Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taugrim's Guide to Bounty Hunter Powertech Mechanics and PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's Guide to Bounty Hunter Powertech Mechanics and PVP

taugrimtaugrim
02.02.2012 , 12:05 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by jtfone View Post
If I switched to this build what offhand power gen would you recommend.
Which build? Several are mentioned in the Guide's spec section:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-...and-pvp/#specs
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

taugrimtaugrim
02.02.2012 , 12:07 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Boogypop View Post
The stuff i read in your guide was nice, but a bit to many words for my taste :P I did like that you put up that movie with pros and cons with different specs, some good stuff there.
Can't please everyone

I end up adding a lot of content over time based on the frequently-asked questions posted about the class.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

taugrimtaugrim
02.02.2012 , 12:15 PM | #113
Added PVE specs to the Guide:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/unders...-tanks-in-pvp/

To answer a question I've been getting a lot: yes, you can run my "Iron Fist" PVP tank spec in PVE for Flashpoints in Hard Mode.

I just started running HM Flashpoints in the past week, since I skipped Flashpoints until end-game. Went straight to HM lol.

Running a PVP tank spec for PVE is not optimal obviously, but it works and keeps your re-spec costs down. Just try to get some PVE tanking gear to help out your healer.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Umpire
02.02.2012 , 04:20 PM | #114
What's our defensive stat? In PVE it's Absorption, is it the same way or is defense a better stat for a pvp tank?
The F_Swag Stream. High Caliber PVP and PVE.
[Fancy] Swag, The Turks | Powertech | Jedi Covenant

taugrimtaugrim
02.02.2012 , 04:55 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Umpire View Post
What's our defensive stat? In PVE it's Absorption, is it the same way or is defense a better stat for a pvp tank?
Read this about Defense and Shield:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-...ense-mechanics

and then read this for stat priority for PVP tanks:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-...and-pvp/#stats
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Ineedavacation
02.02.2012 , 06:23 PM | #116
Taugrims guide is invaluable, especially this early in the game. Videos and this level of breakdown and the analysis of the game's offense and defense dynamics is just excellent. All for free too!

If I had a decent guide like this to base decisions on in SWG ten years ago the game would have been much better. There was no option to change skills in that game other than re-level everything and a guide like this early on would have been gold.

Umpire
02.02.2012 , 06:40 PM | #117
I don't see where you rank absorb rating.

PS I see that you like to gear for damage even when tanking but i'm talking about relics; do I want the relic with the def ability or the shield/absorb ability? Your write up makes both of these stats sounds like garbage (which makes complete sense) but there's no math backup.
The F_Swag Stream. High Caliber PVP and PVE.
[Fancy] Swag, The Turks | Powertech | Jedi Covenant

jtfone
02.02.2012 , 07:42 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by taugrimtaugrim View Post
Which build? Several are mentioned in the Guide's spec section:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-...and-pvp/#specs
Hey Taugrim

If I switched to the Ironfist build what offhand power gen would you recommend.

Super Commando Shield Gen or Eliminator Gen.

From reading your articles it seems like shield is pretty well useless? I am primarily interested in a offhand gen that will assist in 1 v 1 vs Sorc, Assassins, Marauders/Juggs.

I also wanted to thank you for your guides and insight. I followed you from Rift and played a tank warrior. Some of the most fun I have ever had with a class.

If you can I would like to see more videos of you in 1 v 1 fights vs geared Sin's, Sorc's, Marauder's, Jugg's and how you defeat them. I find the class lacks significant 1 v 1 utility in comparison to other classes. E.G. The ability to leave a fight when its not looking good. We have no superspeed, super shields, etc.

ducksmyth
02.02.2012 , 08:08 PM | #119
I just read your tanking stats recomendation.

Why do you value accuracy at all?
Tech attacks should be more or less at cap (or over it) to begin and ranged attacks are a very low part of your DPS as a ST spec (only railshot and rapid shots, unload not worth it when getting hit). Surely surge will offer more threat?

The dps stats seem a little off in priority too. What are you basing it on? From what i've read most everywhere else seems to have surge>crit>power till the softcaps then stack power. Again accuracy is very bad as a stat because of tech moves 10% higher hit chance.

taugrimtaugrim
02.03.2012 , 11:08 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Umpire View Post
I don't see where you rank absorb rating.

PS I see that you like to gear for damage even when tanking but i'm talking about relics; do I want the relic with the def ability or the shield/absorb ability? Your write up makes both of these stats sounds like garbage (which makes complete sense) but there's no math backup.
It's been verified by multiple people that you can't Defend or Shield Force or Tech attacks, and therefore the benefit provided by Defense and Shield against those attack types is 0%. That's the only number you need to know.

Defense and Shield do work against Melee and Ranged attacks, so you will see benefit against classes such as GS/Sniper, JK/SW, etc from those stats. But not to the point where you should consider stacking them.

If I switched to the Ironfist build what offhand power gen would you recommend.

Super Commando Shield Gen or Eliminator Gen.
UPDATE (2012/2/2): people have been asking about gear for this spec. Here's what you want to get:
  • Supercommando Shield offhand: to leverage the free +15% Shield Chance buff you get from the tanking stance. While I don't believe the Shield Chance stat is worth stacking for PVP, the +15% benefit is worth leveraging
  • Combat Tech 4-pc set: for the awesome +15% Crit Chance to Rocket Punch (Stockstrike). Alternatively, if you prefer the Supercommando set bonuses, you can go 4-pc Supercommando and swap out the mods for DPS ones
  • Go for DPS stats for the remaining slots: this means Eliminator, Combat Tech, and in some cases Combat Medic. The priority for the stats is what I documented in the Stats and Gear section of my Powertech / Vanguard Guide

From reading your articles it seems like shield is pretty well useless? I am primarily interested in a offhand gen that will assist in 1 v 1 vs Sorc, Assassins, Marauders/Juggs.
You want the Shield offhand, it will help against Assassin, Mara/Jugs, and Snipers.

Are you trying to kill people on your own faction (Huttball?)?

I also wanted to thank you for your guides and insight. I followed you from Rift and played a tank warrior. Some of the most fun I have ever had with a class.
You're welcome!

If you can I would like to see more videos of you in 1 v 1 fights vs geared Sin's, Sorc's, Marauder's, Jugg's and how you defeat them. I find the class lacks significant 1 v 1 utility in comparison to other classes. E.G. The ability to leave a fight when its not looking good. We have no superspeed, super shields, etc.
I find that Iron Fist rocks against other tanks and DPS in 1v1s.

I'm in the process of making "Daily" videos that feature 1v1s and small-scale fighting. E.g. here's my video of 1v1s against a Jug and against an Assassin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRCQf4cFghQ
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com