Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybinding Tips for new MMO players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Keybinding Tips for new MMO players

Wucash
01.09.2012 , 10:54 AM | #11
I was actually wondering, is there a way to map the ` key? (The one left of 1). I've used it in WoW, and it's maddening I can't use it here.

Sivn
01.09.2012 , 11:27 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wucash View Post
I was actually wondering, is there a way to map the ` key? (The one left of 1). I've used it in WoW, and it's maddening I can't use it here.
I used it all the time in WoW also.

But for UK keyboard layout, SWTOR doesnt allow us to bind or rebind it at all. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

BJMH
01.21.2012 , 07:24 AM | #13
That's strange, I used ` key and it's totally OK.

Thank you for the post, thanks to it I totally changed the way I play!

roadrunnerNM
01.21.2012 , 01:51 PM | #14
HOW do I assign keybinds to my extra hotbars? They're not listed in the Keybinding section of the Preferences ....

EDIT:
D'oh! OK, if they're anybody else out there as slow as I am (I hope not...), here's a hint: go to Preferences, then Controls, then Keybindings, and look at the left side of the screen, not just the right ...

Ancaglon
01.23.2012 , 08:59 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Jonuts View Post
W: Forward
S: Back
A: Strafe Left
Shift-A: Turn Left
D: Strafe Right
Shift-D: Turn Right
I like this idea a lot. I might change it so shift-S is the back button too, so if I need to I can keyboard-turn/back up but it should encourage me to avoid keyboard turning.

Ancaglon
01.23.2012 , 09:00 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sivn View Post
I used it all the time in WoW also.

But for UK keyboard layout, SWTOR doesnt allow us to bind or rebind it at all. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
Thanks for confirming this, I was wondering if it was the fact I was using a G15 that was messing it up. I did file 1 bug report but I got the usual "passed on blah blah have a nice day" response.

Necodreus
01.23.2012 , 09:11 AM | #17
I just got a G510 and naga mouse and i love them, my only problem is im slow on figuring out how to set up profiles, and things, anyone that can help or know of a site i can check out would be appreciated... having 1 1-12 buttons on side of mouse is so nice
Primary Edict: Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit. It is the balance to life: death. Squadron 238B

Cirindi
01.23.2012 , 09:18 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Wucash View Post
I use the grave/tilde (~/`) key for my push to talk on vent. In-game it was bound to opening and closing the companion tool bar. I just unbound it. It's been working fine.
Common sense is like deodorant; the ones that really need it, don't use it.

Ahkronn
01.23.2012 , 09:29 AM | #19
My key in question is the \ but I'll write this as it was the ' to better understanding.

I've substituted the key ' with the key -

In the following script I'll use the key - as replacement, but you may use any other key you're not using ingame.

You'll need http://www.autohotkey.com/

Use this script:

Code:
'::-
-::'
^'::^-
^-::^'
now your keys are interchanged. Also works with ctrl and alt pressed (Thus the ^ in the script).

Owsley
01.23.2012 , 10:18 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Necodreus View Post
I just got a G510 and naga mouse and i love them, my only problem is im slow on figuring out how to set up profiles, and things, anyone that can help or know of a site i can check out would be appreciated... having 1 1-12 buttons on side of mouse is so nice
You bind your profile to the SWTOR exe not the launcher exe. You can also select the profile from the display and lock it (great if you dump out for some reason or something else gets the focus). You can't beat 3 banks of 18 G keys. I have my banks color coded. Bank 1: Red for war (main toolbar), Bank 2: Green for healing (left quickbar), Bank 3: Blue for Misc. stuff (right quickbar). I use the extra G keys (13-18) for mount/dismount, jump (spacebar), my default recovry ability, spaceship toggles, etc. Having the keyboard change color when switching banks of keys is a great feature. I just upgraded from an old G15 and this feature really helps a lot.