Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taugrim's Guide to Bounty Hunter Powertech Mechanics and PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's Guide to Bounty Hunter Powertech Mechanics and PVP

Talon_Starfire
02.07.2012 , 04:57 PM | #151
Hi Taugrim,
I'm interested in tanking and leveling as well as PvP around L14 and would like to know is Carolina Parakeet the right build for me or do you advise a different build? Also what are the pros & cons of Powertech vs Mercenary? I read your points on your blog but if you would explain the pro & cons more it'd be good.

"You want to tank in PVE and in PVP. By tanking in PVP, I mean that you want to be able to Guard a friendly target, which redirects 50% of the incoming damage from them to you, and be able to Taunt opponents to debuff their damage on your friendlies
You are comfortable engaging in near-quarters (0-10m) combat
You want to maximize your ability to control casters and healers with interrupts
You want to have tools to close gaps to opponents and to increase your in-combat movement speed

You should roll Mercenary (Commando) if:
You want to be able to meaningfully heal yourself and your friendlies
You want to beef up your 30m RDPS capability
You want the option of playing a cast-time nuking spec, Arsenal (Gunnery)
You prefer to have abilities that keep opponents at range and support a gap-control playstyle (e.g. kiting) with CC"

Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Sanzibal
02.08.2012 , 12:30 AM | #152
Why are we stickying some guy who's not actually a powertech. And is it hard to be a powertech? Lets see him write a sentinel guide and then I still wouldn't want him stickied on marauder.

taugrimtaugrim
02.08.2012 , 01:49 AM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanzibal View Post
Why are we stickying some guy who's not actually a powertech. And is it hard to be a powertech? Lets see him write a sentinel guide and then I still wouldn't want him stickied on marauder.
They're mirror classes. I played Powertech to 29 on live. They're the same class, same talents, with minor difference in looks and animations.

At any rate, at level 29 on my Powertech I understood what you don't grasp about Pyrotech at 36: the critical mechanics around Rail Shot.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

Blackire
02.08.2012 , 02:25 AM | #154
@Sanzibal - mate, they're mirror classes. So stop trolling and be helpful.
The Farce is strong in this one.

Talon_Starfire
02.08.2012 , 07:20 AM | #155
Hi Taugrim,
I tried to subscribe to your blog but I get "Your subscription could not be activated, it may have expired"
Please help.
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Talon_Starfire
02.08.2012 , 07:32 AM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_Starfire View Post
Hi Taugrim,
I tried to subscribe to your blog but I get "Your subscription could not be activated, it may have expired"
Please help.
Never mind got it to work
Looking for Sith guild.

Dharagada
02.08.2012 , 09:45 AM | #157
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanzibal View Post
Yes it's horrible to have a single post to reference when someone comes in and asks for the millionth time (may or may not be exaggerating) the same questions regarding different specs, shield mechanics in pvp, rotations etc...

It's especially terrible that vids are included actually showing performance and providing useful tips for pvping in general.

Hrm I'm dangerously close to my sarcasm allotment for the day.

Blackire
02.08.2012 , 10:32 AM | #158
Lets not feed ze troll.
The Farce is strong in this one.

Redklaw
02.09.2012 , 03:26 PM | #159
Please don't take this personally, because I respect the work you put into this guide, but I strongly disagree with your assessment that Integrated Cardio should be taken for PVE Tanking builds (except for hybrid builds such as 21/2/18).

Two of those points are better spent on Iron Fist, which will greatly assist threat generation when taking into account the talents that boost RP in the ST tree. The third point should either be spent on Prototype Cylinders (which will help IGC procs a little bit, which also benefit from the RP buffs in the ST tree) or on Advanced Tools (if you use FT frequently).

Most of the standard tanking builds utilize Iron Fist over Integrated Cardio because at approximately 20k hp Integrated Cardio only adds 600hp, which isn't really worth giving up an extra 8% threat (via damage on both RP and it's IGC proc) on your primary threat generator.

31/8/2 is considered the standard for the Heat Blast build.

Talon_Starfire
02.09.2012 , 05:37 PM | #160
Is Flash Bang a good Interupt to use until Carbonize or what would you advise?
Thanks
Looking for Sith guild.