Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

World first Operations - Casual/RPers need not reply.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
World first Operations - Casual/RPers need not reply.

Phuzz
12.15.2011 , 09:19 AM | #21
Im not into EGA yet - can I put the OP on Pre-Ignore ?

sounds like a total chump.

Kesitah
12.15.2011 , 09:32 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Vetorept View Post
Take anything and everything wow related and go back to there.

Seriously.

No one cares about your achievements and e-sports.
To be fair you should say *you* do not care about this. And probably a lot of people share your opinion. But "no one" is not correct. I am saying this despite not being a person who is into "World First Kills". This sounds too much like a job to me. There is even a site swtorprogress already (I think it is even done by the same people like wowprogress).

As to the matter asked: I think it will be like at WoW, the only thing mattering will be the kills in the highest difficulty level, and in the end (at the level of skill the "World first guilds" are) probably mainly who kills the final boss first. On highest difficulty setting.

How relevant this will be will I think largely depend on the difficulty level of nightmare difficulty operations.

There are already a lot of famous WoW Endgame guilds preparing for the content, like "For the Horde" who switched over from WoW, and the guild Irae Aod (I think they play several MMOs). So if the difficulty rating is hard enough the "usual suspects" will be up for the race as it seems (and potentially also some "newcomers"?)

And as always: Not everyone will be interested in that kind of thing. Have to admit myselves I also read the reports about the latest things of this kind of guilds always with a bit of amusement. Would be not my sort of thing to put in so much into a game like them. Still, interesting read. Like reading about your favourite sports club or whatever.

Xesorla
12.15.2011 , 10:38 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by -Arcane- View Post
This is a thread to the hardcore raiding portion of our community.

If this does not include you, do not reply.

How will you value any Guilds world first achievement given the staggered launch?

How does this compare to other MMO's?
This doesn't include me, but I just wanted to say Hi.

Teuras
12.15.2011 , 10:42 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Gereon View Post
Are there any world first achievment at all?
The people who do the world first kills, or even the server first kills, do not do it because of a badge or achievement.

Anthonytats
12.15.2011 , 11:55 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
The people who do the world first kills, or even the server first kills, do not do it because of a badge or achievement.
Yeah this...
On my Server a group of 24 of us just downed the Coruscant World Boss, which was a server first. (I realise its not an operation persay but ya know).

It just gives you a good feeling that you have done something no one else has (Actual game, not beta).
None of the guys and girls that did it want or even mentioned wishing for an "Server first achievement". We just did it because the robot owned us yesterday...

Its part of the game to want to be the first to do stuff within reason.
All we wanted was a pat on the back and a "Well done" which we got.
For me, Ops and Flash's are just about enjoying the game with a lot of other people and not bothering about "Well its already been killed so why bother"

ltankhsd
12.15.2011 , 02:50 PM | #26
Am I late to the casual roleplaying discussion?

Barleyarley
12.15.2011 , 03:36 PM | #27
Nobody will care much about tier 1 world firsts purely because there are so many variables that can benefit certain guilds that have a chance at it.

There are many ways to derive enjoyment from an MMO and progressive raiding is one of them, much like RP and PvP are others. It is no ones place to say what audience the game is made for because everybody would have been taken into consideration during development, so why flame people who are interested in world firsts?

It is dumb to say that nobody plays SWTOR for raiding because it is obviously untrue, if you're not interested in PvE progression then don't enter a thread about it. Simple.

raelimar
12.15.2011 , 03:50 PM | #28
Meh. Everybody had the opportunity to get in on day one of the early launch, it's not like it was a random lottery. Whining and moaning about how the game doesn't REALLY start until you're in is basically akin to buying the game months after everyone else, and then disregarding the achievements of people who came before you.

Getting in on day one is a big part of any world first achievement.
KRAETHOS
Operative - Requiem

Matrxhasyou
12.15.2011 , 03:50 PM | #29
I understand that the whole concept of "world first" and "server first" evolved out of a general sense of competition. Being the first to complete something challenging does make you feel good, because that means you didn't rely on help videos and step by step instructions online to do it (because they couldn't have been written yet.... because it hasn't been done lol).

As far as how I would value such achievements, I'd say in this particular game, it doesn't and should not apply... like ever. I know there is a positive side to the concept of world-first. But if there is any recognition of this achievement in an official sense, it WILL start a chain reaction of people mindlessly grinding out achievements ala xbox live. I've seen it before with many people I know and care about. I introduced several of my close friends to the world of MMOs, and they too fell into the trap of achievements. When they accomplished them, I asked them if it was worth it. "Meh" was their answer. Rift was popular for promoting this type of thing (and that was the game that got a lot of my friends hooked).

Sure it may give you a sense of accomplishment for a moment... but who will remember your name? Because of the potentially damaging affect it would have on the purpose of this MMO (due to design, it really should be of it's own genre), which is to tell a great story, too many people could be drawn in to the lure of stroking their e-egos, for a momentary sense of accomplishment that no one will ever remember or value beyond a few seconds... if that.

Addendum: To elaborate/clarify, I believe it would be damaging because you will start to see level 50 consulars wondering what the heck the "scorekeeper" is. You will see level 50 bounty hunters asking "what event is the "great hunt"? can I get achievements for it? When does it start?"

Ruan
12.15.2011 , 03:58 PM | #30
Thanks to the staggered launch I'll disregard world first anything.

Grats in advance on your head start, whoever.
Social features; cantinas, player housing, guild cities, these are what SWG did right.
PvP specific gear is the best way to kill PvP by segregating your player base.