared) and if they keep the same stupid ratio of Commendations/Crystals, a way to buy commendations with Crystals.

That, and well, fix all the borked encounters, bugs and loot boxes that don't open. How the hell did this stuff make it past QA? Did they even DO any testing on this content? I know public testers didn't, because BioWare didn't let them, but did their internal team do any? I remember someone posting, a dev, that the internal testers were what they really cared about, yet they either aren't doing their job or this stuff isn't being tested.

What scares me is they are already pushing new content (new OP bosses and a new FP) with the current OPs and FPs in such shambles. Apparently they think poorly finished content is as good as having "lots" of content.

anstalt
01.10.2012 , 10:10 AM | #25
They really should look at LOTRO with regards to handing out gear. A simple barter system is so much fairer than random.

Basics would be that the final boss in a flashpoint drops a barter token for a piece of gear. That token can be looted by anyone and then traded in for a piece of gear. So, Esseles for example, the final boss might drop a "boots" token which anyone can loot and trade in for a pair of boots of their choosing. That way, it would require 4 full runs on a flashpoint for everyone to obtain their piece of gear.

That way, progression is measurable and within a guild group its easy to control the gearing up of people. In pugs, yeh, you might get unlucky and lose the roll 12 times in a row but that'd be rare.

Make the primary armour items (helm, chest, gloves, legs, boots) and main weapon all drop tokens from set bosses, and then make the rest (implants, earpieces, belt, bracers, offhands) all random drops.

Doing it that way ensures sure but steady progression in a timely manner whilst retaining some element of randomness to keep the loot exciting and reward those who grind instances a lot. Pure random like they have now is terrible, they had/have the same system it WAR for pve instances there and its one of the many reasons no1 runs them.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

zolthie
01.10.2012 , 10:15 AM | #26
Tionese commendations and crystals are useless, just like centurion commendations are useless.

Exertim
01.10.2012 , 10:19 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by zolthie View Post
Tionese commendations and crystals are useless, just like centurion commendations are useless.
Honestly, this is true. Unless you are supremely unlucky, by the time you get enough Columi commendations to buy anything, you'll already have no use for them.
Sakarai - 50 Jedi Sentinel
Canderous Ordo

silverprovidence
01.10.2012 , 10:37 AM | #28
I think the 'reason' that the drop rates are minimilised is to encouraage participation in the normal mode operations. But if that is the case frankly its unneeded. Normal mode operations are the base level, supposed to be done in gear available right from when you hit 50, its meant to be a low cost kind of operation to just go through for an easy time. As such I dont think hard flashpoints need to be paced gear wise to force you through normal modes. After all there are guilds/players that might want to go straight to the hard modes rather than doing operation grinding x3 difficulties.

I think its rather daft that hard flashpoint final bosses drop columi gear as well. Its very... nonsecal compared to the tionese drop rates there. They should make the minibosses there drop tionese crystals as they already do (slightly buffed in the amount they drop, make bosses not drop crystals but do drop tionese commendations. Then remove any columi gear tokens or gear (a friend swears that HK dropped him a columi lightsaber but I really cba to check) that exists and replace them with tionese tokens/gear.

That way you get 3 tionese commendations a flashpoint, probably the same crystal droprate as currently but giving a defined niche to the minibosses, and end this insanity wwith the columi gear. It kind of makes tionese progression route meaningless. And perhaps give crystals a conversion rate, like warzone to mercenary commendations. Considering crystals are from the same content as the commendations that shouldnt be too controversial. Something like a 10-20 conversion rate.

As for it 'sensing' your group composition I would like less cunning crap to drop with no cunning players... but its like how I feel about changing the op auto-assign thing. Have to be careful there as players should have the ability to gear their offspecs. That said, if the commendation rate was adjusted to what I suggested. i suppose you could gear from a smart drop based system that checked your specs and class makeup in the group, then buy your offspec stuff/companion gear from the commendations.
'Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. The heated mind resents the chill touch and relentless scrutiny of logic' - William Ewart Gladstone.

Thoffs
01.10.2012 , 10:39 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by GeneralPyrrhus View Post
In theory it should be pretty simple. But I wonder if the drops are generated when the instance is created. If that's the case, you don't want to restrict loot to the group that created the instance, because people can drop and be replaced. WoW works like that as I recall, and I imagine there's a reason for it.

Not that you couldn't design around that. For example, create loot priority lists for each boss when the instance is created, and when the actual kill comes, discard items that can't be used by the current group until you get one that is useful.

Of course, there's the question of farming content for companion gear. If only loot useful to the current group is obtainable, the only companions that can be geared up are the ones that share your armor type & primary stat (or those of someone else in the group).
They could do something that would make it a much higher probability that somebody in the group would benefit along the lines of what you suggested. And if they wrote the code in the first place to make this very hard to do, then this just shows BW's noobishness in terms of MMOs I guess. Anyway, it is disappointing that they are repeating the same tired formula of other MMOs. I need to erect my shrine to the 'Random Gear Drop' god again I guess to play end game, and it is a shame.

theonepanda
01.10.2012 , 10:40 AM | #30
Random loot is random.

If you were playing WoW, you just wouldn't have any loot period. Oh you'd have like 10k valor usable to buy useless crap, but yea.

I agree though that since they put in an alternate way of getting gear, they should've made it not be so useless.

Also crystals are dumb, and I agree that they serve no purpose.

I'm not sure how this is Bioware's "noobishness".

WoW certainly never has and never will stack loot drops to favor a certain comp.
Fear the panda