Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dark side corruption

kionter
01.09.2012 , 07:26 PM | #1
Or as the game calls it, Sith corruption

Where did it come from? Certainly not the movies, Palpatine got his face to look like that after frying it himself when fighting Windu

Darth Vader looks pretty good for someone who got burned alive

In fact it seems that either side of the Force has the power to preserve the body without any secondary effects.

I don't read many Star Wars novels, the first time I remember seeing the effects of corruption was in the first KOTOR. Even there several NPC dark side users didn't have this effect on them, even Revan himself.

Just curious about the whole corruption thing and where it started.

Hanscholo
01.09.2012 , 07:34 PM | #2
Its arguable that palpatine looked like the 'burnt' vers and just hid the fact using the force. I dont think that was ever explained properly was it?

Anakin, Darth Maul both had the red eyes, so they were showing the effects.

I think its just a bit of licence used by EU story tellers though and picked up by bioware. One thing is for sure....i have absolutely NFI why non force users get it. That should be changed imo, not only does it not make sense, it really ruins the RP.

Aileanjeune
01.09.2012 , 08:46 PM | #3
For starters, Vader looked like crap.

Second, Vader, Malak and Malgus all look the same and wear virtually the same costume because people think that's what a sith has to look like. It immediately says "Sith" and so its an easy look to use.

Sith corruption is just a ploy made up to explain why all sith look like crap. Its just a way that the fanboy EU writers use to explain inexplicable things that happened in the movies that really just were the way they were for the effect in the film.
Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Death, yet the Force.

XTchazTX
01.10.2012 , 04:54 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by kionter View Post
Or as the game calls it, Sith corruption

Where did it come from? Certainly not the movies, Palpatine got his face to look like that after frying it himself when fighting Windu
You mean you didn't see Anakin's eyes?

Anyway the corruption is mostly a game mechanic to allow dark siders to look awesomely evil (for lack of a better phrase). There's no hard written law for it, but hell it's fun to see in action so why not?

Dargen
01.10.2012 , 07:23 AM | #5
i could be wrong but i think the first use of dark side corruption was in the courtship of prinsess leia in the EU. could be wrong though

BladeStrike
01.10.2012 , 07:52 AM | #6
If you select to not show sith corruption, do other players still see it?

XTchazTX
01.10.2012 , 08:18 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by BladeStrike View Post
If you select to not show sith corruption, do other players still see it?
I'm hazarding a guess at "no".

FilthyIlls
01.10.2012 , 09:46 AM | #8
Apparently sith corruption is just a bad case of vitiligo because my black sith juggernaut is now a white man.

a_coathanger
01.10.2012 , 01:49 PM | #9
It's probably a combination of stress and anger which to a normal person wouldn't show very much physically. Being force users means they would likely react much more strongly to the emotions to the point of somewhat destroying their physical body through emotions that tends to have an actual negative effect on health.
Short answer - They are literally so angry and enraged and the body can't handle that much stress without beginning to fail to some extent is my best guess.

LordRelyks
01.10.2012 , 01:51 PM | #10
Sith corruption is caused by what I believe pure Dark Side power.

Wiz' Khalifa/Nevaro Kas'im from Flurry SWG.