Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whats better SWTOR or galaxies?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Whats better SWTOR or galaxies?

rossonja
01.09.2012 , 02:34 PM | #11
Played galaxies for about 7 years. Loved every minute. Galaxies has more content overall than any other MMO I have ever played. People got whiney after a big patch and all quit because they couldn't adapt to the changes. Yes, the changes kinda sucked, but I kept playing and enjoyed it until the very last day. The player economy was great. The crafting system had more details than any game will ever accomplish, I strongly believe. The space combat was amazing. There were atleast 50 different ships and you could customize them entirely. You could go anywhere in space. You could go anywhere on any planet. No boundaries. Period. There were more classes, pvp was better and more enjoyable, etc. Way too many things to describe about galaxies if you have never played. Just an amazing game all around. Wish they never woulda shut it down and it woulda gotten a new population to keep it going. SWG 4 Life!!!

Alyiah
01.09.2012 , 02:35 PM | #12
Galaxies' crafting, customization and community were good.

SWTOR has it beat in every other aspect. Hopefully the community catches up.
Master Kaji'da Ito
Crimson Island, Est 2003
Krayt Dragon Server

Graeson
01.09.2012 , 02:37 PM | #13
SWG was so amazingly bad. I was so excited for the release but was even more excited to stop playing after wasting a weekend playing the game. Tried it a few times after some updates, but was always fail. Player owned cities, the way they were implemented were horrible IMO, there was nothing as exciting as running randomly through the wilderness and happening upon a "player" city which involved nothing but empty houses where people just displayed their crap.

One thing I would love would be to actually have a customized ship. Something that graphically looks different than the 200k people that are playing the same class.
Superstition is the religion of feeble minds.

Darth_Syphilis
01.09.2012 , 02:39 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by rossonja View Post
  • The crafting system had more details than any game will ever accomplish, I strongly believe. The space combat was amazing.
  • There were atleast 50 different ships and you could customize them entirely.
  • You could go anywhere in space.
  • You could go anywhere on any planet. No boundaries. Period.
  • There were more classes
Yes, good points -- the crafting and resource harvesting -- it can NEVER be understated how great those were.

And said ships about -- weren't many player crafted?

Too early for me to conclude about PVP in SWtOR as I have yet to be in a World PVP area -- but that in and of itself is sort of a negative for me already -- the fact that I am level 25 and have not happened upon any player enemies....

The no boundaries thing was something cool, though to be more detailed, there were level boundaries in the sense that the creature population kept lower level players in certain areas -- unless they wanted to get torn to pieces by a Krayt if they wandered too far out of Mos Whatever

Darth_Syphilis
01.09.2012 , 02:42 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Graeson View Post
SWG was so amazingly bad. ...Player owned cities, the way they were implemented were horrible IMO, there was nothing as exciting as running randomly through the wilderness and happening upon a "player" city which involved nothing but empty houses where people just displayed their crap.
I agree with this too -- MOST of the player cities ruined many planets' landscapes. The "zoning" should have been better controlled as to where you could build in mass numbers. They could have really made it part of the game -- e.g. guilds could battle in PVP for a specific plot of land and then build there and there could be a timer of once a month or something wherein they could be challenged and then would have to move or something if they lost....maybe

Amaste
01.09.2012 , 02:43 PM | #16
Not possible to compare the two fairly. Both were good games, just depended on what you wanted out of a MMO.

If you wanted to forge your own adventure and create a personal identity while interacting with people along the way, then SWG was better.

If you prefer to be handed a story and archetype for your character for the purpose of finishing standard content, then TOR is better.
Alcoheälic, Leguim, Dück, Viothin, Amaste

Stop Resisting

sinnaman
01.09.2012 , 02:44 PM | #17
You needed a brain to play and enjoy SWG when it launched.

This game is better for a lot of people.
"We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C-3PO from Star Wars - A New Hope

ibage
01.09.2012 , 02:44 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by slyvarius View Post
SWG had some amazing features that TOR does not. Player run/built cities. Sandbox space flight. Sandbox planets in general. Atmospheric flight.

TOR does have things that SWG never did though. Good graphics, great story, better end game.
SWG never had atmospheric flight and for it's time, the graphics were amazing.

I agree with the other sentiments.

RageFit
01.09.2012 , 02:49 PM | #19
can't really compare them sorry, swtor is a themepark as in you get on the ride and that's it you're strapped in and cant do much when it comes to changing parts of the ride to your liking, swg how ever is a sandbox where you get to for the most part build your own roller coaster and rides.

for me personally i would have to say swtor for playing solo, swg any day of the week for being a mmo, i am very biased though since i typically hate everything about a themepark style mmo and find sandbox to be the most enjoyable part of the mmo industry, i will without a doubt a few months down the road be unsubed from swtor and probably playing SWG(emu), eve and darkfall like usual.

Malefik
01.09.2012 , 02:59 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by rossonja View Post
Played galaxies for about 7 years. Loved every minute. Galaxies has more content overall than any other MMO I have ever played. People got whiney after a big patch and all quit because they couldn't adapt to the changes. Yes, the changes kinda sucked, but I kept playing and enjoyed it until the very last day. The player economy was great. The crafting system had more details than any game will ever accomplish, I strongly believe. The space combat was amazing. There were atleast 50 different ships and you could customize them entirely. You could go anywhere in space. You could go anywhere on any planet. No boundaries. Period. There were more classes, pvp was better and more enjoyable, etc. Way too many things to describe about galaxies if you have never played. Just an amazing game all around. Wish they never woulda shut it down and it woulda gotten a new population to keep it going. SWG 4 Life!!!
Pre cu when you entered the game for the first time you were a babe in the woods with a melon and a cdef pistol. The Galaxy was yours. You could make your charater your own with a mix and match of skills. Your actions had meaning. With every combat action you gained or lost faction pts with about 30+ factions. LvL up as a noob on Jabba's thieves, later in the game you couldn't do his missions unless you fixed your standing with him. Not to mention every time you went some where controlled by his faction you would get attacked if your standing was minus enough. If you played for the whole 8 years there would still be planets that you missed things on.

One big thing SWG had going for it was the Time Line. Its was a real treat to see places and faces from the movies.

They are two different style games. Nobody can answere that question for you. Only you would be able to answere it for yourself. Its a shame that you will never be able to.
BLESSED DARKNESS
~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~
~~x~~x~~> May the Dark Light shine! <~~x~~x~~

Serving the Dark Side since 1999