Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS Mercs SUCK.

Trucane
01.09.2012 , 07:56 PM | #21
The biggest problem IMO is how all the melee classes can get up to you so easily. Either with stealth or the retarded jump that has as much range as all your ranged attacks does ( yes makes sense...). Hopefully they make BHs a bit more mobile or give them some more added survivability as it is right now your best bet is that the enemies are focusing someone else so that you can get off a few shots.

Hadlis
01.09.2012 , 07:56 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfeborn View Post

-vs Melee = Keep range ( they have to come to you so they can LOS you by running through you, gotta kill them before that happens)
Unless the melee player does not notice where all this crushing dps is coming from....All they have to do is walk forward 5-10 meters and leap from our extream range...there is no way I can dps them to death in that short of a time. This is bad advice since it's just a pipe dream. Most of the time when I use my knock back on a jedi to get distance the jedi just leaps right back...this is just after they closed the distance to make first contact.

If you get lucky enough to come up against a bad melee who does't use thier interupts you should be able to out dps them with in melee range....but most know how to put an interupt on thier tool bar and seriously gimp our dps by using them.

I still like playing the class....but I would not have picked Merc if I started palying today and saw how bad they are at one on one.

Saying a class is bad at one on one in PLAYER -VS- PLAYER "Definition of one on one" means it's a broken class and needs attention.

I'm going to get all my gear and just start to level another class and wait for the fix...which will make my Merc FOTM sometime in March
Mercenary Bounty Hunter coming to a PvP server near you

Guild= FoE "Fist of the Empire"
Join here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=271844

Skapek-Skocap
01.09.2012 , 10:31 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Werdan View Post
FYI, Cure removes tech and physical based dots and snares. It wouldn't surprise me to know that many Arsenal mercs don't even have it bound to a quickslot.
I don't. I thought Cure only worked for DoTs. I'll try it out. Thanks.
Aka'an Tal - The Mandalorians - Bounty Hunter
-- Verda kat'taylir nass be trattok'o - A warrior knows nothing of defeat - Mand'alor the Indomitable --
Arsenal Mercenary - The Best Class in PvP since the Mandalorian Wars
Spoiler

Xhyron
01.09.2012 , 10:45 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Hadlis View Post
Unless the melee player does not notice where all this crushing dps is coming from....All they have to do is walk forward 5-10 meters and leap from our extream range...there is no way I can dps them to death in that short of a time. This is bad advice since it's just a pipe dream. Most of the time when I use my knock back on a jedi to get distance the jedi just leaps right back...this is just after they closed the distance to make first contact.

If you get lucky enough to come up against a bad melee who does't use thier interupts you should be able to out dps them with in melee range....but most know how to put an interupt on thier tool bar and seriously gimp our dps by using them.

I still like playing the class....but I would not have picked Merc if I started palying today and saw how bad they are at one on one.

Saying a class is bad at one on one in PLAYER -VS- PLAYER "Definition of one on one" means it's a broken class and needs attention.

I'm going to get all my gear and just start to level another class and wait for the fix...which will make my Merc FOTM sometime in March
This is EXACTLY how I feel. One would assume a mercenary would be a mobile force to be reckoned with in 1 on 1 combat. I didn't play this game in beta, nor did I have time to read up on class specifics. I picked the class for what one would assume a bountyhunter would be.

The class is nothing like its in game description, end of story. Give us some mobility. Would it really hurt so much to make that rocket strapped to our back actually work?

LarkBenson
01.10.2012 , 01:03 AM | #25
I understand where a lot of people are coming from in this thread. I've got a 50 merc, full champion except mainhand and bracers, and I've been playing arsenal to grind to valor 60 before I switch back to heals. One game I feel like a god, the next I get steam rolled. It really all depends on whether my side has good heals or their side has a ton of melee. And that's kinda the point with arsenal: more than any other spec/class, your effectiveness is highly dependent on team play and the opposition you face. People don't seem to get that the spec is balanced around the insane burst it can do. It's a glass canon: you're not supposed to have survivability, so stop asking for it.

That being said, there are options. You can embrace the glass cannon playstyle, you can spec pyro for a more mobile playstyle that offers more survivability by virtue of increased mobility, you can spec the hybrid BG/arse spec for great survivability but lowered damage (it's a great 1v1 spec), and you can spec heals. Or you can reroll. But just because the class/spec doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it's broken or done poorly. It just means it isn't for you.

Gadrak
01.10.2012 , 01:19 AM | #26
yep we could use another escape tool (i want to use my frikking jetpack!)but our dps dont suck at all,you just have to gear yourself a little and you are going to have one of the most outrageous DPS in the game

against melee,there is only thing that you can do,burst them down before they burst YOU down,tryng to get assasins off you is impossilble,they have 3 gap closers(stealth pull sprint),when i see an assassin i use the jet boost power surge instant tracer,second tracer,heat seeking missiles,rail unload and rocket,if im lucky enough he will run away,(i cant kill him due to the damn vanish)and if im even more lucky i can catch him with the stealth scan but is very very situational,9 times out of 10 an assassin will faceroll you in any possible way.

i know that the game isnt balanced around 1v1,but there is a little difference between having an hard time and having no chance at all

Murderous
01.10.2012 , 01:23 AM | #27
^ well said. And by the way, time will tell. If the devs notice that a certain class/spec is not being used much, they'll eventually fix it. Personally I plan on getting one of each class to 50 so if i get frustrated with one, I'll just start on another. Btw my main is a merc, and I love it.
Melee with flashy sword= death, so follow jango fett's example and keep them the hell away from you.

Edit: was referring to Lark's comment

Lotusfreek
01.10.2012 , 01:36 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Airees View Post
You do have jet boost... although the CD is sorta long if you don't have gear and spec, when you do (which you should have) it's a core ability that gives you a ton of escapability. You could also argue that rocket punch is a jetpack ability and it also gives a decent amount of escapability if specced.
Rocket punch knocks the target back 4m. The range on almost all melee attacks is 4m. Unless you are pushing them off a ledge, the skill is a lot less useful that people try to pass off. If it had a slow attached to it, it would be great...

My ideal change would be to put Tracer on a 4.5 sec CD. Make it instant. Slight buff to Power Shot damage. Would really free up the spec for more mobility. You could always spam Power Shot if you are left alone in that situation.

xxTYPOxx
01.10.2012 , 01:43 AM | #29
I duno man, I do pretty decent in 1v1 but I specced Werden's bodyguard/arsenal hybrid spec so I have some awesome healing abilities.

Also LOS abit, it will keep you alive long enough to get a few heals off and you can save your electro dart for when your target starts to run.

Oh I also have the Cybertech slowing nade to slow my target so i can get away or stop them from running.

<3

Niks.

jackalious
01.10.2012 , 01:45 AM | #30
I'm still quite new to bounty hunter but will say that as a merc you are a jack of all trades. You are a healer and DPSers however not the best at either. Would be nice to have an escape but if they did it would have a huge cool down timer because if you had the option to jump away from combat then you would have an advange to keep other away from you. Not something AoE people would like. I understand that you have a 30 meter range of attack but if a Jedi/Sith finally made it to you and attacked they closed the gap and only have a 4 meter range with their sabers so you being able to jump away makes it kinda unfair. Also Jedi/Sith have only a 3 second sprint which I think all careers should have their force run do break snares if I'm not mistaken. So far is fair but 30 meters comapred to 4 meters isn't bad for a merc against a saber.