Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any well written SW books?

XxZkoolxX
01.10.2012 , 11:48 PM | #21
The stuff written by R A Salvatore.

XxZkoolxX
01.10.2012 , 11:50 PM | #22
O ya..l you have to read shadows of the empire. Excellent!

Lecutus
01.11.2012 , 12:45 AM | #23
Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

obarskyer
01.21.2012 , 06:34 PM | #24
I liked the Xwing series of books.

BrandonSM
01.21.2012 , 07:09 PM | #25
Halfway through Plageuis and its a great book.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Jorander
01.21.2012 , 07:50 PM | #26
Examples of quality technical writing, and good stories:

New Jedi Order 13: Traitor:
New Jedi Order 19: The Unifying Force
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
Clone Wars book 2: Shatterpoint

Average writing and good stories:
Thrawn trilogy, and pretty much anything written by Timothy Zhan.
I Jedi.
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Revan Novel

Below average writing, but good stories:
The other two Darth Bane books.
Darth Maul Duology.
New Jedi Order 9: Star by Star
Fate of the Jedi

Below average writing and below average story.
Almost anything written by Karen Traviss and Troy Denning. Some of KT's Republic Commando novels are bearable, as is some of Troy Denning's work in Fate of the Jedi.
"Honor is a fool's prize." Darth Bane
"Love will not condemn you, love will save you." Jolee Bindo
"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." Kreia. The wisest teachers of the force to ever live.

BrandonSM
01.21.2012 , 07:55 PM | #27
(Jorander, I thought you left with the Wipe. I haven't seen you D: )

Quote: Originally Posted by Jorander View Post
Examples of quality technical writing, and good stories:

New Jedi Order 13: Traitor:
New Jedi Order 19: The Unifying Force
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
Clone Wars book 2: Shatterpoint

Average writing and good stories:
Thrawn trilogy, and pretty much anything written by Timothy Zhan.
I Jedi.
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Revan Novel

Below average writing, but good stories:
The other two Darth Bane books.
Darth Maul Duology.
New Jedi Order 9: Star by Star
Fate of the Jedi

Below average writing and below average story.
Almost anything written by Karen Traviss and Troy Denning. Some of KT's Republic Commando novels are bearable, as is some of Troy Denning's work in Fate of the Jedi.
I agree except I think Thrawn should be up top. And, I suggest you read Darth Plageuis, great read. Unless you are a actionmonger, there is aciton but not as much as most SW Books. Its just a great stroy and good writing.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

MysticTrunks
01.21.2012 , 08:15 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post

I agree except I think Thrawn should be up top. And, I suggest you read Darth Plageuis, great read. Unless you are a actionmonger, there is aciton but not as much as most SW Books. Its just a great stroy and good writing.
I'm nearly done with the Darth Plageuis book and I have to agree. It's very likely the most political/non-action book I've EVER seen in the SW universe. That said, it's also, I think, one of the most well thought out in terms of the modern Sith and their views on the Force and their reasons for doing what they do. If I didn't know they were dagnasty evil, I'd almost agree with them.

Also how it travels up to the time line of Episode 1 from so far before is pretty interesting. It actually makes the story of Episode 1 meaningful, which I didn't think would ever happen.

LrdStryfe
01.21.2012 , 10:01 PM | #29
Darth Bane: Path of Destruction is so far my favorite SW book. I've probably read it at least 6 times. There are some other good ones, but it's just so full of Sith and Old Republic lore AND being very well written makes it hard to beat. I go back to it while trying to get through other SW books.
Hey man, this is just my opinion - it's just advice. So calm down, it's only a game after all. You can do whatever the **** you wanna do!

Jorander
01.21.2012 , 10:17 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post

I am still around, it is just that the game is out so I don't post nearly as much, the only reason I am not playing now, is I am waiting for some friends of mine to catch up so I can quest with them. The reason I didn't put Thrawn up there with Quality writing as well as good story, and have it as average writing and good story, is because Timothy Zhan, concerning the technical handlings of the written English language, is not as skilled as Stover or Luceno.

He is still good, and the stories he tells are still of incredibly high quality and worthy of recognition. But I personally don't believe he is a true master of the art, not like Stover or Luceno anyway, even though I recognize that he basically breathed life into the EU. As soon as I have the spare coin, I am going to pick up a copy of Darth Plagueis, but I already blew my two previous months' worth of book budget on a deluxe copy of Book of Sith: Secrets of the Dark Side.
"Honor is a fool's prize." Darth Bane
"Love will not condemn you, love will save you." Jolee Bindo
"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." Kreia. The wisest teachers of the force to ever live.