Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game Randomly Closes to Dekstop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Game Randomly Closes to Dekstop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

rkspeck
02.27.2012 , 05:24 PM | #21
Can I get an update on this? it is still doing it......
Orynn - Marauder

"The Council"

Cerimon
02.27.2012 , 06:18 PM | #22 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings All,

The following players should run the Fixlauncher utility from their game installation folder: DravenMasters and Oudomou
The following players should run the Repair utility from their launcher: Undescribable and rkspeck
The following players should update their video driver from the manufacturers website: Oudomou and rkspeck

For instructions on how to update your Graphics card drivers please see here.

For the players above who still have an issue and newcomers to this thread please see the following troubleshooting steps for crashing problems:

The most common solution to this issue is making sure everything is up to date. Before you email Customer Service, please ensure that you have checked the following:
  • Check that your Graphics card has the most recent drivers installed. For instructions on how to update your Graphics card drivers please see here.

• You should make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system. For further details please check here

• You should check that you have the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your operating system including the optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features.

• If you have QuickTime installed, please make sure it is up to date.

• You should try using the 'Repair' utility on the launcher. To do this please click on the button located in the bottom left hand corner of the launcher window. This will open a settings menu where you will be able to find and click on the 'Repair' button.

• If you are experiencing this issue after having installed the game from a physical copy, please try running the Fixlauncher.exe located in your installation directory. This is located by default at:
    • 32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
    • 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
If this didn't work try downloading the installer from www.swtor.com/download and running this over your existing installation.

Please also ensure that your computer meets the minimum specifications required to run the game.

Please also add your information to the relevant link in the following post to help us diagnose these issues: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...35#edit1483235

If you are still encountering this issue after checking all of the above, please contact Customer Service.
Please include a DXDiag of your system, your most recent client logs and a description of the exact error encountered.

OBTAINING A DXDIAG FILE:
1. Press Windows Key + R
2. Enter in the following window “DxDiag” and press ENTER or “OK”.
Depending on the OS, you may have to confirm a popup window, to include WHQL signatures. It is safe to
press YES/OK here.
3. Now you have the “DirectX Diagnostic Tool” open
4. Click on “Save All Information…” and save the file at any location convenient (default: Desktop)
The saved file is now available under the location previously chosen.

The client log files are located by default in the installation folder at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs

Thank You for playing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Mainster
02.27.2012 , 06:57 PM | #23
For me it only happens on my Imperial toon. My trooper I can play all day.

gumnutza
02.27.2012 , 07:01 PM | #24
I've been playing since July and have never had a CTD, tonight it's happened to me 3 times in a row.

rkspeck
02.27.2012 , 07:07 PM | #25
1. I have the latest drivers
2. Repaired twice, nothing...
Orynn - Marauder

"The Council"

Urbansandz
02.27.2012 , 07:56 PM | #26
I've been having this issue on and off since launch and, at least for me, it's been totally dependent on the patch. One patch no CTDs, next patch constant CTDs. It's been going like this for months and I'm pretty sure I'm a sucker for hanging around this long.

I've dealt directly with customer service and, of course, I've gone through the same wash, rinse, repeat, steps offered by all the CS representatives. I've sent logs, dxdiag, reliability, etc.... For those of us experiencing this issue the game is virtually unplayable and the best we can get from CS is the same old laundry list as if actually read from a droid.

If I have no crashes with some patches and constant crashes with other patches then I think it's reasonable to believe there may be something wrong with this game.

Oudomou
02.28.2012 , 01:45 AM | #27
Updated to the latest drivers, still happened to me twice. Once on huttball and once on Voss.
If Tetris has taught me anything, it's that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
King for a day, Batman Forever.

ThaskXantium
02.28.2012 , 05:28 PM | #28
I've been having this problem since the lastest patch. The game randomly closes to desktop. I've uninstalled, reinstalled and updated all drivers in my pc. I have a Dxdiag log saved, but I can't find a way to attach a file on here and when I open it, it's just a bunch of symbols, same for the log files in the swtor client.

I would really love for this issue to be resolved. It's ruining my game experience and after the whole, "Leveling my BH to 50 with all the abilities not activating after hitting them 7 times in a row." issue, I'm just really fed up with experiencing endgame content and having it CTD every 20 minutes or every other warzone/every other boss etc...

I also forgot to mention that I've run the repair tool in the launcher MULTIPLE times to no avail.

ThaskXantium
03.01.2012 , 02:50 AM | #29
It's pretty much been a day now, so Bump.

Selai
03.01.2012 , 04:19 AM | #30
Happens frequently to me on certain toons, I ran all the reccomended steps to fix the problem and scanned all hardware and found no faults.

I did note however It only seems to happen on the Characters I have a - or an ' in the name of.