Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

Israel
12.13.2011 , 11:53 AM | #1
Quote:
Just to be clear, this thread is advocating an in-game Bioware built tool and not a third-party addon.

Recount is not just a "damage meter"... it is a graphical interface which allows you to view group activity in the combat log i.e. Damage Done over the duration of the fight by each player, Friendly Fire, Damage Taken, Healing Done, Absorbs, Healing Taken, Overhealing Done, Deaths, DOT Uptime, HOT Uptime, Player Combat Activity, Dispels, The Dispelled, Interrupts, Ressers, CC Breakers, Resources Gained, etc.

I believe these tools play an important role in identifying whether a player is doing well or under-performing. Nevertheless, these graphs should be the starting point – an indicator that you should be looking more closely at the situation. Used wisely, a tool like this could greatly improve guild performance.

Some individuals are fearful of an "elitist" backlash caused by the improper use of such a tool. Nevertheless, people have also argued that this tool would actually curb elitist behavior based on FACTS and DATA rather than Gear, Achievements, Spec, Gut Feeling or Favoritism.

The inevitability of undesirable behavior isn't something we can escape in a massive online community, so the real question is...

Would you rather be castigated based on factual data or would you rather take your chances with the "hunch" of a self seeking jerk?

With Recount

Jerk: Dude please leave the group your DPS sucks.

Without Recount

Jerk: Dude please leave the group you are wearing a green helm and your gear isn't good enough for this encounter. (You get kicked, even if you were top DPS)
-
EDIT: It would also totally eliminate "recount spam". They could disable all data broadcasts... If everyone has access to the information there would be no need to broadcast the results.

EDIT UPDATE: Fansite Summit: CRR Interview with Georg Zoeller
-
During the speed-fire round starting at 13:00 in the video. Georg confirms an out of game COMBAT LOG!

People will have access to combat logs please bring a recount version in the game!

I think Georg Zoeller understands our pain for not having a combat log at launch, let's hope they "get it right" and quickly. Georg's response to "No Combat Log at Launch"

People who don't like Recount.
!!█!█!█!█[į]█!█!!▐!▓▓▓ Achiever: 107%, Killer: 53%, Socializer: 33%, Explorer: 13% ▓▓▓▓)

Meluna
01.08.2012 , 01:37 PM | #2
Hello there, everyone! The previous version of this thread went over 1,000 posts and has been recreated. You can read the original conversation here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=5025.

We would like to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please remember that users are allowed to disagree with one another - repeatedly telling others to "stay on topic" or stating you are ignoring them is not constructive or conducive to healthy discussion. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone is respectful and polite to each other while giving their opinions. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.
  • Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being a troll, donít feed them. Simply do not reply and report (flag) the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.
Thanks for your understanding, and please enjoy your friendly discussion!

Gohlar
01.08.2012 , 01:39 PM | #3
No addons. In the end, they make the game easier. Not good.

More default UI flexibility? Yes.

GalacticKegger
01.08.2012 , 01:39 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Israel View Post
The inevitability of undesirable behavior isn't something we can escape in a massive online community, so the real question is...

Would you rather be castigated based on factual data or would you rather take your chances with the "hunch" of a self seeking jerk?
Metering avoids castigation? Seriously?
Peace out . . .

Badbonez
01.08.2012 , 01:40 PM | #5
I'd like it for personal reasons. It would give me a tool to see how well I am performing and provide feedback which would allow me to improve my gameplay.

But if it's used to kick someone out of a group...meh, that would suck.

PjPablo
01.08.2012 , 01:40 PM | #6
Lets get rid of health bars too while we are at it. I mean info makes the game too easy right. You'll know you're dead when you drop.

Sigmah
01.08.2012 , 01:41 PM | #7
Why even have damage numbers above a targets head appear? You know you hit your ability. It did damage. What do you care how much it did?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

DragonAgeOrgins
01.08.2012 , 01:41 PM | #8
We don't need add on's...

that's all I pretty much have to say. Maybe some people are having a withdrawl from not having a MOD tell them everything they need to know. Well adjust. What If I wanted a pink rainbow animal. Would I be able to get if I complained enough?

Yes to UI(They said they would do this)

NO to DRUGS and NO to ADD ON's.

Alexthree
01.08.2012 , 01:41 PM | #9
Thanks Meluna.

I'll just end my thoughts on the subject by saying that so long as combat logs, damage meters, addons and macros are optional secondary features that need to be sought out and enabled; there is no reason for anyone to argue against their existence.

If your only argument is "I want you to play the game the way I play it" then your opinion's value is diminished, and you may as well keep it to yourself.

Thunderslice
01.08.2012 , 01:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Gohlar View Post
No addons. In the end, they make the game easier. Not good.

More default UI flexibility? Yes.

really recount makes the game easier? more like exposes the bad players who are not pulling there weight in a grp, or suck at there class, only bad players support not have a damage meter and any way to record performance