Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

LAUNCHER.EXE won't even launch.

Enyxian
01.08.2012 , 11:44 AM | #1
Hi,

I've updated Java and all possible Windows Updates and am using the latest NVIDIA beta drivers.

I can't seem to launch SWTOR at all. The Launcher.exe file is broken. I've deleted the PATCH folder and then tried FixLauncher.exe (which runs for a while and closes by itself - is this normal?) but still no luck at launching the game. It ran fine yesterday, save for the bad FPS and constant crashes that's currently plaguing the game since the last patch - I can't land my Sith Warrior on Alderaan. Stuck in the ship, just messing around with professions instead.

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Computer specs at my signature.
i7 3960X 3.3ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB RipjawsZ 1600mhz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | GSkill 60GB Phoenix Pro SSD + Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 2.0TB + Western Digital Green 2.0TB | HP dvd1270 | Corsair AX1200 Gold | Corsair Obsidian 800D | 3x Dell U2311H 23" WS HD IPS LCD + Asus GTX 590 Quad SLI

skuzn
01.08.2012 , 11:46 AM | #2
had a similar problem, got an Email back, this is what they wrote in it.
Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, human cyborg relations.

I have received your transmission regarding patching the game client.

I’m afraid that this response is rather lengthy, but I would ask you to please read through it all as the information we request from you will be of great help to us in diagnosing the root cause of the trouble you are having with the launcher.

Could you please check that:

1. Star Wars: The Old Republic is installed to the default directory

- For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
or
- For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

2. Exceptions for SWTOR.EXE and Launcher.EXE have been added to your Anti-Virus and Firewall programs.

- Please follow the guide below on how to change your Windows Firewall settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ndows-Firewall

- For assistance on creating exceptions with all other brands of Firewall and Anti-Virus software, please refer to the software provider for instructions. (Please note that we cannot accept responsibility for content on any external websites).

3. The Repair Function has been run through your launcher window.

- To access this please click on the 'cog wheel' button located in the bottom left hand corner of the launcher window. This will open a Settings menu where you will be able to find and click on the Repair button.

4. You have User Access Control (UAC) temporarily disabled on your computer while installing through your launcher.

- For Windows 7 operating systems - click on the Start button, then Control Panel. From there, type 'uac' into the search box. In the search results select 'Change User Account Control Settings'. To temporarily disable UAC adjust the slider to the 'Never Notify' position and then click OK.

- For Windows Vista Operating systems - click on the Start button, then Control Panel. From there click on User Accounts and Family Safety. You should now see the option to turn UAC on or off. Please make sure that you uncheck the box which states 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer'. This will now successfully disable your UAC.

Once Launcher Installation is complete, we would strongly advise that you switch User Account Control back on following the same steps as above.

If you continue to experience problems with your launcher after confirming these steps, please reply to this email, attaching an up-to-date set of launcher logs, and a dxdiag of your system.

If you continue to experience problems with your launcher after confirming these steps, please reply to this email, attaching an up-to-date set of launcher logs, and a dxdiag of your system.

Here’s how to find your logs and dxdiag:

Launcher logs are usually at either of these default locations:

- For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
or
- For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs

Launcher logs look like this: “launcher_112610.txt”

To run a dxdiag on your system and save the log, please do the following:

- Click on the Start button
- Type dxdiag into the Search/Run box
- Select the "Save All Information" button
- This will create a dxdiag.txt file
- Please save the file to a location that is easy to remember, as you’ll need to attach it to your reply.

As well as these files, we would appreciate that, if possible, you include answers to the following questions:

1. If your Star Wars: The Old Republic game client was previously not installed to the default directory, please tell us the location it was originally installed to.
a. Do you have multiple internal hard drives, or a partitioned hard drive?
b. If so was the game installed to one of these?
2. Was the game initially installed to any sort of external hard drive?
3. Do you use any 3rd party firewall programs or anti-virus software?
a. If so, which programs do you use?
b. Which settings do you use?
4. Is there a file called Install Star Wars – The Old Republic.log located in the folder C:\Users\”Username”\Documents?
5. Have you previously been able to successfully launch the patcher?
a. If so, have you made any changes (physical hardware or software updates) to your machine since then?
b. Have you altered or updated any program files while Star Wars: The Old Republic was patching?

As we asked back at the start of this mail, please reply to this message, answering the above questions and attaching the requested files, and we will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

Thank you for continued patience and understanding, and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Galactic Support is our specialty...

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0
Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service

Hope that was helpful
for the empire!

Enyxian
01.08.2012 , 11:49 AM | #3
Hey man thanks for the reply. I've tried those steps. Didn't work either.
i7 3960X 3.3ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB RipjawsZ 1600mhz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | GSkill 60GB Phoenix Pro SSD + Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 2.0TB + Western Digital Green 2.0TB | HP dvd1270 | Corsair AX1200 Gold | Corsair Obsidian 800D | 3x Dell U2311H 23" WS HD IPS LCD + Asus GTX 590 Quad SLI

Enyxian
01.08.2012 , 11:50 AM | #4
And I can't try those steps that require the LAUNCHER.exe to actually work. -_-

skuzn
01.08.2012 , 11:55 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Enyxian View Post
And I can't try those steps that require the LAUNCHER.exe to actually work. -_-
Thats all I got from bioware. I just re-installed the game, and it started to work. I suggest trying to simply re-install launcher (w.o. deleting anything) if that doesnt work, re-download the game.
for the empire!

Enyxian
01.08.2012 , 11:57 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by skuzn View Post
Thats all I got from bioware. I just re-installed the game, and it started to work. I suggest trying to simply re-install launcher (w.o. deleting anything) if that doesnt work, re-download the game.
I'll do that. Will get back to ya.

dingoperson
01.08.2012 , 11:59 AM | #7
Some people had luck downloading the SWTor_setup.exe file again. Make sure you put it / install it in the same folder as your old one. You can download it from 'My Account' up top.

Enyxian
01.08.2012 , 12:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dingoperson View Post
Some people had luck downloading the SWTor_setup.exe file again. Make sure you put it / install it in the same folder as your old one. You can download it from 'My Account' up top.
Tried that too. Will uninstall and reinstall when I have the time. Gonna go sleep. It's 2am here

Enyxian
01.08.2012 , 12:18 PM | #9
Reinstalled onto another hard drive, same system. Still same issue. Launcher.exe won't run.

Packetdancer
01.08.2012 , 01:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Enyxian View Post
Reinstalled onto another hard drive, same system. Still same issue. Launcher.exe won't run.
There's some less-obvious, less-intuitive fixes going around as well, if any of them help.

For instance, are you a musician or video editor? There is some sort of odd conflict for some folks with the Korg USB MIDI drivers, and with the Avid video editing toolset drivers; if that's the source of your problem, if you unplug those devices from the computer the launcher will work.

In addition, if you have a GameGuard-powered game's launcher sitting in the systray to handle background updates, GG will sometimes shoot down the launcher for reasons that don't seem entirely clear. In general, anything you don't need running, try quitting it to ensure there's no conflict.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.