Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do sages make any use of their lightsabers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Do sages make any use of their lightsabers

kithsyn
12.14.2011 , 06:17 PM | #11
Yes, I LOVE the idea of a saber throw, even if they don't give the saber more functionality.

I mean, remember, the Emporer? While his best strenght was his Force powers, he basically went tow-to-tow with Mace.

Would be nice to see more functionality other than looking sweet.

OCoChoco
12.14.2011 , 09:07 PM | #12
i think the idea of a cost free attack with your lightsabre is so that its used frequently when out of force... i couldnt really see someone continually throwing there lightsabre or it being fast enough to warrant being thrown.

Archaegeo
12.15.2011 , 07:16 PM | #13
Its nice for roasting marshmellows and makes a heck of a nightlight
INVICTUS
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Felioats
12.15.2011 , 07:40 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by OCoChoco View Post
i think the idea of a cost free attack with your lightsabre is so that its used frequently when out of force... i couldnt really see someone continually throwing there lightsabre or it being fast enough to warrant being thrown.
When soloing at low levels, I have found that it only takes a few seconds for force to regen to the point that you can use another ability. You wouldn't be spamming it.

They could even take away your deflect ability during the attack and put it on a short cooldown. I just want something.

Another option would be some sort of mini-Disturbance telekinetic ability that piffs them for a little damage, but I like the saber throw because it solves two problems at once (no free attack or use for lightsaber for Sages)

I really hope Bioware is reading this.

ChuangTzu
12.15.2011 , 09:16 PM | #15
Stopped using mine at lvl 6.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Sindorin
12.15.2011 , 11:01 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Wheldrake View Post
Run out of force? That would be very odd. Played to level 37 in beta and never once did I actually fully deplete myself to the point of only being able to swing a saber, and that still costs points to do by the way.

Your not playing properly then, that is for sure...

Masta-Blasta - Vanguard

Sindorin - Assassin

Prescient
12.16.2011 , 12:28 AM | #17
Yoda used his lightsaber...

Emperor Palpatine used his lightsaber...

Every Jedi or Sith used lightsabers...

No Jedi or Sith ever wore dresses (another issue, but one that I'm still having issue with)...

There shouldn't be a free ranged ability for the Sage, their should be a spec that makes a Sage a melee/ranged hybrid.

Nothing the Sage does mirrors what we've seen in lore - using the Force and not a lightsaber at all. At best, they are all hybrids.

'Nuff said! (or, at least, all I have to say on the matter)

KivanSane
12.16.2011 , 04:31 AM | #18
The light saber is whatever you want it to be.

You have a free attack (ie: no force poitns) that you can set up as the right click , and a decent damage (double strike) for when things get up close.

The interesting thing about the double strike ability is that you start out the battle with full force, and a lot of force since you're a "mage" , and it's a high damage ability. So you can put out a lot of damage by spaming that one ability very very quickly.

Of course you have few defences so if you're facing something tough that might not work out so hot. But if the tank has the mobs attention the option to step in and dump damage on him is there.

Of course, some bosses do the bunny hop all over the map, in which case you're better off just throwing ranged attacks until something runs up to you. And if you're a sage / healer , you probably removed all abilities and deligated it to the status of "stat stick" a long time ago. Which is fair enough. Sages have a wide range of ablities and you can't keep them all hot keyed.
Survey says : need more story....but we already have more story than anyone else ! ... too bad. need more story.

Claymaniac
12.16.2011 , 06:22 AM | #19
I use it only to look cool from time to time. At lv18 my strength is about 49 and Willpower is about 190. Makes sense to just be a pure caster. Its not like running out of force has been an issue.

Specially with Qyzen tanking, having induction skills being interrupted isn't a big issue either.
Skeksis: Jedi Sage on Prophecy of the Five. P5 FTW!!!

Jadalyn
12.16.2011 , 09:45 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindorin View Post
Your not playing properly then, that is for sure...
Or this person is a couple of levels above the quests he is on - and doesn't have to try.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.