Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whats better SWTOR or galaxies?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Whats better SWTOR or galaxies?

STL-Phantom
01.09.2012 , 12:47 PM | #1
ive never played galaxies and i love swtor but whats better?
What goes up must come down....unless you can fly

adamqd
01.09.2012 , 01:18 PM | #2
doesn't matter now unfortunately

community/member.php?u=495
Need more inter-faction interaction! Come on, its an MMO!

Jadedfate
01.09.2012 , 01:27 PM | #3
SWTOR by far...SWG was terrible..tried it on release...lasted about 2 months...horrid. Tried it a few more times over the years...always horrid.

slyvarius
01.09.2012 , 01:28 PM | #4
SWG had some amazing features that TOR does not. Player run/built cities. Sandbox space flight. Sandbox planets in general. Atmospheric flight.

TOR does have things that SWG never did though. Good graphics, great story, better end game.

Sorgrim
01.09.2012 , 01:38 PM | #5
SWG had tools that allowed players to customize aspects of their game. You could make player cities, own a house, upgrade starships and simply roam around, even. You didn't even have to touch the ground-component.

SWTOR is better, IMO, but could benefit from some of the things SWG had that I listed above.
"Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it." - Darth Bane.

Foxfirega
01.09.2012 , 01:50 PM | #6
Apples =/= oranges.

SWG had a more sand-box environment, TOR has a more 'standard' MMO setup. It was the same problem with comparing it with other MMOs of it's time.

There aren't enough sandbox MMOs on the market with a true, serious sandbox nature to even give it a solid comparison of if it was a good sandbox-MMO or not (as AFAIK it's only real, serious competition in that regard was EVE Online; I'd love someone to point out others, because off the top of my head that's about it).

TOR is still in 'launch' phase, and we likely shouldn't make any hard judgments until ~3 months out. Then we can get a better idea of not only the mechanics involved, but how the development team handles fixing problems and responding to player feedback (on the short scale - on the long scale, 6 months and 12 months are better benchmarks for developer responsiveness).

Even if both were still out, though, that wouldn't preclude you from playing both or just the one of your choosing. Asking for other people's subjective opinions is nice, but only you can decide if something is 'better' for your specific user criteria. Some people supplying information may just be biased, after all.
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

LukeSaberRattler
01.09.2012 , 02:08 PM | #7
Well I played Galaxies for 10 days before giving it up. I have been playing SWTOR since early access and don't see stopping before I have a character for every class at 50!!

Jesira
01.09.2012 , 02:18 PM | #8
Swtor

Darth_Syphilis
01.09.2012 , 02:30 PM | #9
Some things SWG had that are missing in SWtOR, but that's about it.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/08/5-...public-better/

and below (with some repeats and the last should be omitted as something horrid):
http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/12/swg-memories/

I did love the resource and crafting on SWG much better - very deep, but Bioware was going more mainstream with theirs -- which I can understand.

The number of classes in the original SWG was pretty impressive too.

It just lacked a lot of actual "action" gameplay (i.e. quests were minimal, instances were meh, etc).

P.S. Still leveling in SWtOR -- really enjoying leveling (which speaks VOLUMES about it versus ALL other MMO's) -- so it's a bit early, but I can already say it is much better and seems to keep getting better. With that said, the above are some things I will miss but not to the detriment of the overall experience of SWtOR.

bakedpotter
01.09.2012 , 02:32 PM | #10
Galaxies had some of the coolest MMO features youll ever see that worked very well. I hope Bioware aspires to get at that level for the side features ONLY (traveling, player cities, open world). The gameplay was not that great (bad by todays standards) and I will not miss that.