Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Bloodscorn
01.10.2012 , 08:11 PM | #891
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
I'm guessing it's either going to be 'you need more vram', 'the high res textures take too much memory for a 32 bit program to handle', or a combination of the two, and they've consequently disabled them.

The big questions as I've said are what they intend to do about it in the future: will it detect if you have enough vram and unlock the option? Will they think about unlocking it later when more people have enough vram? Do they need to release a 64 bit client in order to use them properly, and if so, are they going to? If they are going to release a 64 bit client, approximately when? Will we need to completely reinstall to use it?(Probably would, I'm suspecting)
The client is already 64bit.

Tiron_Raptor
01.10.2012 , 08:13 PM | #892
Quote: Originally Posted by Bloodscorn View Post
The client is already 64bit.
Not unless you got a different client than I do. Mine is oh-so-clearly 32 bit. I haven't seen or heard anything about a separate 64 bit client either.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Bloodscorn
01.10.2012 , 08:16 PM | #893
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
Not unless you got a different client than I do. Mine is oh-so-clearly 32 bit.
Then it is at least large address aware as it shows up that way in a program I can use to check that.

Toweleeeie
01.10.2012 , 08:22 PM | #894
Quote: Originally Posted by fredspekvet View Post
Indeed.. I'm sure they think its quite the joke. and i'm betting we're not going to get the answer we want , if we get an answer at all. I'm sure it's all on purpose and "insert technical babble here" and we'll just have to wait and see if it's ever going to get fixed, just like the junk engine the game is built on (my next char will be named Darth Framedrop or Darth Stutterfps).

Anyway , lets hope for the best.. because this game DOES have the potential to be great . everyone can see it , lets hope the dev's do too.
Yeah name your toon something f***ing stupid, that will show them!!! /s

I wish i could punch you through the internet
I like turtles

Tiron_Raptor
01.10.2012 , 08:23 PM | #895
Quote: Originally Posted by Bloodscorn View Post
Then it is at least large address aware as it shows up that way in a program I can use to check that.
I know WOW64 by default allocates only 2GB of RAM to programs it runs, but can be set to allow them 4GB if a flag is set. Could be that, perhaps?

I've seen it balloon as high as 3.8 GB (which crashed it) under the influence of memory leaks, so that pretty much has to be set.

You can easily check the 64 or 32 bit status of a program running on 64 bit windows by using the task manager: Hit ctrl+shift+esc to bring it up (bypasses the screen that pops up on ctrl+alt+del and opens it directly), then hit the processes tab. 32Bit processes have a '*32' next to their name. With SWTOR running, you should see two 'swtor.exe *32' processes running, one of which is using a lot more memory than the other (why there's two, I have no idea, but killing either one closes the game).

An additional confirmation is that 64 bit Windows has two program files folders: ..\program files\ and ..\program files (x86)\ . the (x86) is for 32 bit programs and is where SWTOR gets stashed by default.

This does have me wondering what this mysterious second process is for...
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Vehlin
01.10.2012 , 08:27 PM | #896
Quote: Originally Posted by Norbix View Post
There's a lot of assumption in this post. AFAIK they licensed hero engine at an early stage and Bioware used their own engineers to modify the engine heavily to its needs. Either way, none of us in this thread have any experience with game engines anyway so any speculation on the matter is pointless. And the high res texture are actually in the game, that's been proven over 180 pages of thread.
I didn't put words in your mouth so I 'd kindly as the same courtesy. With regards to engines I know a reasonable amount. When I tell you that HE has never been used in a released game I'm not speculating, it hasnt other than SWTOR. I don't care how good BW's developers are, you don't just pick up something as complicated as a game engine and 'make it work' with a few mods.

High res textures are indeed in the game, in two very tightly controlled environments where there is only yourself, your companion and the NPC present. My point is valid, you don't pull something that works. If it worked it would be in, if there were a short term fix they'd both have removed the options on PTR. The issue is LIKELY (note assumption) with either the engine or a problem with the 32bit address limit.

Yes I am speculating, I am however; speculating from a considered standpoint. This is an issue I care about, I've stopped playing Skyrim until either we get a highres release or the modders finish their task. Current SWTOR textures look worse than WOW I've got a side by side comparison of the Jedi robes next to some top end WOW ones to compare if you don't believe me.

I might look at a cloudy sky and say it'll likely rain. I'm speculating, but you'll still be just as wet if I'm right.

Cathgarr
01.10.2012 , 08:27 PM | #897
One is the launcher and one is the game.

harpuax
01.10.2012 , 08:33 PM | #898
It's too bad. Someone at Bioware spent allot of hours creating some really nice textures and currently their work is all for nothing, since all we see is a muddy mess (mostly on gear). Kinda feel bad for these artists.

Anyway my solution is to look for gear that is solid colors and has the least amount of texturing on them, just so my char looks good. I know it's only cosmetic but I see this char for hours every time I play, I don't want him/her to be an eye sore.

I expect Bioware to come up with some wordy technical response that ends with the phrase "we want to do it right". In the end If we were going to see a fix anytime soon they would have said so by now.

Mystais
01.10.2012 , 08:35 PM | #899
Not sure what you all are doing but I followed a few fixes I read about it the customer service forum and my textures look pretty good.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j93/Mystais/pic.jpg

This is cropped down to reduce the image size.

Just put the game's exe ( .../swtor/retailclient/swtor.exe ) in compatibility mode for XP Svc Pck 3 and also gave it admin priv.
Also in prefs I lowered textures to low and applied then back to high and applied and textures look fine on my end.

Tiron_Raptor
01.10.2012 , 08:35 PM | #900
Quote: Originally Posted by Cathgarr View Post
One is the launcher and one is the game.
The launcher is Launcher.exe, not Swtor.exe . When you start the game, two SWTOR.exe processes start and the launcher closes.