Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybinding Tips for new MMO players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Keybinding Tips for new MMO players

RogueRaptor
01.25.2012 , 02:43 AM | #21
Thank you OP for this amazing post!

I have the exact same setup and have been struggling for a month trying to find my comfort zone. Indeed the switch from WSAD takes a little getting used to, but the ESF setup is genius. Now I can hit that shift key with my little finger which means I can bind more skills to the more accessible keys. One example is my 4 most used abilities to the two side buttons on the Xai. Only shame is that they click so loud

By the way, have you managed to get those two other (right) side buttons on the Xai going? I've tried using the software to macro/bind them to space bar but it only works intermittently.

One last thing - if you have a setup for a Jedi Knight I'd be ever so grateful for some suggestions! Force Sweep on D is brilliant

Thanks again for a very helpful post!

Dragondog
03.09.2012 , 11:40 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by imanujakku View Post
Final thoughts : Bind similar abilities near each other on the keyboard. For example and if you are healer bind 1-3 and QWA to be your heals and you be come to associate that part of the keyboard with healing.
Taking imanujakku advice on binding similar abilities near each other, as well as a couple of his other ideas, I've decided to bind the bottom center quickslots in this order.

1. Q
2. W
3. A
4. R
5. T
6. G
7. D
8. X
9. Z
10. C
11. V
12. B

Thus the left portion of my main quickslots and the bottom quickslots are 1-3 and Q, W, A which are on the left side of the keyboard. Then R, T, and G are below 4-6 as the center left side of the quickslots and just to the right of the ESF movement keys.

Since the rest of the main quickslots aren't bound to numbers, I have D, X as the below the E key group. Ending with Z, C, V, B as the bottom group

I admit that I haven't tried this out yet, but as I was working on rebinding the keys and thought about the advice in this thread, I wanted to share my newbie insights.

I hope they will help someone.
Bartle Test Results: Explorer: 73%, Achiever: 67%, Socializer: 47%, Killer: 13%
Reward-Driven 60% Exploratory 100% Physical -25% Thoughtful 42% Social -26% Competitive -100%
CE VIP

CJAShadow
03.09.2012 , 12:07 PM | #23
I feel as though the "key" idea with keybinding is placing skills in areas so they are easy to rotate throughout a lot of hand movement.

Putting skills close to movement keys also help out with overall play. I use a simple old Dell keyboard with a $10 microsoft mouse (no extra keys). I enjoy playing like this because I've played all other games like this.

I'll share my logic with the keys:

1) Make a list of all the skills you will use on your character, in any situation.
-even healers dps
-even tanks heal
-even dps buffs/debuffs

2) separate your skills into 5 categories:
- incombat healing
- incombat buffs/tanking (escape moves also fit here)
- dps skills
- opening combat moves (moves that you lead into combat, like long CCs)
- out of combat skills (hour long buffs and speeder)

3) separate your AOE from your single target DPS- very important in group play

4) take your incombat cast bar skills and put them in another category. They dont need to be very close to your movement skills

5) move your movement keys to esdf (i backpedal as a scoundrel cause i need to be behind a player often)

6) Now that you separated the skills, put them in a comfortable places.

Mine are:
instant cast incombat healing: QWA
instant cast AOE dps: 23
instant cast single dps 45RTYGHJV
Cast time incombat skills: F1 F2 F3 F4 F5
incombat heals/tanking: zxc and shift keys
combat opening moves: Shift+ the letter the skill starts with (makes it easier to remember...)
out of combat skills: F9 F10 F11

skills of note:
My Interrupt is 1 because I need to be able to move and hit it quickly.
My escape CC command is 6.... cause hit 6 when everything is s**t.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lock- Master Zhar Lestin
Cyann- Harbinger

solidstne
03.20.2012 , 04:41 PM | #24
thankyou
"Guns dont kill people Bullets do"

"This game is the best of both worlds, a highly detailed Bioware story based RPG, and an MMO. It's the chocolate and peanut butter of games! ^_^" - JediElf

AetherMcLoud
03.20.2012 , 04:49 PM | #25
I too use EDSF for moving around.

QAYXCVBGTWRZH = Rotational, heavy used abilities
12345 = Stances, CC's
Shift+QAYCVDFGTR = Situational abilities, Cooldowns, Items
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

pointvector
03.20.2012 , 08:41 PM | #26
This is my first mmo as well. And I'll share my keybindings, not that they're better, just different. I use wasd to move around. I come from fps games after all. then I turn on all the quickbars. I use qertfgzxcvb on the first bar. Now I bought the razer naga....and it is absolutely AWESOME. I have my second quickbar slotted for the 1-12 buttons. (the last ones are - and =, but you get me) I have options on the side, but they are rarely used options like cc or something that I can just click on that's no big deal. one other thing, my last slot on my first quickbar is not mended, I use my special ability on that one. I think everyone has it....the one with the 25 minute cooldown. That is so long it doens'nt deserve a keybinding
-good luck

MasterFeign
03.23.2012 , 12:18 PM | #27
Stupid question, but in a keybinding setup, would people still use the left mouse click as a basic attack? Or is that defaulted regardless? and should I still keybind my basic (non-costing attack) to something that is easily typable?

Also I have enabled the setting where if you click something that isn't the target, the current target is removed, should I leave that as is?

Thangunis
04.01.2012 , 05:21 PM | #28
Does anyone know if 1.2 is gonna fix all the problems with reassigning keybinding....

DrillThrall
04.02.2012 , 02:05 AM | #29
I'm going to give ESDF a try. This is a great thread!
Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 model 086228 (HDD/SSD Hybrid)
Intel Core I7-2630QM 2.0G, 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Nvidia Optimus GeForce GT 555M

Baelish
04.02.2012 , 02:35 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
Stupid question, but in a keybinding setup, would people still use the left mouse click as a basic attack?
Left mouse selects things. The mouse key that activates an ability is the right hand one.

Quote:
Or is that defaulted regardless?
RMB will always activate the ability that is in upper middle quickslot 1.

Quote:
and should I still keybind my basic (non-costing attack) to something that is easily typable?
Yep.

Quote:
Also I have enabled the setting where if you click something that isn't the target, the current target is removed, should I leave that as is?
Personally, I would find that deeply inconvenient. Using the mouse for turning, there are lots of times when you're potentially clicking nowhere near anything you'd want to target. Being able to drop target with a mouseclick is not something I've ever missed being able to do; ESC works just fine.