Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Jedi Knights PvP gear is unacceptably pathetic. Be united against it!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Jedi Knights PvP gear is unacceptably pathetic. Be united against it!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GavNash's Avatar


GavNash
01.10.2012 , 12:45 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by NeonLights View Post
You bring great shame to the BioWare Damiyo. You will wear your uniform proudly and fight for the Shogunate! If you do not approve of such gifts your Jedi will be forced to commit seppuku in order to restore your Legacy's honor.
Lmao, well crafted.

Arodin's Avatar


Arodin
01.10.2012 , 12:51 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Hi Alexious,

Style is something that is very subjective and what some people love, others find unacceptable. The solution to that lies in allowing players to control their own style, a function that the core game currently provides via customizable (orange) gear.

Please see Emmanuel's post on extending orange gear viability into endgame to get an idea of our intentions. Obviously, new appearances will also be added to the game over time as well.

Regards
Georg
I think there should be a certain stylistic consistency for each class. The armor designers should have guidelines on each class that lists certain iconic characteristics, and each armor they design should incorporate most or all of those characteristics. I don't see how this C3PO/samurai costume is stylistically appropriate for a Jedi Knight. I'm not sure it's stylistically appropriate for any SWTOR class (maybe BH?) but that's another story.

The fact that we can use custom orange gear to control our style should NOT mean that the artists do not have a responsibility to maintain this stylistic consistency. Just because I can use a level 10 customizable Jedi robe doesn't make it OK for the artists to create something ridiculous for level 50 PvP gear. You do not want players who put in the time and effort to obtain high level armors to feel disappointed because the look is goofy or not consistent with the iconic style of their class and immediately dump it for their old level 10 custom robe.

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
01.10.2012 , 12:51 PM | #83
Here is why I don't like it:

1. It is "helmet heavy". The helmet is way too big for the armor set. It looks like the jedi is top heavy and its awkward.

2. Poor choice in aesthetics. Why copy a samurai? Even though Lucas got his inspiration from the samurai it is silly to copy that in game. The Jedi have no idea what a "samurai" is!

3. I know this is in the past and "style" might have been different, including armor, but the gear just doesn't look like a jedi. Some armor plates are fine but where is the jedi cloth? Where is the hood? Even if you don't want to go that route, there should be something about the style that says "jedi". This just looks like they missed the point. Again, ARMOR is fine but do something that says JEDI!
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

SBite's Avatar


SBite
01.10.2012 , 12:58 PM | #84
The way Republic gear looks now it will only make server imbalances bigger. If BW is wondering why their servers are imbalanced just to look at gear differences between Republic and Empire and they will find half of the answer - the other half is how abilities look between factions. In pve tier gear male consular looks like nun, its pathetic. If republic future gear doesn't begin to look attractive for ppl below age of 60 then republic may almost disappear from the game - like my whole guild that changed faction and am the last one refusing to give up seeing every new gear for every slot being more "so 70s" than the previous. When I see end game PVP/PVE gear not only on vendors but equipped on me I expect to give up on republic and stop trying to be from the ones to keep some server balance.

Game_Hermit's Avatar


Game_Hermit
01.10.2012 , 01:07 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Hi Alexious,

Style is something that is very subjective and what some people love, others find unacceptable. The solution to that lies in allowing players to control their own style, a function that the core game currently provides via customizable (orange) gear.

Please see Emmanuel's post on extending orange gear viability into endgame to get an idea of our intentions. Obviously, new appearances will also be added to the game over time as well.

Regards
Georg
No George jedi not wearing samurai helmets is completely objective. Further, your statement about style being subjective goes both ways. Sure, there might be some nut out there who thinks Picasso is a bad painter, but you don't hire him for your art department when 99% of the world disagrees. In cases of subjective stuff the majority opinion is what matters. You can justify all you want, but if most players think it's bad it needs to be changed. The game is for us, not for some weirdo with bad taste in your art department. Whether I'm right and your argument is invalid or whether I'm wrong and it is, either way the design objectively needs to be changed when the majority of its target audience hates it. As another poster above said; it's also objectively bad design when it's radically inconsistent with the style of the rest of the gear of a class. Especially so when visual consistency has been stated by devs as one of the stylistic goals for classes.
Han shot first.

Tatanka's Avatar


Tatanka
01.10.2012 , 01:34 PM | #86
That Iron Samurai Man-3PO armor would rule the battlefield. All you would have to do is run around performing finishing moves on all of the Imperials stunned by their own laughter.

On the bright side, at least it doesn't have a hood.
Leadership is a matter of intelligence, trustworthiness, humaneness, courage, and discipline...
Vanguard... "I'm on point!"

Pherex's Avatar


Pherex
01.10.2012 , 01:38 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Hi Alexious,

Style is something that is very subjective and what some people love, others find unacceptable. The solution to that lies in allowing players to control their own style, a function that the core game currently provides via customizable (orange) gear.

I don't think anyone loves being a wannabetrooperspacesamuraijedi.

ryanvward's Avatar


ryanvward
01.10.2012 , 01:43 PM | #88
For some reason I like it.

TheLakers's Avatar


TheLakers
01.10.2012 , 01:46 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by ryanvward View Post
For some reason I like it.
Welcome to the 1%

Aaryndon's Avatar


Aaryndon
01.10.2012 , 01:49 PM | #90
My problem, Mr. Zoeller, is that your argument is predicated on the armor being of equal quality in terms of design and art direction to other options.

99.99% of this game is gorgeous. Environments, armors, creatures, etc. And while I may not PERSONALLY like all the armor options I see for a given class, I can appreciate how they are appropriate, well made, and likely to be enjoyed by other players.

THIS armor is none of those things... it looks like low level trooper or BH armor, and shows none of the "quality" vibes you get from other high level gear.

I'm not averse to the idea of ARMOR for Jedi, but I think this armor doesn't look like something an agile swordsman would wear. And more IMPORTANTLY this armor is not a mark a prestige or accomplishment. High level sith armor says "I am a SITH LORD", and is worn with pride as a mark of greatness.

I feel ashamed to wear this armor to a Warzone, as I feel I look just like the level 17 commando I'm standing next to in the spawn area.

Here's hoping someone directs this to the art team... I really think this set just doesn't hit the same BIOWARE STANDARD as everything else; an admittedly high bar, but you guys really knocked it out of the park with some scary/awesome looks for the other classes and that makes us Knights just feel left out.

We should look regal, powerful, lordly, and ready for fast, acrobatic combat. I hope to see more armor AND robes that bring those words to mind. Thanks.