Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybinding Tips for new MMO players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Keybinding Tips for new MMO players

txreef
07.15.2012 , 05:12 PM | #31
Great thread, thanks for posting this. I've been trying to reorganize my keyboard and this helps a lot!

StevieStreets
03.23.2013 , 01:06 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by SharpieFiend View Post
Try the Logitech G13 if you're having problems using the keyboard - it's far easier to use once you get it set up.
I've just purchased one of these and wondering if you've got any advice for setup? I'm using the g13 and the g700 mouse.

I'm thinking or returning all my default keyboard keybinds back to default and then mapping the G13 to those keys. Might be a good idea for when rolling alt's and having to re enter your entire keybind system for new characters.

Uvirith
03.25.2013 , 03:38 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by imanujakku View Post
Movement
i rebind :
Move Foward: E
Strafe Left: S
Strafe Right F
by rebinding movement to E, S, F the tab and 1 key becomes slighty harder to reach but 6 is now easier to reach and Y,H and N are also in play as well. I do not rebind Turn Left or Turn Right. Instead when i wish to turn i keep the right button on my mouse down and turn the camera with the mouse.
There are 2 major problems with ESDF compared to WASD. First, if you have a gaming-keyboard you use your left pinkie to utilize the 6 custom buttons. they are definitely to far away using ESDF
Second. Many of us do the 10finger-system. Its like second nature, like riding or driving a car. If you move the standard fingersetting to the right, you lose all advantages
Quote:
7. Y
8. H
9. N
10. Mouse button 3 (clicking the scroll wheel)
11. Mouse button 4 (the first side button)
12. Mouse button 5 (the second side button)
To fully utilize a gaming-mouse you have to Shift-Toggle the mousebuttons too. Shift+MB3/4/5 is really easy to use.
in addtion, dont forget MB6+7 (tilting the scrollwheel)
Quote:
7. Alt Z
8. Alt X
9. Alt C
10. Alt Q
11. Alt A
12. Alt D
Some people are super ninja and hotkey instants to the shift and alt clicks. i have trouble doing this and still moving unless its forward so i make these all abilities that have to lower priority abilities that have cast times or are channeled.
Im no fan of ALT-Toggle either. I too think pressing ALT pulls the focus off the movement.
Quote:
TAB - i change to target closest enemy. Again this is a pvp preference. Cycling through targets can cost you time you dont have so get in the habit of click targeting (i know very hard to do in lightsaber/force lightning soup) but if you get good at it will help you establish a target as fast as possible.
I use Q for next enemy and TAB for Last Enemy. Thats mandatory for PvP.
Quote:
i hope this helps people just getting started. Its by no means the only way or the best way to bind you keys its just what ive found works for me after 7 years of mmo play. The hardest thing to get use to rebinding the movement keys especially if you are used to the WASD configuration but it shouldnt take more than a couple play sessions
In 15 years of mmo wth plenty of experience in teaching playstyle (such as keybinds, basic movement, selecting targets in PvP and combat awareness in PvE) I have to say, your setting is mostly valid.
However, I wouldnt recommend the change from WASD to ESDF for new players and especially not for everyone who is trained at typewriting.
Oh, and as a small hint fo you, try utilizing your mousekeys more, you will se its worth it

Greetz,
Uvi
Uviryth Hammerhand, Kinetic Combat-Shadow
<Founder>

jimje
03.25.2013 , 04:02 PM | #34
I would like a simple question answered. How do you map a key to something on the quickbar?

ClaudeTaylor
04.17.2013 , 05:30 AM | #35
But what if you left handed?

timewyrm
04.17.2013 , 05:52 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by ClaudeTaylor View Post
But what if you left handed?
I'm using my mouse with left hand; moving with nav keys; everything else with numpad, and the group of 6 buttons (ins, home etc). Heals and stims are on F10-F12.

Using mouse for moving is better though (as in faster, espcially for kiting).

redfurry
04.17.2013 , 06:01 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by jimje View Post
I would like a simple question answered. How do you map a key to something on the quickbar?
Preferences / Keybinds tab / Quickbars, IIRC. You will find you can map keys to the quickbar slots sorted by position, i.e. Quickbar 1 slot 1, and so on. You can then place an ability or item in that quickbar slot and it becomes bound to the key.

Tito_O
04.18.2013 , 07:41 AM | #38
Do not forget that you are able to bind Hotkeys to Mouse-Wheel-Up and Mouse-Wheel-Down, which I find particularly useful for spamable attacks.
Together with the shift-modifier you get 4 Hotkeys for your index finger! You just have to move the camera-zoom, for example to Alt-MWU/D

I use the basic attack on MWU, the first Resource-consuming attack on MWD, and Shift-MWU/D are bound to my interrupt skill and my break-out-of-stun-skill.

If you care about it, this is my setup: (WASD-Moving)
Hotbar 1: MWU - MWD - Q - E - R - F - C - MB4 - MB5 - 3 - 4 - 5
Hotbar 2: like Hotbar 1 just with shift-modifier
Hotbar 3: 1 - 2 - (empty) - S+1 - S+2 - (empty) - MB3 - (empty) - T - G - S+B - B

As you can see, my left index finger has by far the most hotkeys to press, limiting my strafing ability a bit, but so far I got along pretty good, since I rarely have skills that are usable while moving.
The Coric Legacy
Nate | Pinkamina | Syskal | Cas
Zhali | Raykal | Orivik | Viraana | Geviin | Shim'rra | Vestarah | Yuun-harla
[T3-M4]

Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.18.2013 , 09:16 AM | #39
There's a simple 80$ solution to not needing to rebind keys. the Steelseries Merc Stealth. its the best 80$ you will ever spend on your computer. http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Me.../dp/B00292OW1U Hey and on amazon its on sale now! just buy one and you will never need to rebind keys often. It even comes with software to help bind keys better!