Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

carnac_fett
01.10.2012 , 05:46 PM | #811
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Hey all, I am here to apologize again... the good news is we have a draft of our response (you might be able to guess it's not a sentence or two) but I am circulating it internally to ensure my technical details are correct.

To give you an insight into our process here... as the Community team does with most big replies, I tracked down a variety of people on our client and art teams to get the facts on how the game works before putting the post together. As I'm representing those teams publicly, I want to ensure they're happy with what I'm saying on their behalf before I post it. They're busy people, so I'm just waiting on their sign-off right now.

I appreciate your patience and assuming we have sign-off this evening, you'll get our response tomorrow. If not, I accept the incoming rotten eggs.
Well, thanks for the update.

Can't say I'm looking forward to reading what will likely be a politely-phrased version of "yeah it's really broken so forget it" tomorrow, though.
Safeguard - Jedi Guardian - Harbinger (US)

DirtyDozen
01.10.2012 , 05:47 PM | #812
Hey all, I am here to apologize again... the good news is we have a draft of our response (you might be able to guess it's not a sentence or two) but I am circulating it internally to ensure my technical details are correct.

To give you an insight into our process here... as the Community team does with most big replies, I tracked down a variety of people on our client and art teams to get the facts on how the game works before putting the post together. As I'm representing those teams publicly, I want to ensure they're happy with what I'm saying on their behalf before I post it. They're busy people, so I'm just waiting on their sign-off right now.

I appreciate your patience and assuming we have sign-off this evening, you'll get our response tomorrow. If not, I accept the incoming rotten eggs.
*readies the rotten egg*

Hey thanks for giving us something in the meantime. I do understand there's complications in regards to making statements on behalf of several departments.
Squadron 238

Oddzball
01.10.2012 , 05:47 PM | #813
Quote: Originally Posted by fredspekvet View Post
Wrong. conventional AA doesnt blur textures, only the edges surrounding the polygons. removing the jigsaw effect , or as some people call them "jaggy's" . has nothing to do with the actual textures themselves.
What i meant to say;

Anisotropic filteringCan help with textures.(My bad, fixed)

But it basically takes samples (of which you can change the multipliter) of pixels and aggregates colour values to smooth them out.

High levels of AF can make things look very blurry.

So with AF enabled your bad textures will just look like blurry bad textures.

Vandrago
01.10.2012 , 05:48 PM | #814
Quote: Originally Posted by Saregon View Post
Just trying to put the right spin on the bad news, I understand exactly what you're saying.
This. How hard is it to say, were putting hi-res back, or were not, or here's why they aren't there.
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
People like you are the reason I wish it was possible to throw a punch through the internet.

skepticck
01.10.2012 , 05:49 PM | #815

Quote: Originally Posted by Saregon View Post
Just trying to put the right spin on the bad news, I understand exactly what you're saying.
yea lets give the PR teem some more time to try to spin this in a positive way,
i guess now we all know what's coming.

wow this is ... precious

Aisar
01.10.2012 , 05:49 PM | #816
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandrago View Post
This. How hard is it to say, were putting hi-res back, or were not, or here's why they aren't there.
It's a yes or no question which is why I am kinda angry right now.
28 Iksar Shadowknight-Freeport Server
"No killing white poobears to make band-aids out of poobear tails."-CygnusMX
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414

fredspekvet
01.10.2012 , 05:50 PM | #817
Quote: Originally Posted by skepticck View Post
We're not.

They can say whatever they want, it doesn't make it true.

But of course some people will believe it, some people will believe anything.
Yeah right.

I'm running a Core i5 750 @ 3.33 ghz, 12 gb ram and a 6950 2gb card and with everything maxxed out i'm getting HUGE framedrops and framespikes. and at the strangest moments , too. like when walking under a (ugly, not to mention) waterfall or looking at a bloomed object at close range. or when running through a station, it'll run fine one moment and then drop to 20 fps for NO reason , only to go back up again to 45-60 in 10 seconds..

Anyhow. i'm FAR beyond recommended specs and at some points, the performance is absolutely sub-par. I cant even remember running a game that ran this bad. and this is actually on a FRESH windows installation with the very latest drivers, application profiles and what not..

And then I havent even mentioned that all my other games run perfectly smooth, including one of today's heaviest games, Battlefield 3 (No framelag @ caspian border with 64 players) and that game looks a lot better (for comparison only) .

And that's what their big statement is going to be. Most people dont have the problem, so just update your drivers and stop whining. Be assured that the matter is kept under close watch. wait for another patch. We are looking into it.. same ****, different day.

I really LOVE the game, and that's what makes me so angry. that , even IF we are a minority, which I seriously doubt (my friends have similar pc's and none of their copy's is running good , at some points yes, but mostly mediocre) , we still have a right to get a decent explenation and a fix , because we are paying YOU , bioware. not the other way around.

Another thing.. What do you think this is ? some kind of joke, Bioware? people posting for days and days on end because they hate you? or dont like the game? we love it , that's what makes us post here.. we wouldnt if we thought the game was crap...

Tiron_Raptor
01.10.2012 , 05:52 PM | #818
Quote: Originally Posted by Aisar View Post
You need to check with them to make sure what you are saying sounds good to the people you are talking about? Umm...

Getting the facts straight is very important. Having them write the response and give it to you is not.
The way he phrased it actually sounds like the answer is probably along the lines of 'We've turned them off on purpose, and this is why:' with an explanation about some technical problem/issue or another.

The man himself doesn't know and/or may not understand all the details of the issue himself, and wants to ask the people who DO know the systems to make sure he doesn't get anything wrong.

The open question is if they intend to re-enable them at some point: changing the options on PTR suggests 'probably not', but they could just as easily change it back at some later date.

Either way, they clearly don't want people complaining/asking about having an option that doesn't work, and simply removing 'high' would cause a lot of questions even from new people about 'why does it only go up to medium'.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

bkpiazza
01.10.2012 , 05:52 PM | #819
That is one of the most ridiculous responses I have ever seen. Telling us hes circulating his response around the departments to make sure hes put the right "spin" on things...good god.

Renea
01.10.2012 , 05:53 PM | #820
On the one had I appreciate the communication on this issue, whether the news is good or bad.

On the other hand, I don't have a good feeling about what the news is going to be. The texture issue is taking away from how good the game looks, especially when we get high res textures in cinematics/conversations.